New 2021 Kifaru Xpac Bags?

Wondering the same thing. I'm hoping someone can get one in their hand and verify the listed weights on their website.

If I'm understanding this correctly the Gnargali weighs 2lbs 12.48 oz.

View attachment 306796

The Muskeg 5000 weighs 2lbs 8.8 oz.

View attachment 306799

I understand the Gnargali has ~600ci more but it weighs more than the Muskeg and the Muskeg has a zipper lengthwise. I have grown very attached to the zipper on my hoodlum because it make it easy to quickly retrieve things that have migrated to the bottom of the pack.

I am looking for a lighter pack to replace my wife's 44 Mag which also serves as a backup pack for myself. It looks like I'm splitting hairs at this point between the packs. Looking forward to more feedback from the new pack owners before I make a decision.

Edit: I also just realized/remembered the Gnargali eliminates the need to use a gun bearer. That would make the Muskeg 5000 + gun bearer weigh the exact same as the gnargali. So it pretty much boils down to the preference of having a zipper on the Muskeg or having 600ci more space on the Gnargali.
Yeah to be honest the zipper is one of the reasons I haven't pulled trigger yet. I like simple and going Spartan but I do use the main bag zipper frequently, especially in day mode when all my small items are at the bottom. Although the weight still doesn't make sense to me when I compare it to other similar packs the weight isn't the reason for me not getting it.

Anozira

WKR
Yeah to be honest the zipper is one of the reasons I haven't pulled trigger yet. I like simple and going Spartan but I do use the main bag zipper frequently, especially in day mode when all my small items are at the bottom. Although the weight still doesn't make sense to me when I compare it to other similar packs the weight isn't the reason for me not getting it.

When I started to get nice gear and packs I didn't care much about weight. Then as I started to backpack hunt I realized how much useless weight I was lugging into the backcountry. My hunting buddy is a seasoned hunter and full-blown ounce counter. He's the type that cuts extra straps off his pack and doesn't bring the stuff sacks for his sleeping bag or tent. He has a saying I have found myself thinking about more and more as I get older and my body is starting to protest.

"Grams make ounces, ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain..."

Anywho, sorry for the thread derailment.... Looking forward to more Dall and Gnargali glamor shots!

OP
thegoosano
Wondering the same thing. I'm hoping someone can get one in their hand and verify the listed weights on their website.

If I'm understanding this correctly the Gnargali weighs 2lbs 12.48 oz.

View attachment 306796

The Muskeg 5000 weighs 2lbs 8.8 oz.

View attachment 306799

I understand the Gnargali has ~600ci more but it weighs more than the Muskeg and the Muskeg has a zipper lengthwise. I have grown very attached to the zipper on my hoodlum because it make it easy to quickly retrieve things that have migrated to the bottom of the pack.

I am looking for a lighter pack to replace my wife's 44 Mag which also serves as a backup pack for myself. It looks like I'm splitting hairs at this point between the packs. Looking forward to more feedback from the new pack owners before I make a decision.

Edit: I also just realized/remembered the Gnargali eliminates the need to use a gun bearer. That would make the Muskeg 5000 + gun bearer weigh the exact same as the gnargali. So it pretty much boils down to the preference of having a zipper on the Muskeg or having 600ci more space on the Gnargali.

Ya the specs seemed weird to me too since the main purpose of the bag was to be as light as possible. However, the side pockets will add some weight over the muskeg, but I use those so much I don’t mind an extra ounce or two there.

With a medium and large belt pouch added on the face I think I’ll have enough room for my day to day stuff without needing a main zip. I’ll definitely be finding out soon if it bugs me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thegoosano
Man…the wait is finally over. Got my gnargali and large & medium xpac belt pouches and first impressions are good. Very impressed with the feel of it, the craftsmanship is what you would expect from kifaru.

003464cc5b1bdb12d22f86ab52957a65.jpg

The interior size is impressive, significantly larger than my old 44mag. I’ll have no problem putting a whole bone in elk quarter in here if I needed to.

The weight of the bag alone with all included accessories including chamber pocket came out to 41.1oz, about 3.5oz less than advertised. Good news there. The weight without the chamber pocket was 39.6oz for those who don’t run the interior pocket.

