New .223 rifle

Jimbob

WKR
I am interested in purchasing a nice .223 rifle for range use, introducing new shooters, and wife/kids gun at range. I don't really see us hunting with it. I like the look of the Ruger American ranch. Is there a better option out there then the Ruger? What do you recommend?

EastMT

WKR
I've been considering the Ruger also. Everyone I've talked to says they are tack drivers. Best bang for the buck is what I hear. Any gun that cheap of a price just scares me.

mcseal2

WKR
The Ruger Americans are darn good rifles for the money, I had a 270 that was a tackdriver. A buddy borrowed it and after shooting it wanted it really bad, bad enough I sold it to him. I had one in 223 also and it had feeding issues. The magazine did not work well with 223. Never had that issue in the ones I shot in 243 or 270. I don't know if they fixed that issue or not, I read several other people have the same issue.

I just bought one of those cva wolf single shot 223s for a truck gun. It was like $200 new. Having a single shot with new shooters is nice and they are indestructible.

16Bore

WKR
Ruger + SWFA = Good
Tikka + SWFA = Better

If you're thinking about shooting longer targets, definitely make sure it's 1:8 and 75gr loads will take care of it.

223's are the most fun you can have with your pants on.

EastMT

WKR
Ruger + SWFA = Good
Tikka + SWFA = Better

If you're thinking about shooting longer targets, definitely make sure it's 1:8 and 75gr loads will take care of it.

223's are the most fun you can have with your pants on.

I agree. I lost count of all the calibers I had a few years ago. Every time I walked out I carried the 223 not the 22-250 not the swift. I picked up the 308 not the magnums. So I decided to sell 80% of the ones I didn't use.

That said, I have been wanting a true 556/223 in bolt gun so I can shoot my AR-15 loads as I don't really like shooting semi auto at all. So I keep eyeballing the Ruger ranch in 556 and 300 BO, or both. So many decisions.

16Bore

WKR
I agree. I lost count of all the calibers I had a few years ago. Every time I walked out I carried the 223 not the 22-250 not the swift. I picked up the 308 not the magnums. So I decided to sell 80% of the ones I didn't use.

That said, I have been wanting a true 556/223 in bolt gun so I can shoot my AR-15 loads as I don't really like shooting semi auto at all. So I keep eyeballing the Ruger ranch in 556 and 300 BO, or both. So many decisions.

I'm on the same road. Sold every centerfire I had except my 223 and 270 (7mm currently in the classifieds). Reloading crap, out the door.

Keeping it simple and minimal...

The Ruger American is a nice little rifle for breaking in new shooters or letting your wife shoot like you have planned. They are cheap and shoot great. I bought one for my nephew in 223 to get him into shooting. That gun is just a shit load of fun to shoot! I thought about buying another one in tikka superlite for myself but I'll just use the Ruger.

JWP58

WKR
Ruger American would be hard to beat. But the Howa mini action is pretty sweet. Trigger is nice too.

Brado16

WKR
20f9s38.jpg

Tikka 223 Varmint gets my vote. I also have a Ruger American in 243 and the overall quality and feel of the Tikka I prefer. I also prefer the trigger on the Tikka to my Ruger. You cant go wrong with either though- both have fast twist barrels that will allow you to shoot inexpensive 55fmj to 80grains bullets.