New 280 AI build with Alamo Precision Rifles

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
I love my 280AI (not a custom) with 1:9 twist. It sends 143 Hammers at 3168 and that's not the fastest load just most accurate.

I think you're going to be very happy once it arrives. Thoughts on optics?
Nice!

Right now I'm looking at the Nightforce NX8 and ATAC-R, leaning toward NX8 only because I want a 50mm objective and I'd like to have a little more zoom range than 16x. On my 6.5CM I have a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 and love it but would like more zoom for this rifle.

WRO

WKR
Nothing wrong with not being in to the cartridge.

I’ve never been high on big bores, I think 7mm bullets are superior to .308, but that’s just my opinion.

There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to bullets for elk.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
There is no replacement for displacement when it comes to bullets for elk.

Ehh to each their own.

I've always loved this quote from P.O. Ackley about Elmer Keith and his love of big bores.

“I don’t think Elmer Keith would be caught dead hunting with anything smaller than a .300 Magnum. And he used to tell me that was about minimum for deer. For other stuff he starts up from there. Of course, if you figured things proportionately, guns for moose or bear; the gun would probably be at least 37mm,”

There are way too many ways to skin this cat, I just hope we all end up successful with our chosen instrument.

In researching every big game caliber on the planet, I think the perfect North American caliber is .280 Ackley. Tons of bullet options, moderate recoil, non-magnum but still great velocities, efficient round, and the best part... odd enough caliber that gun ppl love it but not too “hipstery” to be the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Enjoy a good rifle.
280 AI using 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds. One shot at 158 yards last August in the Brooks Range. Love that 280 AI.

1596738023404.png

1596738045844.png

That is fantastic! Were you nervous at all using it, or full confidence?
I wasn't nervous at all and had complete confidence. I've used the Accubonds on game enough and also testing them in gallon water jugs lined up from 25-100-300-400-500 yards to know how they will perform. I did think about moving up to the 160 gr. Accubond and working the load up for it, but the 140's worked so well I knew they would hold together and would also penetrate and that's all I needed them to do.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
The .280 AI is a great all around cartridge for sure. Hope you love the rifle when you get hands on it.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Little update, sounds Like they got my action in from Defiance and they have the other components as well. So far they’ve been pretty great to work with.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
8A689090-97F6-4EC0-9E8E-F1A6BF201F54.jpeg
The Defiance anTi arrived at my FFL and I started the California communist party 10 day wait. Once it’s out of jail it will go to APR. All other components are in and ready to go. Can’t wait for this rifle.

Last edited:

Sako76

WKR
Good luck with your 280 AI and APR, I've been looking at their Maverick rifles, a great rifle and a fantastic price. I have a Legendary Arms Works Professional rifle in 280 AI. It shoots Nosler factory 140 grain Accubonds and Hornady factory 162 grain ELD-X's a 1/2" and Nosler factory 160 grain Partitions just under an inch. No kick with the brake and it handles great. I haven't shot anything with it yet. Super rifle.

Congrats on the build! I got a APR TBH group build a few years ago in 300WM and have been super happy. Took my second elk with it this year. Gun shoots lights out, great value. It was surprising light for a rifle that shoots that easy but I sorta cancelled then weight savings with a heavy scope.

RDG_RNR

FNG
How’s the progress and LT looking? I’m looking to kick off an Altitude build now.

I’m tempted to go 280AI, but 300WM is calling. Going to replace my 300WSM for out of state

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard nothing but good things about APR. Next rifle I buy is coming from them. Great call on cartridge, too. I tend to agree that it is the perfect non-magnum cartridge.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
How’s the progress and LT looking? I’m looking to kick off an Altitude build now.

I’m tempted to go 280AI, but 300WM is calling. Going to replace my 300WSM for out of state
I spoke to them today and they said it was in the paint booth, likely to ship by the end of the week if not sooner. Turn around time will have been just a hair over 4 months. They happened to have the barrel I wanted on hand when I ordered so I’m sure that helped to expedite the timeline.

I have a buddy who is having a 6.5 PRC built by them, when we ordered our rifles they said expect 6-8 months depending on parts availability.

Have to say they’ve been nothing but honest about everything in this process.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I emailed them over the weekend about the Altitude, with some minor tweaks, waiting to hear back from them. I called them today and they said they will just respond to my email, they are backed up because of being closed for holidays.

Mainly just getting the Altitude with adjustable stock, same brand stock in 300 PRC. I was looking into getting the parts and building basically the same gun, just happen to stumble across their site somehow.
I am in no rush for getting it, I am sure it will take awhile cause I am left handed. Would like to go ahead and get it ordered in the next several weeks though.

eoperator

WKR
I have danm near the same thing coming from apr, altitude 280ai 1-8" 24". They just called today asking what reamer I wanted. Hopefully they get it shipped next week.

RDG_RNR

FNG
I spoke to them today and they said it was in the paint booth, likely to ship by the end of the week if not sooner. Turn around time will have been just a hair over 4 months. They happened to have the barrel I wanted on hand when I ordered so I’m sure that helped to expedite the timeline.

I have a buddy who is having a 6.5 PRC built by them, when we ordered our rifles they said expect 6-8 months depending on parts availability.

Have to say they’ve been nothing but honest about everything in this process.
I just kicked off my build today! Cant wait.

Those guys have been great to work with. They actually talked me down from the Apex saying the Altitude is a better value.

Hope your putting rounds down range soon! Update us with some pics when it comes in!

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
I just kicked off my build today! Cant wait.

Those guys have been great to work with. They actually talked me down from the Apex saying the Altitude is a better value.

Hope your putting rounds down range soon! Update us with some pics when it comes in!
Ya I had a bunch of grand plans when I called them to upgrade from the TT Special to the Diamond and they talked me out of it, who did you deal with? I ordered through Garret, he’s a solid dude for sure.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I might just try and call them again and see if I can get the ball rolling, they haven't replied to my email from Sunday.