Nevada 161-164 Deer

Anyone familiar with these units?? Looking for some starting points as far as access and what to expect etc...I own horses and pack mules but not sure if it will be worth it to haul them yet...is the wilderness areas in 161-162 the best place to start scouting or do those areas get just as busy as the roaded areas?? Any info would be greatly appreciated

BagNTagM

FNG
Early or late tag? I was in 162 for mid bull, Nov 6-20, I saw some dandy bucks in there the beggining of November.

BagNTagM

FNG
We got the early rifle tags...October 5th-20th

The bucks I spotted were running does, so might not help too much. I hunted outside the wilderness in 162, saw the bucks in old burns. Good luck on your hunt, seems like a great unit.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
PM sent......scouted the table last year and saw some dandy bucks in late September. I would highly suggest at least one pack animal in this country.

BG775

FNG
I have the late rifle tag, but haven’t hunted the area either. There seems to be a lot of good choices to hunt. Probably more ares than I have tune to scout properly.

SouthPaw

WKR
I drew the Archery tag in this unit. I've PM'd a few of you but if anyone is willing to talk about experience in these units (particularly in wilderness) to a first-timer to NV I'd love to pick your brain.

Wish I would have been a part of this forum to help you guys last year! Hunted Bulls twice in 162 wilderness and saw some incredible deer! Also found a monster 34" deadhead on east side 162 and about a 170-180 5x4 someone must have arrowed or shot during muzzy season on Table Mountain Wilderness. How did your hunts go?! Might be applying for early 16 muley hunt as our party should have enough resident points to draw.

camphuntfish247

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I are headed up for early season rifle this weekend! We’ve been applying for 8 years for this hunt, so excited! Anyone have any tips on where we should spend our time in 162? Or even where we should start? Also interested in any thoughts you might have on if there’s any local packers in that area you might recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cscott925

FNG
I drew the Archery tag in this unit. I've PM'd a few of you but if anyone is willing to talk about experience in these units (particularly in wilderness) to a first-timer to NV I'd love to pick your brain.
How'd your hunt go? I applied for the archery tag this year with 3 points, so no guarantee but i'm doing some research on the area just in case. Get any good insight from other members back when you posted this? Thanks!

SouthPaw

WKR
How'd your hunt go? I applied for the archery tag this year with 3 points, so no guarantee but i'm doing some research on the area just in case. Get any good insight from other members back when you posted this? Thanks!
PM me if you draw the tag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BGnight

FNG
Early or late tag? I was in 162 for mid bull, Nov 6-20, I saw some dandy bucks in there the beggining of November.
Funny, I had a late bull tag in 162 in 2019. I hunted for 3 days in fresh snow and never saw a deer or a deer track. I was hunting primarily on the east side of Table mountain wilderness and on the west side well south of the wilderness. I was shocked I never saw any sign. I always thought Antelope peak/Summit mountian on the north end of 162 looked good for mule deer though.

Last edited:

Zbot

WKR
Have the early rifle tag this year if anybody has any starter points.

AAABucko

FNG
I enjoy the north side of 162 monitors. Good glassing opportunities. Go with normal approaches as you would everywhere. You’ll find em. You can PM me if you want. Goodluck!

ccfdcal

FNG
I'm heading up in this area for the late rifle 10/21-11/5. I'd love any suggestions. I was up there in the beginning of Sept and it was really warm. Didn't see much in 162, just a few does and a couple forks. It's a very vast area.

aovard3

FNG
Hey guys! I have this early rifle deer tag this year. We are leaving in a week to go scout few days before the hunt. 161-164.
Any pointers on areas to start glassing good bucks for those that have hunted unit before? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Hey guys! I have this early rifle deer tag this year. We are leaving in a week to go scout few days before the hunt. 161-164.
Any pointers on areas to start glassing good bucks for those that have hunted unit before? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you
look for them in the mountains

Headed out to early season rifle this weekend. Just picked up a FCFS tag. Any pointers of where to start? Not super picky but willing and able to put in some work to find them if needed.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Headed out to early season rifle this weekend. Just picked up a FCFS tag. Any pointers of where to start? Not super picky but willing and able to put in some work to find them if needed.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Willing to put in “some” work to find them “if” needed?

Hell of a first post man, welcome to the forum. We don’t give these kinds of handouts here. You’ll need to stick around and contribute for awhile and maybe next year have a solid plan to run by people here. But I’m glad you won’t be super picky!C68B394C-818E-42FB-B3AD-2B434E3F087C.jpeg