Nevada Deer Hunt Done

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Way to go! You did a great job and pulled out a victory from the jaws of defeat!

That is what is great about archery, you sometimes get a 2nd (3rd???) chance!

Way to keep it together after the first two misses, that is where I usually fall apart.

You also pointed out something about rangefinders I don't read very often: Even the best rangfinder in real field conditions can be tricky because you can't expose yourself enough to always get a great reading and you can't always be sure you're ranging the deer and not grass, etc.

Good job and thanks for livening this place up!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
CK....I have a guy who says he can do it. If it works I will post his process. Also, Ed has done it himself. In short, Velvet tan in the field, once home, he covers antlers with plastic, boils skull briefly and then power washes skull clean. After that he freezes entire thing for 3 months and it has worked for him.

The Ulmer Edge left a blood trail like none I have ever seen. It look like gallons of blood poured out with a bucket. The two misses, one was destroyed on rocks, the other survived, but will be permanent practice head. The blades were all dinged up from the rocks, do I will use it for practice.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, for those running the Sawyer Squeeze Filter. I had the 64 oz. bag split on me on day 4 (I think). It split right near the plastic opening where the filter screws onto. I probably got about 20 liters of water through it before it failed. I didn't bring any other bags with me, but fortunately I had brought some tablets. Just a heads up if you use one, to maybe bring an extra bag. I hate bringing spares of anything as I think $hit should just work. So I am either going back to tablets or my Hiker Pro.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't to bad Ryan. Thunderstorms everyday except one. Couple days mid week that were hot, which sent us looking for shade.

I had the chance a couple days to watch several bucks bed early and without fail they got up at least once every couple of hours and changed beds to some degree. So if your one to stop classing once you see bucks bed, I would stick with it just in case you spot the big buck you didn't know was there as he is changing beds.

OR Archer

WKR
Nice job. Thats a great buck. Nevada is on my radar for the coming years and this just stokes the flames even more.

How did you like the performance of the Ulmer Edge?

D

david long

Congrats Doug! Your post is getting me fired up for the Colorado opener in one week!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ulmer Edge is excellent, it truely flies exactly where my field points do out to long range. The blood trail was like no other. I am going to try it on an elk, even though I have my worries with an expandable on that type of game, but going to give it a go.

Pueblo

FNG
Thanks for sharing! I'm headed for Colorado this week but this makes me wish I'd done Nevada instead...the big open mountains and the vistas from the tops of the draws out into the desert valleys are hard to beat, and Nevada does a great job managing the herds while providing opportunity for archers. Despite the missed shots it sounds like you kept your cool and solved the problem, something I've not always been able to do, although several of my bucks have been taken on the second shot.

bowuntr

WKR
Awesome hunt Doug, glad I was part of it and congrats on your buck. Let me tell you something guys.... Rosinbag is a mountain man stud that knows more about backcountry equipment than no other. If he says it... you better believe it. We tested our equipment and bodies on this hunt. I'm gonna have to upgrade my pack, tent, filter... I ended up drawing some blood as well and will tell my story a little later. Ed F