Nevada Antelope Advice Needed

nphunter

WKR
Guys I got lucky and got an alternate tag for Unit 51 archery horns longer than ears antelope tag. I’m not familiar with the area and would love any pointers or advice from anyone that has hunted it. I put in because I was hoping to draw the early archery deer tag and though it would be fun to have both. I have my fingers crossed that someone turns one of those back as well:)

I’ve hunted antelope with my bow in Southern Oregon and have hunted mule deer in the trout creeks which is pretty close to 51, I assume antelope distribution will be similar to the trout creeks in which i saw a pile of antelope last fall.
I’m planning on going early August, season starts Aug 1st, I have good glass and plan to sit water unless I see something in a stackable location.
I would love to hear from anyone who has hunted the area, tips, terrain, a starting point. I hope to be able to make it down in July to scout the area out.

Thanks in advance.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
This year, I suspect its going to be find water- you'll find animals. Its gonna be a dry one.
That’s what I’ve heard, Seems weird because I live in Northeast Oregon and it hasn’t stopped raining here for the last month it snowed up until last week we have way more water than normal here. We’re like 250% plus over snowpack and everything is flooding. Seems crazy 4hrs away is in an extreme drought.

051071C2-461A-4681-8CE4-9455A899CF4E.png

TJ M

FNG
I have not hunted 51 archery, but I've been on numerous 51 rifle hunts. Camping can be kind of brutal, but we have always had success in the hills north of Paradise, rather than in the flats. Water is key. I'd recommend reaching out to the biologist to see if they can turn you on to some possible water sources. Good luck!

Desert Hntr

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 68 last year and it was a way different world than NM antelope. These critters are in much less density and the name of the game is definitely water right now. But I am a spot and stalk guy so I stuck around the foothills which made it much easier to stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Had an awesome Nevada Archery Antelope hunt with my son! Blew several stalks the first day and found a nice remote waterhole that was being used a lot. We ended up setting up a blind in the willows and sitting in the blind about 1.5hrs. My first animal from a stand of any sort.
The buck was quartered toward me, I held on the shoulder and made a great hit. He only went about 30 yards, stood there and fell over. All the other antelope stayed and watched him until we left the blind. Was awesome having my boy there ranging for me!! Can’t wait for the opportunity to go back!!

E4E18887-C32A-4EFB-9FE1-8F181645AB8E.jpeg