New archer - bow suggestions ??

jimh406

WKR
Like rifles, setup and tuning is very important in archery. In spite of decades of technology, archery accuracy isn't much different than it was 50 years ago.

However, you are new and learning. A few words of advice. One, join a solid archery range in your area. You need a good place to practice and people to help you learn. Two, find a real pro shop that you trust that is involved with competitive shooting, the local archery range, and also hunting. Buy a bow from them. You don't have to buy an expensive bow to hunt. If you want to, fine.

Don't get hung up on the technology. Obviously, people are able use traditional archery to shoot animals regularly. Most archery equipment is like fishing equipment and lures, except most are designed to catch the hunter instead of the fisherman. You can pay almost as much as you want for your equipment, but it isn't required.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I am tighter than nuts on a new bridge so I always buy 2-3 year old flagship bows. I just picked up a new never shot mathews vxr 28 for $650 shipped off the mathews FB group. The money you save pays for your accessories.. Almost all todays flagship bows are so shootable! Cant go wrong with any of them in my opinion! Id stay away from the super short brace height speed bows. Go 6" are larger. You may have your draw length measured if you go the used online route. Last bit of advise if you buy your bow from an online source by your accessories from the local shop so you can build a relationship there. The techs at the shops can sure be a big help in tuning your rig. Plus it supports local small busniess:)

Zac

WKR
Last thing I would do is buy an online bow if you are new. You will have no idea if the cam system will fit you, and the shop you choose will not appreciate setting up a bow that you did not purchase from them. It's subjective at best, however you will probably get much better service and ongoing customer support if you go through your local shop for your entire setup. If you know archery and have a press, vice, and a paper tuning station in your garage then by all means buy used.

Agar426

FNG
My son got the Torrex XT from Hoyt, and it's their "budget bow." Although the price has jumped up for '22, we got it in '21 for a few hundred less. Bang for the buck, it's outstanding.....actually, it's outstanding period, regardless of price! Not trying to push the Torrex XT, just agreeing with everyone else in that there are many good options out there.

bozeman

WKR
1- realize you dont need a $1,000 bow and $800 in sights/accessories to kill an animal with a bow
2- each bow is personal fit, find a decent shop to help you set it up, tune it for you
3- join Archery Talk and read 1,000 threads with very little solid info ;)
4- use search function on here and look for 'newbie/beginner bow', tons of info
4- shoot, shoot, shoot.......start close, like 5 yards and ease out slowly....focus on form and holding without torque

most of all stay safe and have fun!

If I was in your shoes looking to buy a bow right now I'd be looking for a flagship bow from the last couple of years. My local bow shop has the hoyt rx5 ultra sitting in the shelf right now for 1200 bucks...400 off what it was last year. That is an amazing bow...I actually like it more than the upgraded version they released this year. Matthews also had some killer bows last year.

Honestly though you can get a great bow for much less than that. I would buy a bow from your bow shop. I find you get better service when you buy from them. Shoot what they have, see which one feels best for you, and buy it.

Also make sure you budget for accessories. I like Hamskea rests, Spot Hogg sights, and tight spot quivers... none of those things are cheap. I don't use a stabalizer because my hoyt came with one, but that is another area you can spend a grip of money.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I would generally agree with this post if it were an experienced archer, however, last years' flagship bow is likely to be an aggressive speed bow and a new shooter may find the draw too lumpy for learning basic archery skills. I bought a used Martin single-cam and learned to draw and shoot.... then, when my archery muscles were developed, went with a pre-owned Bowtech BTX 28.
I had a much better idea of what I wanted.
That said, I bought my 11 year old son a Diamond Infinite Edge which could range from 15-70lb and an equally wide draw length, and he is now pulling it maxed at 30" and it is light, quiet and fast.
Honestly I don't know why you would need more bow than that and it is available under $400 with admittedly basic accessories.
It gets you in the game and will kill animals if you do your part.

bsnedeker

WKR
I would generally agree with this post if it were an experienced archer, however, last years' flagship bow is likely to be an aggressive speed bow and a new shooter may find the draw too lumpy for learning basic archery skills. I bought a used Martin single-cam and learned to draw and shoot.... then, when my archery muscles were developed, went with a pre-owned Bowtech BTX 28.
I had a much better idea of what I wanted.
That said, I bought my 11 year old son a Diamond Infinite Edge which could range from 15-70lb and an equally wide draw length, and he is now pulling it maxed at 30" and it is light, quiet and fast.
Honestly I don't know why you would need more bow than that and it is available under $400 with admittedly basic accessories.
It gets you in the game and will kill animals if you do your part.
The Diamond IE is a good bow for a kid to learn on but it would be difficult for me to recommend to a grown adult. I actually did start out on that exact bow and I still have it for whenever my kids decide to get into shooting....that thing is PAINFUL for me to use these days. The back wall has over an inch of play in it. That's the price you pay for all that adjustability.

