New Alaska rifle

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Browning Xbolt pro in 300wm. Although it shoots well, and is fairly light weight I’m not a huge fan of the length. It will mainly be used for Alaska moose and brown bears.

I have a ton of 300wm ammo. My question is do I get another rifle in a different caliber like a 308, 300wsm, or 30-06 and run a 20-22 inch barrel or do I try to find a shorter 300 wm because of the ammo I have.

I’m also open to other ideas but the main question is lightest/most maneuverable rifle under 2k thats sufficient for moose to 350 yards and bears to 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is shortening the barrel an option?

My 338 has a 24” barrel. I wouldn’t want it any longer, but the length hasn’t been a problem.

Northpark

WKR
I’d just cut it down to whatever length you want and call it good. That’s probably the cheapest option which leaves more $$$$ for hunting trips.

TN2shot07

WKR
The new x bolts in the suppressor ready version are coming factory with a 22 inch barrel in 300 win. If you like the rifle I also vote to cut it down and roll on! If you are looking for an excuse for another rifle, ignore this comment and buy it!

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
I’d just cut it down to whatever length you want and call it good. That’s probably the cheapest option which leaves more $$$$ for hunting trips.

I’m not wanting to cut the barrel and I’m in a financial situation where money isn’t an issue. With that said, I don’t see a point in spending more than 2k on a rifle

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Are you happy with the rifle or are you looking to get something different?

I’m looking to get another rifle thats “brush ready”. In some hunting situations I want a shorter rifle because of walking through willows or bushes.

You mentioned brush ready and 350 yards. To me, that means I want a 1-6 optic with a red dot in the center (trijicon credo hx?).

With your budget, maybe a production rifle of your choice and then custom options (barrel length, stock, etc).

Sounds like a good project.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
You mentioned brush ready and 350 yards. To me, that means I want a 1-6 optic with a red dot in the center (trijicon credo hx?).

With your budget, maybe a production rifle of your choice and then custom options (barrel length, stock, etc).

Sounds like a good project.

Thanks, personally I am open to a lot. I do have a scope in mind though. If you had 2k to spend on a gun what would you be looking at?

Northpark

WKR
I’m not wanting to cut the barrel and I’m in a financial situation where money isn’t an issue. With that said, I don’t see a point in spending more than 2k on a rifle

Well if you’re looking at another rifle the options are darn near endless these days. Me personally I’ve always wanted a nosler model 48 outfitter. 22” barrel with back up iron sights. That’s just me though.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Christensen Mesa FFT in .300win with 22” barrel would be pretty intriguing and under budget.

I appreciate the suggestion, however, I am hesitant to get a Christensen because of their quality control. What other rifles would you be looking at?

Sled

WKR
Ruger no 1 for a brush gun that can still shoot your required 350.

I'm a Tikka fan and 20" bbl suppressed is my preference. The WSM family goes well with that setup.

For brush with the possibility of dangerous game you might want controlled round feed. If that's the case you might want to look at the fierce fury.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Well if you’re looking at another rifle the options are darn near endless these days. Me personally I’ve always wanted a nosler model 48 outfitter. 22” barrel with back up iron sights. That’s just me though.

Thanks, I’ll check it out

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger no 1 for a brush gun that can still shoot your required 350.

I'm a Tikka fan and 20" bbl suppressed is my preference. The WSM family goes well with that setup.

For brush with the possibility of dangerous game you might want controlled round feed. If that's the case you might want to look at the fierce fury.

I do love tikkas

Seekins havic or a fierce. Or have a gunsmith put a barrel on your browning

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk