New 7Mag Owner what Powder

gethuntin

WKR
Just picked up a Sako A7 big game from Cabelas in a 7mm mag.
My plan was to load a relativley high BC bullet, i did pick up some 150 LRAB bc it was the only thing on the shelf.
But i would rather shoot some high bc bullet it the 160 or 168 grain range. Other options would be the berger classics the 168 LRAB or the 160 Accubond.
I am having a hard time finding any powder right now that would accomadate these bullet weights (160,168) but was wondering what powder should i concentrate my efforts in finding.Looking for good speed and accuracy and I am kinda partial to the Hodgon extreme powders. I noticed RL25 has some of the better speeds but H1000, retumbo, rl22,imr4350 also has been mentioned in reloading books.

Thanks

ST52v

WKR
In August I got a new tikka in 7 mag. With limited time to play before our trip to wyoming I did not have good luck with any of the typical powders for my 168 bergers. My buddy wiped me up a load using h4350 and it shot good from the get go. It is probably slow compared to some loads but I will take an accurate load over a fast load any day. This spring I plan to do some testing with other powders, primers and bullets. I shot my cow elk at 40-50 yds with a frontal shot. She spun and took two steps. She was dead on her feet but didn't know it. Let us know what you find. For christmas santa brought me a B&C stock for it. I am excited to do some testing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only powder I've ever needed to use for my 7mag was RL-22. But if I couldn't find any I wouldn't hesitate trying some of those others.

LaHunter

WKR
I have a 7mm rem mag and I handload for it. My load that I use is 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips along with IMR 4350 powder at 64.3 grains. I get mv of 3215 fps through a chrono set at 15 ft from muzzle. I have a 26" Kreiger barrel with a 1 in 9.5" twist rate. The mv does tend to increase as outside air temps get near 80 degrees. My best group from the bench has been 2.5 inches at 600 yards (no wind on this day). I routinely get sub .5 moa groups and many times I am able to shoot .25 - .30 moa groups from 200 to 600 yards, depending on the wind. I seat the bullets to be 0.015" off the lands. I have a box of the new Accubond LR 150 grain that I plan on switching to if I can match accuracy and velocity that I get with the ballistic tips. The powder charge is a bit more than the Nosler manual lists as max, but I get no signs of excessive pressure.

Good Luck

Broz

WKR
H-1000 and a 180 Berger VLD or Hybrid. Providing your rifle is the traditional 9.25.
Might be a little slower than a 168 but pays off big at the longer pokes or when put in an elk. The little bit slower MV over a 168 will help up close too. Especially if the Hybrid is used, and the Hybrid will have more expansion than the VLD on slowed long range impact velocities.
Jeff

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
I believe it has a 9.5 i might have a problem with 180 gr high BC bullets as my mag will only allow a COAL of 3.35.

H-1000 and a 180 Berger VLD or Hybrid. Providing your rifle is the traditional 9.25.
Might be a little slower than a 168 but pays off big at the longer pokes or when put in an elk. The little bit slower MV over a 168 will help up close too. Especially if the Hybrid is used, and the Hybrid will have more expansion than the VLD on slowed long range impact velocities.
Jeff

Broz

WKR
a 9.5 would probably not work unless you are at and hunt high altitude. That mag box length would be hard for me to live with. Probably going to limit you to the Classic Hunter or single feed them. We kill well over a dozen elk a year and I never load a mag box. But realize not everyone hunts like or where we do.

Jeff

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
You are correct; some of my hunting a single feed wouldnt be ideal you just never know what type of situation a guy will run into.

a 9.5 would probably not work unless you are at and hunt high altitude. That mag box length would be hard for me to live with. Probably going to limit you to the Classic Hunter or single feed them. We kill well over a dozen elk a year and I never load a mag box. But realize not everyone hunts like or where we do.

Jeff

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
Has the length of the magazine box given him problems? Or does it do fine with some jump, i assume he isnt all that close to the lands? Has he ever shared showed you groups from his rifle?

I have a buddy who swears by H1000 with 162 Hornady SSTs. Same exact rifle he bought at Cabela's last year!

I don't remember the seating depth, but he fed them through the mag. It consistently shot .5-.75 MOA out to 600 yards. He has a Leupold 4-12 CDS on it. The whole set up looked like it will work well out to 6-800 yards. If I see him and remember to ask, I'll find out jump to land and velocity numbers.

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
thanks sam,, sounds like we will have about an identical setup, i have a leupold 4.5-14 cds on the bench just need to decide on rings.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have had good luck with Ramshot Magnum in a Tikka 7mm mag.

The bullet is a 168 grain Berger classic hunter.

I also use the same powder in my 6.5-06 Ackley with great results.

sendero72

FNG
I load with H-1000 and the 162 Amax and when I'm doing my part it will group in the .1,.2's. But just about any powder is hard to find now as well as all other components.