New 7mm rem mag rifle recommendations

idahodave

WKR
Already have a scope ready for it (Vortex Viper HS), so scope cost isn't really a factor, but $ for upgrades as needed is worth considering. Also should note since I hope this to be a jack of all trades for western hunting, a tight twist is preferable. I think some of the brownings are 1:8, while most of the others are 1:9-1:9.5". Worth considering trying to find a 1:8 so I can stabilize heavier rounds?

The Havak is twisted 1:8.5. Just as importantly, the magazine will allow you to seat the bullets out as loooong as you want to. I'm pushing 180 VLDs in my sons, and it's a match made in Heaven. Anything inside of 700 feels like a foregone conclusion when the trigger breaks...and it's a very nice Timney trigger fwtw.

Dave

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have a CA Mesa in 7RM and absolutely love it. It’s a tack driver right out of the box with every factory load I’ve put through it. I’m up to around 300 rounds down the pipe and it’s still getting better. I’ve had friends joke that I overpaid but every single one of them that shot my rifle got real quiet afterward. Well worth the money IMO.

I will agree that if you’re looking for a smooth action rifle, this ain’t it. The action really likes to be worked hard but if you’re willing to do that there’ll be 0 issues. I’ve never owned a Tikka but have heard their actions are super smooth.

P.S. Sportsman’s Warehouse is running a deal where they’ll give you a $350 gift card if you purchase a Mesa. Not sure if you have one near you but may be worth looking into.

- RadDad

I'm having the same issue making a decision between these rifles. I've handled them all and just can't seem to bite the bullet.
-Love Browning aesthetics and weight, but hate the trigger.
-Love the Tikka action and reviews on accuracy, but hate the aesthetic.
-Love the aesthetics of the Christensen, but hate the reviews on accuracy.
-Love the Savage 110 Ultralight barrel and weight, but hate the action.
-Love the aesthetic and performance of the Bergara, hate the weight.

I wish I could find a sub $1500 rifle that had it all. I'm also one of those people that can't buy a gun with the viewpoint of it just being a tool. I want it to be a sexy tool. LOL. Good luck with your purchase.

Gila

WKR
Smooth action, under 8 pds, shooter out of the box says tikka all day….if want a looker over plain Jane functional quality without mods would look to another option.
Tikkas for almost 20 years now. The adj trigger feels great...One of the most accurate procduction barrels made.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having the same issue making a decision between these rifles. I've handled them all and just can't seem to bite the bullet.

-Love Browning aesthetics and weight, but hate the trigger.

-Love the Tikka action and reviews on accuracy, but hate the aesthetic.

-Love the aesthetics of the Christensen, but hate the reviews on accuracy.

-Love the Savage 110 Ultralight barrel and weight, but hate the action.

-Love the aesthetic and performance of the Bergara, hate the weight.

I wish I could find a sub $1500 rifle that had it all. I'm also one of those people that can't buy a gun with the viewpoint of it just being a tool. I want it to be a sexy tool. LOL. Good luck with your purchase.

Regarding aesthetics. You can replace the Tikka stock and bottom metal and still be under 1500.

Jqlarson

FNG
I vote Tikka T3x SL all day. I have a safe full of different brand/caliber rifles. The Tikka 7RM SL gets the vote 95% of the time. Very accurate, great trigger, fits me and a silky smooth bolt. If I had to own one rifle, this would be the one.

Is the super light version of T3x in 7RM enough weight to take the recoil of 7RM? I’m less experienced and am considering the lite or super lite and just want to get that stock weight right so it’s not too light for the recoil. Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon. It is an absolute laser and I like that it comes with a 26” barrel. Also lightweight.

2-Stix

WKR
Is the super light version of T3x in 7RM enough weight to take the recoil of 7RM? I’m less experienced and am considering the lite or super lite and just want to get that stock weight right so it’s not too light for the recoil. Any help appreciated

I have the Veil model in the Tikka 7rm. Built up with rings and scope its 8.5#. My .308 is 7.25# built up in the lite model. Recoil feels very similar to be honest. At the range you feel recoil a bit...but in the moment hunting you don't feel or hear anything. I don't spend a lot of time at the range. 1-2 days a year checking zero and running some long shots.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR

If you don’t want a brake...I would go with the T3X LITE in stainless. Just a few ounces more will make a difference. Put on a Limbsaver recoil pad (I like the standard model without the air baffles). If you don’t want a black color stock, you can paint it. Plenty of expertise on this forum on how to paint your stock.

Jon Boy

WKR
Man my super lite in 7 mag with a 4 port brake still bucked like a mother. If you reload go 7/08 and never look back. My superlite in 7/08 was the best rifle I ever had. Bummed I got rid of her

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a SL in 7 RM and it’s a good quality gun. The ounce or two (if that) difference between light and super light won’t move the needle on recoil. Mine measured 98.41 ounces (6.2 lbs) on the kitchen scale bare gun with a limbsaver swap

Last edited:

Sorry,
Just saw this post. I will admit that there is a bit of recoil but I put the Limb Saver butt pad on it so it helps a good bit. I shoot a good bit and am not very recoil conscious, so it would really be what you wanted to experience.