Nevada Unit 101-109

Capt Jims

FNG
Drew Unit 101, Archery Antlered Mule Deer.
Thinking about actually hunting unit 103 and leaving up to that unit on Sunday 8/6 by myself and Hunting till the following Sunday if not tagged out sooner., anyone else draw up their they may want to set up a base camp area or team up.
Jim

Gr8bawana

WKR
Sent you a PM.
103 can be brutal during archery season, make sure you take plenty of water.

DSCN1039.jpgDSCN1040.jpg

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
Therefore Less Hunters in the area. That is my thought on 103. Though Hunt.......yes most definitely. The gentleman above suggested 102, so Ill look at that unit as well. I'm not doing the road springs deal this year.

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
My thoughts too. 102 has so much more water and so many more deer and more space and ......

Just looked at the GoHunt website, it shows 102 at 47% private with limited access upper elevations by road. Looking on Google Earth, you are 100% correct about water. I guess if you cant find the deer, you could always fish all the lakes around Liberty Peak. Road access to those areas is very limited so I like that. Ill have to make another scouting weekend to look at it. We still have a few weeks before deciding. Thank you again for the suggestion. We Hunted 108 3 years ago, while their were a few Bucks their, their were a few really nice Cats walking around. I have a Cat Tag this year, I did not then.

Pueblo

FNG
102 is definitely hike in or pack in country. Not much for folks who hunt from trucks from the bottom. Once you're up there it's vast. Plenty of guys make trip in.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Just looked at the GoHunt website, it shows 102 at 47% private with limited access upper elevations by road. Looking on Google Earth, you are 100% correct about water. I guess if you cant find the deer, you could always fish all the lakes around Liberty Peak. Road access to those areas is very limited so I like that. Ill have to make another scouting weekend to look at it. We still have a few weeks before deciding. Thank you again for the suggestion. We Hunted 108 3 years ago, while their were a few Bucks their, their were a few really nice Cats walking around. I have a Cat Tag this year, I did not then.

When you get to the end of the road in Lamoile Canyon accessing the Liberty Lake area and Farve Lake area you will find trucks and horse trailers of various outfitters parked there. That trailhead is also the starting point for the hundreds of hikers that use the trail going to the Liberty Lake are, too many people for my liking.
As far as private land the west side of 102 is pretty well locked up for accessing the Nat. Forest land behind the private property.
There are a few Nat. Forest access roads from the main Ruby Valley road on the west side of the range and most hunters don't get very far from the end of those roads.
There is one road that takes you to a trail going up to Overland Lake which puts you very close to King Peak at 11,000'+ and only the most diehard hunters go there. I must warn you it is incredibly steep but you will have the mountain to yourself.

Pueblo

FNG
I guess I disagree about a couple of finer points in Gr8bawan's reply. I've done the Lamoille hike/hunt once and the Overland twice. The Lamoille/Liberty pass does get some traffic, but the non-hunting crowd stops at Liberty Lake, with just hunters and a few through hikers going beyond. The biggest crowds stop even sooner at Dollar Lakes. I did share the mountain with other hunters and at times it was irritating. Lots of deer though.

I would not call the Overland "incredibly steep". I've hiked miles past Overland, set up camp at the 9000+ ft level, then hiked over the top for a look see to the west side in the same afternoon. It is steep and hard and the altitude and sun can beat you down,but there are plenty of hunters there. In both trips I saw hunters every day a few times; not as many as Liberty so never irritating. For either trip you have to be in really good shape and be willing to go from dusk to dawn. The glassing distances are long and the stalks are long and steep; yes at times incredibly steep; I was stalking some bucks and found a ski pole from one of the Heli-Skiers that come there in the winter. That kind of steep, but the trails aren't like that. A number of Roksliders have done this hunt and I think their posts are searchable. A pack in and pack out with horse would be ideal.

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
Thank You for that. Im in Albuquerque NM all this week for work. I looked up Archery Shops near me. Hit and Miss Archery was like .75 miles away so I just had to go see. What a GREAT SHOP. Range out to 40 yards, 3D targets of every type. Complete Pro Shop, for all 3 of the major players. Really nice folks running the place and unlike alot of shops, tons of stuff to buy without the dreaded "oh I need to order that". All that said, Im going to Scout 103 and 102 in a couple off weeks and decide from their. I really appreciate all of your input. I wish you all great success this season. Again, Thank You

How did your hunt turn out?! My in-laws and myself are longtime hunters of the Rubies! Embrace the suck up at 9000-10500 feet where we hunt, seen some GREAT bucks in that country. People always talk back about area 10 but I have seen some great 170-190" deer, few and far between though!

Afternoon, I drew archery unit 10 this season (2020) spent Memorial weekend up in Lamiolle canyon. the area looks great. Are you guys archery or rifle hunting?

Evening all, still trying to revive the thread... We drew this unit again. So the work we put in last season won't go to waste .
Who's running archery season in this unit this season? I don't think we are staying at the BLM camp this season.
Who all has just camped out on BLM land? Coming from Illinois and a new resident to the west, that seems so foreign to me. Just drop camp where ever.
Greg