Nevada, ya baby! Read it and weep

velvetfvr

WKR
One of the biologists I think he was (not sure on the name) said we can't stockpile the deer. If we have too many deer and a bad winter and halfway through all the deer eat almost all the food more than likely all those deer will die. We need a stable population so that when we have a bad winter there will be enough food for all those deer to survive and not have all of them die off. That same rule goes to all the game animals. We just can't stockpile any animal because one winter you can loose them all or a whole bunch.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
They met Friday May 12, and from what I've heard (not confirmed,), the deer quotas were accepted, except in Lincoln, Humboldt, and Eureka counties. So looks like licenses going up for most of the state???

Stay tuned, we should know more later today on actual numbers.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
After watching the NDOW site all day, I finally called to see if they had exact license numbers approved by the commission... Thursday 5/17...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
the Dr has delivered

Thanks man!

It looks like many of the units increased substantailly (I checked about 5 units) mostly archery, muzz, early rifle. To me, that is a good way to do it: get more hunters in the field (think license dollars), shoot a few more bucks (can't put them in the bank), but not hammer them with the late rifle hunts.

I hope they are keeping my money this year.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks man, I might finally draw my elk tag this year! They only allotted one more tag but still my odds just got better.

bowuntr

WKR
Looks like I'll be huntin the Nevada high country come this August... Can't wait. Ed F

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 19

PhillyB

WKR
Looks like I'll be huntin the Nevada high country come this August... Can't wait. Ed F

Yeah along with 918 other folks. It still seems crazy to me to increase the tags in area 10 by 500 tags. Healthy herd or not, those hills will be crawling with folks. I will make a bet that all hunting forums get littered with posts like 'got a Rubies tag... where are the deer or where is a good spot to start"

It kinda makes me sick to think about it

PhillyB

WKR
Those are the approved quotas. That is what they are selling those year

Hey Doc... Do you know what the plan is for the leftover tags? I am confident that there will be tags leftover for unit 10. There always has been even before the increase.

I am just curious if they are opening it up for the second draw as in years past in which residents and non residents both have the same chance at tags. Meaning that all the tags will most likely be gone

bowuntr

WKR
I am kinda disappointed with the increase also, because I had a good chance to draw without it. I doubt ill see another hunter where i'm going so i'm not too worried about it. I do understand the concern though. Most guys draw an area 10 tag for the first time and experience how difficult it is, don't go back. And yes, the leftover resident tags are available to non residents in the second draw. Ed F

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Doc... Do you know what the plan is for the leftover tags? I am confident that there will be tags leftover for unit 10. There always has been even before the increase.

I am just curious if they are opening it up for the second draw as in years past in which residents and non residents both have the same chance at tags. Meaning that all the tags will most likely be gone

Its a free for all and I believe they open it in the end of June, not sure though I have never put in for it.

PhillyB

WKR
I haven't either. I am just curious. That means all 900+ tags will be sold and lots of people in the hills.

I hope Bowuntr is right and most people pass on the tags. At least I hope they stay in the foothills and out of the back country and high elevations

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't either. I am just curious. That means all 900+ tags will be sold and lots of people in the hills.

I hope Bowuntr is right and most people pass on the tags. At least I hope they stay in the foothills and out of the back country and high elevations

They probably will stay low. I wouldnt worry about that. Noone goes up high unless they are members of rokslide :)