58c0fe09ed9750a48bc48e5408e3f00c.jpg

The weight of the bag + frame (duplex lite, long shoulder straps, medium belt) came out to 6.45lbs. This is with all compression straps, over the top strap, and bottom compression straps. No chamber pocket thought. This is about 9oz lighter than my 44mag on the same frame.

f92b02c66e441f60b02d1a05207d94eb.jpg

The one odd thing is the straps on the face of the pack run behind the belt pouches. Which seems like it might be a pain in the ass but maybe not a big deal when I actually start using them.

Also, the buckles are barely snapping closed on all the auto-lock buckles. I’m trying to remember if I had to break in the ones on my 44mag, I’m kinda remembering something like that…

Overall I’m super impressed besides my last two small gripes. I think I’m gonna love this thing, can’t wait to get it out. Probably will take it for a maiden voyage in two weeks to check trail cameras.

cbcf078f2c588774d8bebb20fcd98c38.jpg

0542fc4c5e671eda4f9441340dfebcb6.jpg

8a437cc2121400e2081b43957b585693.jpg

OP
thegoosano
Ya you can definitely cross the top straps over and buckle them in front of the bag, my 44mag had the same feature and it’s awesome for securing antlers or a bow!

OP
thegoosano
Little update, one thing I’m noticing with the bag on training hikes with a sand bag is that the side bottle pockets are easily reachable when the bag is collapsed. So that’s a pretty awesome feature that I haven’t heard anyone talk about.

We’ll see though about when the bag is full…

Just placed my order. If I like it, I'll be putting up for sale my brand new stone glacier pack.
Arrived yesterday. only had 50lbs in it but so far it feels like a dream and feels like it was made for me. The curved stays for me was the difference from last time (semi curve). Need some more time with it, but I think I will post my brand new Stone Glacier sky archer 6400 on classified tonight.

OP
thegoosano
Yep, been feeling the same way. I’m really loving the bag so far. Took it in a really long trip to check trail cams and was 100% happy with it. I could easily reach my water bottles all day from the side pockets without taking the pack off, and I never felt like I missed a main bag zip access. Just an all around solid bag.

I have a 22mag, reckoning and now the gnargali and in packing it up prepping for the season i'm surprised with the amount of space. I opted for the guide lid and 2 large pockets and it's great. Will hold all my quick grab stuff on the outside and camp stuff on the inside. Also digging the small pouch for a bladder. I am setting up my bladder with an external quick disconnect fitting to fit a dirty bag + filter to squeeze clean water and refill the bladder without having to open anything up. Am excited to see how it all handles. I am bummed though I wanted to talk to them about getting the curved stays since I have a lot of curveature on my back but forgot all about it when I was there I was just stoked on picking up what I needed. Will call in the a.m. and see if they have any in stock

OP
thegoosano
e22ff552f12aa04927210cb4266d75ce.jpg

Got to spend 5 days with this bad boy on a mountain mule deer hunt this past week. It performed exactly as I wanted it to. Straightforward, and streamlined. I ended up using the bow cam sleeve at the bottom quite a bit when going on longer hikes, and I also found it’s a great spot to slip your butt pad into as well.

I did notice the xpac leaking under heavy rain. I got a big storm one day and had a long hike back to my tent and most of the items inside the external pouches were damp. Not soaked but not totally dry as I thought they would be. Just something to note, if you’re in heavy heavy rain a lot better consider a dedicated rain cover.

Questions about X-Pac material / bags fellas:

Highly water resistant, borderline waterproof especially if you seam seal.

Lighter weight than 500D, especially when wet.

Negatives:

Not as tough?

Louder?

Am I correct, or no?
Anything else?

ohoopee

WKR
I just don't get all of the cordura material on the Gnarli. Kifaru doesn't have
a medium "water proof" xpac bag any longer?.

Last edited:

Kscrawfo

FNG
I just don't get all of the cordura material on the Gnarli. Kifaru doesn't have
a medium "water proof" xpac bag any longer?.
Had my shape charge out on a 8 hour hike in pretty pouring rain all day yesterday...and the inside was *mostly* dry. Feel like Kif is missing out with limited real waterproof options.