New 2021 Kifaru Xpac Bags?

gelton

WKR
Questions about X-Pac material / bags fellas:

Highly water resistant, borderline waterproof especially if you seam seal.

Lighter weight than 500D, especially when wet.

Negatives:

Not as tough?

Louder?

Am I correct, or no?
Anything else?
Definitely as tough if not tougher, but louder if only slightly.

Muskeg series.

They are not water proof nor has Kifaru ever claimed that they would be. They are slightly more water resistant than the cordura options.

Looks like the xpac belt pouches are described as waterproof on their website. Bummer if they're not.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Got the gnargali out for a trip on the weekend and it worked perfect for a replacement to the old highcamp ive been using. The side pockets are just right and that little slot sleeve is extremely useful and came in handy all the time. I ran it with 2 medium belt pouches and the sherman after playing around with a bunch of different lid and pocket options at home.

I found with my old highcamp I almost never used the front zipper access anyways so I already knew I wouldnt miss having one on the gnargali.

C0E1D64D-BBF3-41F0-AC5D-963EA9EDCA0D.jpeg

Also if anybody wants to see the gnargali setup with some specific lid or pocket configurations let me know

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
74ab1be041a2fda0721b2393197c7706.jpg

Here’s a photo of how I ran mine. Guide lid in xpac. Because it was xpac material I forgo’d the rain fly and just made sure everything inside was in dry bags. I really liked that system and my guide did the same. The lid did great and while it got wet as hell everything inside stayed dry. The bag did pretty well given the circumstances, I knew they were not waterproof going into it but highly resistant. The leakage ended up coming from the bottom, because of setting it on the ground upright like the photo. My dry bag with my sleep system would have beads of water on the underside of it when I’d pull it out. Which is why I put everything in dry bags, so that portion worked perfectly. I didn’t seem seam seal the bag, I know guys have done that, it certainly may have helped. All in all the bag did great, I do plan on whipping a video out of how I ran it. When we could hunt we’d pack camp up and move with it so the top load didn’t bother me, but if you are used to quicker access into the bag it could be annoying. I’d run it with pockets and a lid with gear then clothing inside the bag if I was using it for fat hunting from camp. But any questions just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
One other thing I'll mention: after using it for a week of elk hunting I'll say that the side pockets work really well for holding a bugle tube. Specifically I have the large phelps tube, I can reach behind me and shove the fat end of the tube in the pocket and it stays in there pretty dang good....it fell out one time when I was pushing through some thick nasty stuff. And when I needed to grab it it was within very easy reach.

I don't like using a bugle tube holder/water bottle pouch (usually just tuck the tube between my shoulder strap and body) so this was a pleasant surprise.

OP
thegoosano
74ab1be041a2fda0721b2393197c7706.jpg

Here’s a photo of how I ran mine. Guide lid in xpac. Because it was xpac material I forgo’d the rain fly and just made sure everything inside was in dry bags. I really liked that system and my guide did the same. The lid did great and while it got wet as hell everything inside stayed dry. The bag did pretty well given the circumstances, I knew they were not waterproof going into it but highly resistant. The leakage ended up coming from the bottom, because of setting it on the ground upright like the photo. My dry bag with my sleep system would have beads of water on the underside of it when I’d pull it out. Which is why I put everything in dry bags, so that portion worked perfectly. I didn’t seem seam seal the bag, I know guys have done that, it certainly may have helped. All in all the bag did great, I do plan on whipping a video out of how I ran it. When we could hunt we’d pack camp up and move with it so the top load didn’t bother me, but if you are used to quicker access into the bag it could be annoying. I’d run it with pockets and a lid with gear then clothing inside the bag if I was using it for fat hunting from camp. But any questions just let me know.

Thanks for the rundown Jordan, sounded like you had an amazing trip! Congrats on the ram, really cool ending to a hard af hunt.

jt4

WKR
Placed an order for the Gnargali on the 9th and it came in today. 7 days from ordered to my door. That's awesome.

First impressions are that it's got a huge amount of space inside, enough that it made me question if they sent me the bigger dall bag instead. I'm not sure how it'll work out with the straps running across the front once you put a belt pouch over top of it. Seems like it'll be a little hassle to cinch those down or find them again if you unclip it.

Looking forward to loading it up soon.

Ten Bears

WKR
Afternoon guys, just wanted to hop in here and clear some stuff up. The Gnargali and Dall do not have Xpac behind the front panel but the bottom is 500d lined with Xpac. The purpose of these bags was to shave as much weight as possible while maintaining some higher performance with materials. A lot of our customers are going to have belt pouches on that back panel which will keep moisture from making its way through. While Xpac is very water resistant, I stab a bunch of holes in it to get everything together so take the "waterproofness" for what it's worth. Xpac on the sides was to help keep out some of the moisture while moving through brush. The back panel is made from 500d to hold up to the bartacks for the pockets, weapon straps and bottom bucket, as well as abrasion from leaning your pack against stuff. A lot of people didn't like the sleeve pocket on the Muskegs so I left it out on these and focused on weight savings instead. The VX21S fabric has a 210d face fabric with a thin fabric backer that can take some surface sewing but it can de-laminate very easily once the layers have been punctured and moisture gets in there. I try and keep the surface sewing to a minimum on Xpac if I have to sew through it, and I back it with webbing or another layer of fabric on the other side.

Mike, Aron is gonna be giving you a call here in a second. Let me know if you guys have any more questions on our gear.

Bender-

Just checking in to see if you guys have anything new coming out this year ? Got the itch to try the Gnargali but before I pull the trigger wanted to make sure something else in X-pac/Lightweight may be on the horizon....

Thanks....