Nevada PIW mule deer tag

Hello, somebody who is like a father to me practically won the lottery this year and drew a PIW mule deer tag in Nevada and trying to narrow down which units to scout and hunt is getting a little overwhelming. So basically what I’m asking is what units would you consider “trophy” units in Nevada?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd get a subscription to GoHunt, or Epic ,or Huntin Fool if I had that tag. It'll not come around twice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Late rifle seasons in areas 22, 231, 194/196, area 13, 081, and sometimes really good bucks come out of area 7. Keep us updated with the scouting and hunting!

“Trophy Units”

021 (if there is snow), 081 (not a good idea since I have a tag there), 131-134, 194, 196 (if there is snow), 221-223, 231, 241-242.

Probably best to pick a single unit and hunt it as much as possible instead of running from unit to unit chasing “leads”.

Last edited:
In recent history 241-242, 231, and 221-223 have consistently produced the best bucks the last few years. Although the late season dates seem to make it appealing, I would steer clear of the units in NW Nevada as the deer herds up there are struggling bad. The NE corner of the state can be a crap shoot as well and weather dependent.

The PIW tag can be a blessing but also a curse. A guy needs to remember that it is not the Silver State Tag or a Heritage Tag, you're hunting the same time frames as everyone else. I've watch a couple people over the years drive themselves crazy with that tag chasing ghosts all across the state, and ultimately either eat the tag or kill something they were not happy with at the end of the season. If I had the tag I would determine how much time I had to hunt, pick a couple of the best units, and focus on those. The advantage is if you found a buck during the archery and couldn't seal the deal, you'd get a chance to then go after him with a muzzle loader and then a rifle. Just my $.02.

OP
S
@David Gough @Researcher @downsouth175 @sneaky @Calbuck thank you all for the time you took to give some advice. We went down to 231 for 5 days over 4th of July weekend to scout and to be quite honest we didn’t see much. Maybe we weren’t getting deep enough, maybe it’s because we don’t know the area at all, maybe we were just looking at the wrong spots, I don’t know. The only good sized buck we saw was in an alfalfa field and a guide out there basically told us he was spoken for. But that same guide also gave us some great advice on the area and even showed us some places on google earth. Great guy by the name of Ben Johnson. However, I felt we spread ourselves too thin over the unit and that’s what ultimately led to us not seeing much besides a couple of spikes, and some forkies. Seen a 4x on the way out this morning walking across the road, imagine that. But for how far the drive is, all the money spent, and wanting to capitalize on this tag, I think we are going to spend more time in units we know and that are closer to Reno. I will definitely keep this thread updated. Again, thank you all.

@David Gough @Researcher @downsouth175 @sneaky @Calbuck thank you all for the time you took to give some advice. We went down to 231 for 5 days over 4th of July weekend to scout and to be quite honest we didn’t see much. Maybe we weren’t getting deep enough, maybe it’s because we don’t know the area at all, maybe we were just looking at the wrong spots, I don’t know. The only good sized buck we saw was in an alfalfa field and a guide out there basically told us he was spoken for. But that same guide also gave us some great advice on the area and even showed us some places on google earth. Great guy by the name of Ben Johnson. However, I felt we spread ourselves too thin over the unit and that’s what ultimately led to us not seeing much besides a couple of spikes, and some forkies. Seen a 4x on the way out this morning walking across the road, imagine that. But for how far the drive is, all the money spent, and wanting to capitalize on this tag, I think we are going to spend more time in units we know and that are closer to Reno. I will definitely keep this thread updated. Again, thank you all.

No problem. Tough time to scout some of those more desert units with the heat. Hunting what you know gives you a big advantage.

Calbuck

WKR
Sam Robles I hope to see you posting up a really nice buck after season. Living in Reno, you would prob be best served with the late 194-196 hunt..sounds like there can be some smokers taken on that hunt..jealous of your position for sure!

Vegas03A3

FNG
I’m based in Vegas and planning my first season. I love Alamo/Pahranagat country so 241 was on my radar.

How dense with hunters do these known trophy units get? I see some value in putting in for a lesser-sought unit so my buddy and I can focus more on cutting our teeth and not having to worry so much about staying out of the way of the hardcore highly-invested veterans.

I’m based in Vegas and planning my first season. I love Alamo/Pahranagat country so 241 was on my radar.

How dense with hunters do these known trophy units get? I see some value in putting in for a lesser-sought unit so my buddy and I can focus more on cutting our teeth and not having to worry so much about staying out of the way of the hardcore highly-invested veterans.

Being your first season drawing 241 will be like winning the powerball lottery but there’s a chance. Hunting pressure in Nevada is a joke compared to other places, not a lot. You’ll see people in the rubies but it still isnt like other states. If you draw 241 you wont have to worry about other people. I also wouldn’t worry about tip toeing around “highly invested veterans”. Its public land you have a right to be there just like anyone else, be respectful and polite but its public land.

Vegas03A3

FNG
Being your first season drawing 241 will be like winning the powerball lottery but there’s a chance. Hunting pressure in Nevada is a joke compared to other places, not a lot. You’ll see people in the rubies but it still isnt like other states. If you draw 241 you wont have to worry about other people. I also wouldn’t worry about tip toeing around “highly invested veterans”. Its public land you have a right to be there just like anyone else, be respectful and polite but its public land.
Thanks, I appreciate that perspective. Very cool to hear NV isn't as crowded. Funny, I could probably get to AZ or UT units more quickly, but their non-res fees are ridiculous. I'd rather put money into prioritizing gear right now, and stay close and cheap on units.

@SamRobles, it sounds like last season was lots of scouting without a notable harvest? How are you approaching unit selection this year?

Thanks, I appreciate that perspective. Very cool to hear NV isn't as crowded. Funny, I could probably get to AZ or UT units more quickly, but their non-res fees are ridiculous. I'd rather put money into prioritizing gear right now, and stay close and cheap on units.

@SamRobles, it sounds like last season was lots of scouting without a notable harvest? How are you approaching unit selection this year?

Utah has the cheapest non resident fees in the West that I’m aware of unless that changed. When I lived in WA I could hunt cheaper in Utah than in WA with a multi season tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they’ve gone up but $460 for a non resident tag and license that includes a year long fishing license isn’t bad.

Utah has the cheapest non resident fees in the West that I’m aware of unless that changed. When I lived in WA I could hunt cheaper in Utah than in WA with a multi season tag.

Cheapest fees in the west for units you can't even draw in a lifetime. There's a reason for that, has something to do with the continued Expo taking tags from the NR pool and giving them to the highest bidder.

Cheapest fees in the west for units you can't even draw in a lifetime. There's a reason for that, has something to do with the continued Expo taking tags from the NR pool and giving them to the highest bidder.

The tags I apply for all all very achievable. I draw my deer tag every 3 years and I’m only a couple points away from 100% draw odds for my elk tag. I can’t complain. Even the easiest to draw elk tags produce 350 bulls with a little work.