Nevada needs your help!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 2011, NDOW board of Commissioners voted to not allow Blackhorn 209 powder during muzzleloader season. This decision was based on uneducated facts about the powder. They were told it is a smokeless powder which it is not. It has the same classification as other blackpowder substitutes by the United States and United Nations (UN0499) where a smokeless powder carries a designation of UN0161.

Recently there has been a petition submitted to ndow to legalize Blackhorn 209 powder and now we need your help! Please email your support to the following. I am collecting these emails and submitting them to the NDOW board of Commissioners during the December meeting in Reno, NV.

[email protected]

Follow this link to find out more!
http://blackhorn209.com/nevada/

THANKS ALL!

You have a "canned" letter floating around that can just be signed and submitted? I know it's the lazy route...:D

In 2011, NDOW board of Commissioners voted to not allow Blackhorn 209 powder during muzzleloader season. This decision was based on uneducated facts about the powder. They were told it is a smokeless powder which it is not. It has the same classification as other blackpowder substitutes by the United States and United Nations (UN0499) where a smokeless powder carries a designation of UN0161.

Recently there has been a petition submitted to ndow to legalize Blackhorn 209 powder and now we need your help! Please email your support to the following. I am collecting these emails and submitting them to the NDOW board of Commissioners during the December meeting in Reno, NV.

[email protected]

Follow this link to find out more!
http://blackhorn209.com/nevada/

THANKS ALL!

you do have a problem... BH is a Nitro based powder, it has been tested by many labs to confirm that. Even though it's base is a smokeless powder it is engineered to mimic the characteristics of Black Powder. Potassium has been added as well as other small amounts of other BP formula chemicals. But the fact is that General Dynamics of Canada the manufacturer and the designer of the original powder formula were very careful to make it measure, act and perform exactly like a high quality Black Powder or any Black Powder Substitute to meet the letter of the law. In that they were able to meet the requirements of written law to qualify it in the United States and United Nations (UN0499).

My feelings are; if it qualifies under the written law as a black powder substitute, then the Company has conformed to the written requirements and the powder should be accepted as a black powder substitute. Most States have accepted the product and its classification as legal, some States which do have the power to regulate and create game laws, have chosen to view the powder for it is and not what it was intended for.

Last edited:
OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly mike, that is why I want to change it here in Nevada so we can all have an option to shoot a safer powder. I feel it was a decision made without all of the facts(it happens) but it's time to fix it. Thanks for your input!

Dode

FNG
Can anyone tell me the status of this rule? I'm having a hard time finding anything recent. Thanks.