New 280 AI build with Alamo Precision Rifles

mvrk28

WKR
This will be a thread that comes and goes I’m sure.

For now I’m just stoked to say I’ve been talking to APR and we are getting ball rolling on a 280 AI, it will be from their “altitude“ line.

The action is a Defiance AnTi, Proof barrel (26” Sendero, 1:9” twist), Trigger Tech special,AG composites alpine hunter stock and I believe it’s APR’s own bottom metal. I added an Area 419 hellfire brake.

Everybody over there is really cool, can’t wait to get this puppy in my hands.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
What will the finished weight be? I've never seen anything from them that I thought was a good weight.
I was told between 6 and 7 lbs. I’m not anticipating anything too light with a long action, 26” barrel and brake. That being said the action is crazy light, like 22 oz.

manitou1

WKR
When I retire from the military this winter, my plan is to have those guys build me a .280ai also. Twenty-six incher too! I see no reason to neuter such a great caliber by hobbling it's performance with a short barrel... but we all have our preferences.
Please be sure and post pics and a shooting report once you get your new pea shooter.
It appears that APR offers a lot of bang for the buck and they put out some nice looking rifles... congratulations.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
When I retire from the military this winter, my plan is to have those guys build me a .280ai also. Twenty-six incher too! I see no reason to neuter such a great caliber by hobbling it's performance with a short barrel... but we all have our preferences.
Please be sure and post pics and a shooting report once you get your new pea shooter.
It appears that APR offers a lot of bang for the buck and they put out some nice looking rifles... congratulations.

first, thank you for your service!

I‘ve heard nothing but good things about APR and the price was definitely easier to deal with.

I hope your rifles turn out to be everything that you hoped for. I know I sure like my 280AI I had made from a Winchester Model 70. It turned out beautiful and is a shooter. I have a 1-9 twist 24" standard model 70 contour barrel. My load using 140 gr. Nosler Partitions chronographs at 3230 fps and the Accubond at 3186 fps. The barrel is a Shilen stainless match grade barrel.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Wild to hamstring yourself with 1/3 of a foot of too much barrel, plus a brake, and not enough rpm for the good bullets, among other details, but to each their own.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Wild to hamstring yourself with 1/3 of a foot of too much barrel, plus a brake, and not enough rpm for the good bullets, among other details, but to each their own.
You just disappeared up your own ass.

Not enough RPM for the good bullets? Berger recommends 1:10” or better for the 168 gr VLD. There are many documented cases of people shooting that bullet over 3000 FPS out of a 26” barrel in a 280 ai.

This build is a pretty common setup.

I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but you decided to come in here and act like a prick. Take that somewhere else.

Last edited:
Kinda being a dick for no reason I can see. The guys excited about his build and this is how he wants to do it. It’s his dream rifle not yours and couldn’t a guy just be happy for someone. Really not necessary in any way shape or form.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Feel free to share the specs of the builds you’ve had done, I’m sure they’re vastly superior...

WRO

WKR
You just disappeared up your own ass.

Not enough RPM for the good bullets? Berger recommends 1:10” or better for the 168 gr VLD. There are many documented cases of people shooting that bullet over 3000 FPS out of a 26” barrel in a 280 ai.

This build is a pretty common setup.

I don’t know who pissed in your Cheerios but you decided to come in here and act like a prick. Take that somewhere else.
Guys just offering his 2 cents..

I've never understood the 280ai at all.

That being said, buy what makes you happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Kinda being a dick for no reason I can see. The guys excited about his build and this is how he wants to do it. It’s his dream rifle not yours and couldn’t a guy just be happy for someone. Really not necessary in any way shape or form.
In my experience there is usually a reason people come on these kinds of posts to act salty.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
In researching every big game caliber on the planet, I think the perfect North American caliber is .280 Ackley. Tons of bullet options, moderate recoil, non-magnum but still great velocities, efficient round, and the best part... odd enough caliber that gun ppl love it but not too “hipstery” to be the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Enjoy a good rifle.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Guys just offering his 2 cents..

I've never understood the 280ai at all.

That being said, buy what makes you happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with not being in to the cartridge.

I’ve never been high on big bores, I think 7mm bullets are superior to .308, but that’s just my opinion.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
In researching every big game caliber on the planet, I think the perfect North American caliber is .280 Ackley. Great bullet options, non-magnum but still good velocities, efficient round, and the best part... odd enough caliber that gun ppl love it but not too “hipstery” to be the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Enjoy a good rifle.
Thanks!

Sounds like a slick rig, APR built my 280AI in 2018 and I couldn’t be happier. Did the 8.44 twist proof on mine. Sort of a happy medium between the 8 and 9.

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Sounds like a slick rig, APR built my 280AI in 2018 and I couldn’t be happier. Did the 8.44 twist proof on mine. Sort of a happy medium between the 8 and 9.
Nice! I talked to Garret over there a bit prior to placing the order and he confirmed my thoughts on everything. I actually appreciated that he talked me out of wasting some money on stuff I wasn't aware of. I think in the end I won't hunt in CA with this rifle. It's doable but I've already got a 6.5 CM shooting Hammer Hunters very well and I think that round is enough for the deer we have here. Out of state, which is where I do most of my hunting I think a 168 gr Berger will do it, according to the Berger site a 1:9" will work all the way up to the 195 gr EOL Elite Hunter which I won't be running.

280 AI has been a round I've wanted to get in to for a few years now, stoked that it's finally happening. Did you do the SAAMI or Traditional chamber?

Nice! I talked to Garret over there a bit prior to placing the order and he confirmed my thoughts on everything. I actually appreciated that he talked me out of wasting some money on stuff I wasn't aware of. I think in the end I won't hunt in CA with this rifle. It's doable but I've already got a 6.5 CM shooting Hammer Hunters very well and I think that round is enough for the deer we have here. Out of state, which is where I do most of my hunting I think a 168 gr Berger will do it, according to the Berger site a 1:9" will work all the way up to the 195 gr EOL Elite Hunter which I won't be running.

280 AI has been a round I've wanted to get in to for a few years now, stoked that it's finally happening. Did you do the SAAMI or Traditional chamber?

I went with the SAAMI chamber for the ease of using Nosler brass. Mine is extremely accurate with factory 140 accubonds as well as my 155 hammer handloads. I played around with bergers, Nosler lrab, and eldx without much success. May revisit the 168 bergers now that I have some RL26. Good luck!
2938187F-8ED8-4C7D-A925-9540789CE148.jpeg

MThuntr

WKR
I love my 280AI (not a custom) with 1:9 twist. It sends 143 Hammers at 3168 and that's not the fastest load just most accurate.

I think you're going to be very happy once it arrives. Thoughts on optics?