Nevada Elk Caliber Selection

jerkeejoe

FNG
Just drew a bull tag for Area 13 in Nevada. This will be my first time hunting elk. I've read a dozen articles and posts about what caliber and bullets are best, but figured I might as well ask here too and get some input.

I'm on the fence between a 6.5 SAUM with a 147 ELD-M and a 300WM with a 212 ELD-X. The 300 will obviously get the job done, but I'd prefer to hunt with the SAUM if it is enough gun and bullet to get the job done.

I appreciate any input and advice.

LightFoot

WKR
I don't get why people use match bullets for hunting.

I would use the eld-x if you are going with the 6.5. Or even better a partition, a-frame, ttsx or some other high weight retention bullet.

I would go with the 300 with a quality 165+ grain bullet, depending on what your gun likes. The eld-x would be great. I took down a good stag with the 178 eld-x in a 30-06 at 225 yds.(I'm not a sniper )

Either gun will work. Why risk a once in a lifetime on an "adequate" choice?

Let me be clear. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 6.5 for elk, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

The real question is which do you shoot better and which is easier to carry? A 6lb 6.5 would get the nod over a 14lb 300.

Good luck. Don't overthink it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lvtuna

FNG
300 RUM is awesome. I have taken two elk from 23 with it. Enjoy 13 it is beautiful.

2five7

WKR
Are you buying a gun for the trip, or do you already have one of those calibers? Either will work fine, but if you are buying a purpose but rifle for elk, the 300 gets the nod.

Wrench

WKR
Take them both. Nevada tag deservesa back up. Shoot the one you shoot best first.

OP
J

jerkeejoe

FNG
Thanks for all of the feedback. I own both guns already.

The SAUM is on a bighorn action with a Proof barrel, an MDT LSS, and a Vortex AMG, so its a lightweight laser.

The 300 is a Desert Tech A2 with a 22” barrel and an AMG. Definitely heavier, but not terrible.

Either one will be suppressed with a SiCo Omega. I’m very comfortable with both and shoot both well, but the SAUM is definitely lighter. If the SAUM wasnt lighter and easier to carry I’d definitely go with the DT 300.

As for bullet selection, a lot of reading seems to reveal that many of the ELD-M bullets perform just as well as the ELD-X bullets on game. I’ve never been able to get a partition to shoot worth a damn beyond a few hundred yards.

amassi

WKR
Both are great elk rounds.
You'll probably spend considerably more time carrying it than shooting it, which is more pleasurable to pack around ?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’m taking my Bighorn TL3 with 22in Proof 6.5 CM, plus MPA BA Lite plus Omega can to MT this fall for elk. It did a number on my Antelope last year, and bordered on overkill with 143 gr ELD-Xs. I’ve got no hesitation with elk, being able to hit what I’m aiming at is the number one consideration for me. I’m 100% confident with that rifle, just super smooth, great balance of weight, precision, and recoil.

I considered picking up a proof 300 WSM barrel for it, but for now I see no reason. Sure, the 300 offers a bit more “wiggle room” but if I need wiggle room then I probably shouldn’t be taking the shot to begin with.

Bye the way how do you like your AMG’s? I’ve got a gen 1 Razor HD on that rifle right now, considering upgrading to the AMG next year.

6.5 fine under 400ish, match bullet no. Those copper Hornady GMX bullets or Barnes bullets are stupid accurate and make any smaller bore a champ. I’ve never had one that hasn’t made 2 holes with my rem mag (love it). ELDX is also accurate, but they do blow up a bit at hyper speeds up close.

2five7

WKR
I'd take the SAUM. 140 Berger would be my choice, plenty of rifle for elk out to 600 and beyond provided your shooting is up to the task.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the 300 mag. I'm from CA and when I head east to hunt that is my go to. I shoot the Hornady SST. Great bullet in my opinion. Shoot a few to see what yours likes.

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Damn shoulder just blew and the 338-06 has got to go. Doc said no more big calibers. Looks like surgery in July. I will be posting it later.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to shoot the 6.5 as said above I would want an all copper bullet like the ttsx barnes.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes ttsx bullets bc they dont shed weight hold on to a long shank and original weight to push that frontal area. So in calibers that are considered on the light side for the game we hunt I feel a barnes ttsx makes it act like a bigger caliber. They dont make it anymore but a nosler partition gold I always felt upped the chances for deep penetration and in that case maybe not as big of a frontal area but a good chance for an exit.
If you poke them through the ribs on a broadside shot a 22-250 with a 55 gr soft point would likely get it done in good fashion but elk hunting doesnt always present the perfect broadside shot. So IMO I like to use a bullet that is more than just standard cup n core bonded or not.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Barnes ttsx bullets bc they dont shed weight hold on to a long shank and original weight to push that frontal area. So in calibers that are considered on the light side for the game we hunt I feel a barnes ttsx makes it act like a bigger caliber. They dont make it anymore but a nosler partition gold I always felt upped the chances for deep penetration and in that case maybe not as big of a frontal area but a good chance for an exit.
If you poke them through the ribs on a broadside shot a 22-250 with a 55 gr soft point would likely get it done in good fashion but elk hunting doesnt always present the perfect broadside shot. So IMO I like to use a bullet that is more than just standard cup n core bonded or not.

Yes, they do penetrate more, however they also produce narrow wound channels and all else being equal kill slower. In general people think “calibers” are on the light side due to not actually using them, or using them with bullets that make small wounds and then proclaiming they aren’t as effective as bigger rounds

Elk are big, but not that much thicker than a big mule deer through the chest, and bullets that penetrate deep enough and damage more tissue while doing it change perceptions. At normal ranges a bonded lead bullet (such as a 140gr Accubond) will damage more tissue and have plenty of penetration on the biggest elk. Then if you go the other way, and forget all about what the bullet looks like when it’s done and instead go for maximum tissue damage while achieving adequate penetration (147gr ELD-M, 140gr VLD, etc. they aren’t just adequate- they’re superb.

I bring this up because the common theme when using smaller than usual calibers/cartridges is to suggest the hardest, deepest penetrating bullet made.... which leads to narrow wound channels, slower deaths and the continuation that they are marginal. I’ve seen what 6.5mm Barnes and Berger VLD’s due (opposite ends of the spectrum) to elk, and it’s dramatically different.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I guess we can agree to disagree. in good conditions your bullets will kill quicker but when the angling away shot is to far back the paunch full of grass is a serious bullet stopper and your choices are much less likely to make it to that offside lung and finish the job. Same on an angling shoulder hit. The bullets you like will probably get that job done but I prefer a longer shank with less frontal area and full penetration with an exit. I have killed a few elk with my 7mm-08 and 140 tsx and no bang flop but 20 seconds is quick enough.