Nevada Bighorn

Hello all,

I am relatively new to hunting and to this forum.

This is my first official post and for the sake of adding conversation I have posed a question for those of you who have successfully drawn Nevada bighorn tags.

"How many points did it take you? Were you a resident or nonresident?"

This was my first year applying and as expected, I didn't draw either of the species. I understand this is a long game, but being 24 I feel like I have time on my side (hopefully) given the way Nevada's bonus point system works.

idig4au

WKR
I’ve been applying and building points since 1997. Going on 25 years. I was about your age when I started applying. I’ve been both resident and non resident status during this time. It’s really a matter of luck in the draw, which apparently I have very little of

Mt Al

WKR
Welcome! You can't win if you don't play. According to many hunters, every state's lottery for sheep, moose, goats, etc, is terrible, flawed and without merit. Doesn't matter, it is what it is. Took me 20 years on Montana. My opinion: put in and remain patient.

Specialk

Lil-Rokslider
I got lucky this year and drew desert sheep with 11 points as a resident. Nevada’s system is great, you’ve got a “chance” at drawing every year…Should be well worth the wait

OP
R
I got lucky this year and drew desert sheep with 11 points as a resident. Nevada’s system is great, you’ve got a “chance” at drawing every year…Should be well worth the wait
I forgot to mention that I am applying as NR. Regardless, I am optimistic in the hopes that I will eventually draw. Coming from California's system (point creep) I can appreciate Nevada's wildlife management and that chance every year to draw.

I apply every year. I likely will never draw a bighorn tag. I also buys points for mule deer antelope and elk. When my kids grow I will be entering those draws as well.

You will never win if you don’t play and Nevada is well known now for giving away the most NR tags. You could also apply Wyoming and Montana but likely won’t catch the preference point curve. Idaho is a straight lottery as well.

I figure most Americans spend more on lottery tickets each year than I spend on points across 4 states. It’s kinda like crypto for me. I might not ever make a million but if I don’t try I definitely won’t and if I don’t start now then I will regret it in 20 years.