New 56mm Swaro spotter

WRO

WKR
STC is at 18x-40 vs the 883 at 25-60X. It is not apples to apples and for two different uses.
Is it usable at 60? I've not used the little kowa so I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The 25-60x Kowa eyepiece is for the 77 and 88mm units. The ‘little Kowa’ is 15-45x and if there’s plenty of light, yes it’s very useful at 45x.

The 25-60x Kowa eyepiece is for the 77 and 88mm units. The ‘little Kowa’ is 15-45x and if there’s plenty of light, yes it’s very useful at 45x.
Agreed.

I'd also add that my TSN554 only gives up a few minutes to my partner's TSN774 at the end of the day. And it's right there, with another buddy's ATS65. I'll take the compact size and weight in favor of 5-10 minutes. Those extra few minutes are not going to give me the opportunity to plan and execute a stalk anyway.

Last edited:

MTThrower

FNG
Anyone else hoping for used Kowa 55 mm reasonably priced hitting the used market when the ATC/STC ships? Seems like the differences are small although I still can't find a side by side review comp.

Blue72

WKR
Anyone else hoping for used Kowa 55 mm reasonably priced hitting the used market when the ATC/STC ships? Seems like the differences are small although I still can't find a side by side review comp.

why wait you can get a brand new Nikon ED50 from Japan gray market for $500

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this will work. It is the video with the two spotting scopes on tripods. If the link doesn't work just google marsupial gear instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markwondi

FNG
Wish I didn’t see this… I have a STS and been looking at the small Kowa but will probably end up with the Swaro.

Define "reasonably priced? With a bit of leg work, and good timing, you can find brand new ones for about $1400.

crosey5

FNG
Does anyone know when these will start shipping from the retailers? Most sites say "Q4", looking for a more specific timeline.

wyosteve

WKR
I was at Scheels in Colorado 2 weeks ago. Salesman there told me they would be getting some by mid-November. Wouldn't hold my breath on that date though.

Broomd

WKR
I haven't looked through either of them, but the thing that stands out to me is this:

FOV @ Min Mag
Kowa (15x): 132 ft
Swaro (17x): 186 ft

FOX @ Max Mag
Kowa (45x): 69 ft
Swaro (40x): 102 ft

Eye Relief
Kowa: 14.5-12 dependent on power
Swaro: 20mm

I'd be interested in a glass comparison for quality but those are some big differences.
Behold ...

1666112528548.png

I hate you guys. I just had a Kowa 554 show up at my door today. I almost bought the STS 65 but went with the Kowa because of its size and weight and until now I though swaro didn’t make anything comparable in size.
I bet you won’t be disappointed side by side with the kowa and new little swaro

I want to look through the little swaro, but I have a feeling I will get the kowa when I buy.

I know the bigger scopes, the kowa hangs well with the swaro

I hope you’re right. I’ve been using it for the last 4 days watching whitetails and I’m pretty disappointed in the zoom in mornings and evenings. This is my first high end spotter and maybe I’m expecting too much but it seems to need quite a bit of light to see what you want at 3/4 to full zoom. I was better off zoomed all the way out. So if the swaro is better in those times I’ll have a very lightly used 554 to sell you.

I hope you’re right. I’ve been using it for the last 4 days watching whitetails and I’m pretty disappointed in the zoom in mornings and evenings. This is my first high end spotter and maybe I’m expecting too much but it seems to need quite a bit of light to see what you want at 3/4 to full zoom. I was better off zoomed all the way out. So if the swaro is better in those times I’ll have a very lightly used 554 to sell you.

Sorry to hear that. My 554 loses about five minutes on each end of the day to my buddy's 773. But I expect that, given the difference in objectives. Aside from that, it's plenty bright, even at the high end of magnification. And I'll take that penalty of a few minutes loss, in exchange for the light weight and compactness of the 553/4.

Maybe you should have yours checked out....

Last edited: