New 260 build help

Hello all, need some advice on a new 260 build. I have a 12fv that I am going to rebarrell for 260 with a criterion light varmint contour or heavy shorter. This will be for the wife and boy to shoot. I am thinking of getting an accustock and converting it to that. Besides new recoil lug and bottom metal do I need anything else? I have heard that my stock barrel nut won’t work but I have been told it will as well? Which contour would you guys recommend for keeping weight down but maintaining accuracy. I am thinking 24 inch with a 1:8.5 twist shooting 140 or 145 pills. Thanks ahead of time

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
A heavy sporter usually is around .670 at the muzzle, it is heavy enough to maintain accuracy but its still not to heavy to lug around. You could also get it fluted to shave little bit of weight. Another option is a Proof carbon fiber sendero light.

OP
Justin.Medcalf
Ya i would love the carbon but its not in the budget, average shots would be 600 and under for the wife and not over 200 for the boy. Plus i wanna keep it light enough to take to MT next year for unlimited unit sheep hunt.

My wife shoots a 260 Remington with 140 accubond. #3 Lilja barrel, its a 1/2 MOA gun. I think its important to talk to your gunsmith about chambering on a light barrel, a little tighter neck than SAMMI spec will help. Looking for neck clearance of 3 to 4 thousands is my suggestion. And freebore of 0.040 to 0.060 so rounds will fit the magazine. Again talk to your gunsmith.

OP
Justin.Medcalf
My wife shoots a 260 Remington with 140 accubond. #3 Lilja barrel, its a 1/2 MOA gun. I think its important to talk to your gunsmith about chambering on a light barrel, a little tighter neck than SAMMI spec will help. Looking for neck clearance of 3 to 4 thousands is my suggestion. And freebore of 0.040 to 0.060 so rounds will fit the magazine. Again talk to your gunsmith.
Idaho shooter i was planning on just getting a criterion 260 rem match direct fit with go-no go gauges. Is that a bad idea accuracy wise?

Idaho shooter i was planning on just getting a criterion 260 rem match direct fit with go-no go gauges. Is that a bad idea accuracy wise?
Accuracy should be fine. I have two 260 Rem chambered rifles, one comp and one hunting. Utilize 140's in both, the 260 has an overall length that can cause issues with magazine length. And generally you want a bullet jump to lands of say 0.020. From experience its really important for accuracy to know your chamber dimensions with the 260 Remington. Maybe ask Criterion for a chamber print before purchase. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.

260madman

WKR
I have a Criterion pre-fit on my Savage in 260Rem. 1:8 twist. It’s not lacking in the accuracy department. When I get my reloading notes upstairs I can give you some dimensions with 140 Amax and 140 HPBT. You could skip me though and give James a call at NSS. He will be the one you’ll get it from. I think he’s the exclusive retailer for them.

260madman

WKR
260madman I will take any advice I can get, I am going through James as well.

Sorry I can’t be of any help on data for my Criterion barrel. I seem to have lost it. If I’m not mistaken the throat on the match chamber is .160 and will feed from a 2.95” Savage mag box.

I haven’t put any 140s through mine in a few years. Been playing with 100gr NBTs at almost 3500fps from a 28” barrel. Load work up looking for pressure. I stuck with this one and dumped a doe at 540 yards. It’s fun to play with toys.

5 shots
5ED990B5-9809-402A-9BDC-5DBEFB332C22.jpeg

Called flyer on the right 🤪

MTSLW

FNG
I've tried several Criterion's and they've all shot really well. I'd definitely go with an 8 twist. Contour is more about volume than accuracy. If you don't plan to shoot more than 4-5 shot at a time the lighter contours are generally just as accurate. They do heat up faster and some barrels will start to walk a bit over longer strings of fire. I wouldn't go shorter than 22", if it's mostly a hunting rifle, go lighter profile with a 24". You can get more velocity with a lighter powder charge, i.e. less recoil;)