Nevada mule deer

JayM

FNG
I have a nevada archery mule deer tag 101-109 looking for advice on where to start looking.
thanks

OP
J

JayM

FNG
A map.
Drew in 2nd draw never been in that area, just want to get out. I’ve been hunting Mule deer for close to 50 years have ability to backpack, horseback, what ever. I was just looking for a little guidance. Ruby wilderness looks like a good start?

Trial153

WKR
Excuse us, we are a tough crowd. We get hit pretty regularly with posts like this. It gets old fast

slvrslngr

WKR
I can’t help you as to where to find deer in those units. But inquiries into those units come up pretty frequently here. I would utilize the search function of this forum to get started. The search function looks like a magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Best of luck on your hunt.

Also, get on the NDOW website, there is a ton of good info there.

Trial153

WKR
Suggest a goggle search, there is pages of stuff to poor though on that unit group. Congrats on that tag, I have lost count the number of times I haven't drawn it.

slvrslngr

WKR
BTW, welcome to the forum JayM! Don’t let the snarky comments put you off, lots of friendly, helpful members here. You might consider going up to the new members subforum (Rokslide FNG’s) and introduce yourself. ;)

Drew in 2nd draw never been in that area, just want to get out. I’ve been hunting Mule deer for close to 50 years have ability to backpack, horseback, what ever. I was just looking for a little guidance. Ruby wilderness looks like a good start?

Im just giving you a hard time. But for a first post you should expect a few jabs. If I had any experience in the area I’d try and offer up something, especially in NV. It’s hard enough to get a tag it’s not like your going every year.

There are a lot of helpful people here. I’ve been on the receiving end of some good advice myself. Good luck.

lif

WKR
I have a nevada archery mule deer tag 101-109 looking for advice on where to start looking.
thanks
This is the best advice I could give to someone in your situation. Use the search bar on this website and search for threads over the last few years about your area. Learn as much as you can from that. Study the map of your unit thoroughly. Learn as much as you can from that. Use the information you gain from those things to devise a game plan of some sort based on your abilities and knowledge. Then come back on here in a couple weeks with more specific questions about your hunt. Or even private message rokslide members that were hunting that unit on previous threads on here. Good luck.

mickeyelk

FNG
These web sites are getting bad with negative feedback. If no comment just say it. I have hunted the Ruby's allot. First of all, what physical shape are you in? The Ruby's are tough. Most of the deer will be in the upper reaches of the mountain. When I first started hunting there I purchased a Forest Service map. It will show you access points to able to get to the mountain and start hiking. ONX is Ok but the forest service map for me was allot easier to follow. Unit 101 and 102 will have the most deer. 101 access points are mostly on the east side unless you can get permission to cross and go in on the west side. Any of the access points on the east side will have deer. Remember, you'll have to hike up to them. Between 101 and 102 is Secret pass. On the 101 side you have access and camping spots to go north from there. On the 102 side you can go straight up the mountain into Soldier Peak. You can also access Soldier Peak from the west side. Soldier peak has deer. Further south you have Harrison Pass. Hunting to the north of that will also have deer. 104-109, unless you know where the deer are don't waste your time looking. 103 is Mitchell area and also has deer. Need any more info just ask.

Vegas03A3

FNG
@mickeyelk Im trying to start learning about NV mulies and appreciate your post. Kinda wouldn’t be disappointed to get a draw that required some hoofing. But I’m sure that’s a whole new can of worms to figure out on its own.

Punk

FNG
These web sites are getting bad with negative feedback. If no comment just say it. I have hunted the Ruby's allot. First of all, what physical shape are you in? The Ruby's are tough. Most of the deer will be in the upper reaches of the mountain. When I first started hunting there I purchased a Forest Service map. It will show you access points to able to get to the mountain and start hiking. ONX is Ok but the forest service map for me was allot easier to follow. Unit 101 and 102 will have the most deer. 101 access points are mostly on the east side unless you can get permission to cross and go in on the west side. Any of the access points on the east side will have deer. Remember, you'll have to hike up to them. Between 101 and 102 is Secret pass. On the 101 side you have access and camping spots to go north from there. On the 102 side you can go straight up the mountain into Soldier Peak. You can also access Soldier Peak from the west side. Soldier peak has deer. Further south you have Harrison Pass. Hunting to the north of that will also have deer. 104-109, unless you know where the deer are don't waste your time looking. 103 is Mitchell area and also has deer. Need any more info just ask.
What is the best access coming over from Charleston to the Rubies. I have tag #101-109. Will be first time in area.

Punk

FNG
What is the best access coming over from our hunt around Charleston Res. to the Rubies. I have tag #101-109, will be first time in area.

Airborne

FNG
This is basic map stuff--head back over to highway 225 then head south to Elko. From there you can swing around on the east side or stay on the west side.

IdahoElk

WKR
Here you go
vy1fvRS.jpg