Never sighted in a gun before

WKR
Yep, Form's post regarding scope mounting is going to be miles ahead of any advice you would get from a gun shop. Just my life's experience on that one. Nice rifle, you should get years of wonderful use from it.

Picked up this used Weatherby Vanguard .270 Win. from a LGS a couple weeks ago. Mounted a Leupold 3x10x40 on Leupold bases & rings. I use a 1" wooden dowel to align the rings. Install the scope and slowly tighten the ring halves alternating each screw. Before I completely tighten the screws I mount rifle to my shoulder several times finding a comfortable eye relief on the scope. Finally, looking through the scope with rifle mounted to my shoulder, I rotate the scope so the vertical reticle perfectly lines up with a plumb object like a door frame or outside house corner.
I only have about 50 yds of backyard space for my shooting range. I pulled the bolt and bore sighted the rifle to the target center. First shot was 2" right and 1" low. I tweaked it a few more shots getting it close to center. Next I'll take it to a public 100 yd. range and a final zero. On a .270 Win I like about 2" high @ 100yds.thumbnail_IMG_3822.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3823.jpgthumbnail_IMG_3829.jpg

Last edited: