New .54 700ML owner looking for some advice

I inherited a 700ML in .54. My grandfather and I put three rounds through it in 2003 and then it wasn’t touched again until I started messing around with it a few weeks ago.

I’ve shot 18, 385gn Powerbelts through it (they don’t make this hollow point anymore), and can’t get it to group well.

Should I give up on the powerbelts? Or is there something I need to change? I’m using a 100gn charge of Pyrodex. I started with cleaning the barrel after every shot, then went to cleaning after every third.

I also have 60 Hornady Great Plains 425 grain lead bullets. All the lube has come off of these from being in storage for so long. Can I just use lube 103 or barrel butter to lube these bullets? Or do I need to buy a dedicated bullet lube?

In the future I’ll be converting to a 209 primmer systems with dreams of shooting BH 209, but currently I’m using #11 caps and Pyrodex.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
-DJ

Firehawk

WKR
Is that barrel a 1:28 twist? If it is in that neighborhood twist rate, I would definitely give the No Excuses conical bullets a try. They were extremely accurate in two .54 caliber rifles we had. Give them a try. https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/54-caliber-525-grains/

We lit ours off with 100-110 grains of Pyrodex and a no 11 Magnum cap. Very accurate and that is a lot of bullet. It will leave a mark on the game it hits for sure. If I were to do it again, I would add a wad to help keep from leading my barrel. The hotter the charge I used, the more I noticed the leading in my barrel.

OP
E
Thanks for the reply.

It’s a 1:28 twist. I’ll try those, but I may not be able to send them with a 100 gn of Pyrodex, a 525gn projectile is going to leave a mark on more than just game. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

Firehawk

WKR
It did kick hard on my TC Firehawk. 110 grains felt like my fillings were coming loose while at the bench. But 5 shot groups, all touching and making one large hole, with a peep sighted TC Firehawk at 100 yards, made me willing to deal with the pain. And who has ever noticed recoil in the field...right?

FLS

WKR
I’ve got a .50 cal 700 ML. Converting it to 209 ignition should improve accuracy some. Mine shoots light out with 100 grains of 777 and a 250 grain Barnes TEZ. Those old Remingtons have a cult following.

OP
E
It did kick hard on my TC Firehawk. 110 grains felt like my fillings were coming loose while at the bench. But 5 shot groups, all touching and making one large hole, with a peep sighted TC Firehawk at 100 yards, made me willing to deal with the pain. And who has ever noticed recoil in the field...right?
I’m pretty sure if the rack is big enough I could shoulder a howitzer and not feel the recoil.

OP
E
I’ve got a .50 cal 700 ML. Converting it to 209 ignition should improve accuracy some. Mine shoots light out with 100 grains of 777 and a 250 grain Barnes TEZ. Those old Remingtons have a cult following.
Did you use a the Badger Ridge conversion? They seem like a well built kit.

FLS

WKR
No I used this one. No complaints. Rifle shoots like a center fire.

OP
E
No I used this one. No complaints. Rifle shoots like a center fire.

Thanks, that one’s a bit cheaper than the badger. I guess I have some modding to do.

madgrad02

WKR
I've been on the fence about upgrading my .54 700ML with a 209 system, but hard to justify when it punches holes touching each other at 100yds (realistically don't shoot much further than that here in Wisconsin). I use 110gr (volume) of Shockey fffg behind 275gr Barnes Expander MZs.

OP
E
A little update:

I ended up upgrading it to a 209 primer system from Badger Ridge Industries. I really like the system and it has proven to be 100% reliable with Blackhorn 209.

I gave up on powerbelts. No matter what I did I could not get them to group worth a crap.

Right now I’m shooting the rest of my Hornady Great Planes 425 grain bullets. Unfortunately I’m going to have to find a new bullet since I’m almost out of these and they don’t (to my knowledge) make them anymore. With the Great Plains it’s shooting just at 1 MOA which I’m thrilled with.

We are all tagged out this year, but I’m already planning on the mods for next year. First up, I need to find a new bullet. I’m going heed @Firehawk advice and try the no excuses bullets, it my plan is to push them as slow as I can get them accurate. This is for Indiana white tail within 100 yards, so I don’t need monster power. But what I would like is my wife to be comfortable behind it to extend her rifle season.

Which brings me to the next mod, a limb saver recoil pad. My 700ml pad and stock in general leave a lot to be desired. The wife shoots my .28 Nosler all day long and I think a large part of that is the recoil pad, so the old 700ml is definitely getting a limbsaver.

316 days until the 2023 season, ut who’s counting.

Cheers!

A little update:

I ended up upgrading it to a 209 primer system from Badger Ridge Industries. I really like the system and it has proven to be 100% reliable with Blackhorn 209.

I gave up on powerbelts. No matter what I did I could not get them to group worth a crap.

Right now I’m shooting the rest of my Hornady Great Planes 425 grain bullets. Unfortunately I’m going to have to find a new bullet since I’m almost out of these and they don’t (to my knowledge) make them anymore. With the Great Plains it’s shooting just at 1 MOA which I’m thrilled with.

We are all tagged out this year, but I’m already planning on the mods for next year. First up, I need to find a new bullet. I’m going heed @Firehawk advice and try the no excuses bullets, it my plan is to push them as slow as I can get them accurate. This is for Indiana white tail within 100 yards, so I don’t need monster power. But what I would like is my wife to be comfortable behind it to extend her rifle season.

Which brings me to the next mod, a limb saver recoil pad. My 700ml pad and stock in general leave a lot to be desired. The wife shoots my .28 Nosler all day long and I think a large part of that is the recoil pad, so the old 700ml is definitely getting a limbsaver.

316 days until the 2023 season, ut who’s counting.

Cheers!
Maybe look at No Excuses and/or Parker Hydra-Con for .54cal stuff. Both make great products.

I saw you had a Firehawk. I'm in the process of customizing a TC Thunderhawk in .54cal. Adding a brake and pic rail, and I was able to find a factory (new) 209 kit for it. This ignition is being modified to accept the Variflame adapters. It's almost done and I cant wait to get it dialed in!

Firehawk

WKR
I sold my Firehawk several years ago to my brother's buddy that needed a ML to get started. Kind of wished I hadn't sold it. Was a good rifle that shot well.

Good luck with your TC Thunderhawk. Sounds like a cool project.

Just waiting on the ignition and striker to come back from the gunsmith in Virginia!

Attachments

• 70821546245__04921DCB-1A76-4BF0-ADB5-D3B0D8D20816.jpeg
    70821546245__04921DCB-1A76-4BF0-ADB5-D3B0D8D20816.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 2
Nice, I like these & all but with price of blackhorn getting so crazy been building smokeless 700ML. My friend gave me a Knight disc in 50 cal my son wants me to setup for him.

I wish i could find a 700ML in 45 cal - must not made many