Nevada results...

Rangerz

FNG
Finally drew a muzzleloader Bull Elk tag. Hunting partner drew an antelope tag and a Desert sheep tag.

Going to be a busy season!

Congrats to all who drew.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
If you applied for the spike tag this season, you became ineligible for the bull tag this season. You can only draw one antlered elk tag in a season (either a spike or a bull).

If that's not what happened, I don't know.

Elk Application Eligibility
An eligible person MAY APPLY ONCE for ONE type of hunt category of antlered elk or antlered elk depredation in a draw application period; AND
An eligible person MAY APPLY ONCE for ONE type of hunt category of spike elk in a draw application period; AND
An eligible person MAY APPLY ONCE for each type of hunt category of antlerless elk, antlerless elk management and antlerless elk depredation in a draw application period.
Except as otherwise provided in regulation a person MAY OBTAIN one antlered elk tag OR one spike elk tag AND one antlerless elk tag during a hunting season

That must be it, thanks. It's pretty stupid that their system draws spike tags first which then makes you ineligible for the bull tags. Oh well, lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BagNTagM

FNG
161-164/171-173 Mid, first bull tag for Nevada. Its going to be a long Summer, I'm ready for Hunting Season.

Mark

WKR
That must be it, thanks. It's pretty stupid that their system draws spike tags first which then makes you ineligible for the bull tags. Oh well, lesson learned.

To be honest, a person is better off just putting in for branch antlered bulls. They're a lot easier to find than a spike. At least that's the case where I hunt elk. On an archery deer hunt last year we saw dozens of bulls in velvet. We also saw over 200 cows in one drainage (three separate herds). We saw two spikes hanging out with the cows.

On our cow hunt last season, we saw dozens of big bulls every day. We saw zero spikes. The only way I would put in for a spike is if I was on the waiting list for bulls, and I was hunting deer or cow elk and the spike season ran at the same time in case I stumbled upon one.

I'm not saying you can't find a spike, I'm saying that where I hunt elk they're not easy to find.

Good luck on filling those three tags. That's a big pile of meat if you fill all three. Typically mule deer and cow bow hunts are open at the same time. That helps your odds a bit.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest, a person is better off just putting in for branch antlered bulls. They're a lot easier to find than a spike. At least that's the case where I hunt elk. On an archery deer hunt last year we saw dozens of bulls in velvet. We also saw over 200 cows in one drainage (three separate herds). We saw two spikes hanging out with the cows.

On our cow hunt last season, we saw dozens of big bulls every day. We saw zero spikes. The only way I would put in for a spike is if I was on the waiting list for bulls, and I was hunting deer or cow elk and the spike season ran at the same time in case I stumbled upon one.

I'm not saying you can't find a spike, I'm saying that where I hunt elk they're not easy to find.

Good luck on filling those three tags. That's a big pile of meat if you fill all three. Typically mule deer and cow bow hunts are open at the same time. That helps your odds a bit.

Thanks Mark, good luck this season to you too! I put in for spike as a backup plan incase I didn't draw a bull tag. Apparently they draw spike first... Hopefully my mistake will help prevent others in making the same one.

Gr8bawana

WKR
If you applied for the spike tag this season, you became ineligible for the bull tag this season. You can only draw one antlered elk tag in a season (either a spike or a bull).

If that's not what happened, I don't know.

Elk Application Eligibility
An eligible person MAY APPLY ONCE for ONE type of hunt category of antlered elk or antlered elk depredation in a draw application period; AND
[B]An eligible person MAY APPLY ONCE for ONE type of hunt category of spike elk in a draw application period;[/B] AND
An eligible person MAY APPLY ONCE for each type of hunt category of antlerless elk, antlerless elk management and antlerless elk depredation in a draw application period.
Except as otherwise provided in regulation a person MAY OBTAIN one antlered elk tag OR one spike elk tag AND one antlerless elk tag during a hunting season

The application system wil not let you apply for both spike and bull tags online. You simply applied for the spike tag first if you submitted a paper application.
A careful reading of the application instructions are always a good idea.

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I drew a non-resident 111 early rifle elk. Looks like a great unit based on the draw odds and success rates. Anyone know much about it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GeoHunter

FNG
This is the first year where you were allowed to apply for both a spike and a bull the same year. The online system allowed me to do both, so if it didn't for you as well, there was some sort of error.

They didn't necessarily draw spike first. Nevada's system is totally random which gets drawn first. Every application goes into the same pool, then assigned a random number/numbers based on bonus points, then lowest number goes first. It doesn't matter what species/sex. I talked to the draw people before I put in to make sure I understood how it all works. It's a bit confusing, but that's the gist of it.

I didn't want to draw the spike first and then be ineligible for a bull if a happened to have a good draw number, so I did bonus point only for the spike.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Ty, I applied online and yes it let me do spike after I applied for bull.

Geo, thanks for explaining that. I thought each draw had its own separate lottery.