For a grown adult I would get a bow that is fitted to you specifically from a draw weight and draw length perspective. It certainly doesn't need to be a flagship bow, but since you can get such good deals on them once they aren't the "latest and greatest" anymore it is what I would do if I was looking to start over from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Toby0415

FNG
Go to a reputable shop, shoot everything they have at or under your budget and let the bow tell you which one to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
You've gotten the same advice a few times. Go to a reputable bowshop and shoot every one you can. One bow will pick you. It's like the cape picking Dr. Strange, it'll happen.

Yoder

WKR
I don't think it really matters what bow you buy. All of the leading manufacturers make good bows. I would bet all of them are more accurate than you are and will kill stuff. I would pick up something used to save some cash. So many people buy a new bow every couple years so many are hardly used. The money saved I would use for quality sights, rest, release and arrows. I shot the same Parker bow for 19 years. My "new" bow is a 2008 Bowtech Commander my dad gave me. He can't pull it back anymore. He just put all new strings and cables on it. It actually looks like a new bow. The thing is quiet and shoots great. I planned on buying a new bow this year but now I'm not even going to bother. You don't need to spend over $1000 on a bow. In fact if you are new, you won't even know what you like to shoot.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
The way your original post reads… I assume that you went to a box type store when you say a “well staffed archery department “. - maybe I’m wrong

* I would try to find an archery store.. chat with the owner and decide your budget etc.
Then in the future you would be dealing with same people and be building a relationship.

I'll say what many other people have said. Got to a good pro shop and shoot everything you can. Buy the one that feels best and don't be scared of new old stock. Based on reviews last year I could of swore I was buying the mathews v3, but walked out with the hout ventum 30. I wish I would have done more research on everything else that went into bow hunting. Which is:

1. The sight. I have a Landslyde now and love it.
2. The release. I have two primary is a spot hogg wise guy and back up is a scott samurai.
3. Arrows. Easton FMJ. Love them have had zero issues.
4. Broadheads. When I started I used mechanical heads based on a friend's recommendation. Had a bad experience and it cost me my first buck. Now I use magnus black hornet and stingers. I also have some Ironwills but they haven't been through any animal yet for me. I know people really like them.
5. Bow case. I currently have a plano hard case. Wish I would have gotten an SKB hard case.

Last edited:
OP
matsprt

matsprt

FNG
Who knew that there was SO much to bow hunting. It’s taken me weeks to come to a novice‘s grip on terminology. But I’m starting to understand what is sort of important and what is expensive stuff for later, after a certain level of proficiency is attained.

For your first bow I wouldn't go with a 2022 flagship unless you're confident you will get 5+ years out of it. You can get a "custom" bow fit to you with mid-to-high range accessories for sub $900 all said and done. For a beginner, I'd suggest spending no more than $400-600 on the bow and $250 on accessories. Really you should focus the most of your money on your arrow/broadhead set up-- keep in mind this is the actual component that makes or breaks you recovering an animal. I've seen folks shoot used $200 craigslist bows better than brand new $1200 Mathews. Having said that, I wouldn't purchase a used bow unless you fully trust the person prior never dry-fired it or torqued that cables too much. Check out bows like Prime that typically has a longer axel and provides easy maintenance/good service. You can get a couple year old model from a place like https://solohntr.com/collections/bows-closeout. For on-bow accessories: a single pin slider sight, and a whisker biscuit will do everything you need under 40 yds. Remember you can always upgrade the accessories at a later date too. Just don't skimp on your arrow setup!!!

Warlock

FNG
My son got the Torrex XT from Hoyt, and it's their "budget bow." Although the price has jumped up for '22, we got it in '21 for a few hundred less. Bang for the buck, it's outstanding.....actually, it's outstanding period, regardless of price! Not trying to push the Torrex XT, just agreeing with everyone else in that there are many good options out there.
I have the standard Torrex and I absolutely love it. Bought it as my first bow and I don’t see needing or wanting to upgrade for a ‘flagship’ bow for years to come. It does what it needs to do and it does it extremely well.