New Archer string release type

Newb Shooter String Release

• Total voters
So i've a bit of a dilemma. My wife wanted to get into archery, so we got her a bow. My first thoughts were that she should start with a wrist strap type release because they're reliable, they're attached to your body; so as long as your finger is off the trigger and she holds her arm back, there wouldn't be an AD.

Well after having her pull back and firing a few arrows, in addition to her body position/form, she's punching the trigger hard. This is just dropping an arrow into a point blank distance target. In addition to this, I let her try using my Nock 2 It, and she feels that release is a little more comfortable for anchor point and hand position.

I want to set her up for best performance and form. So I'm thinking if she likes the Nock 2 It, I should get her the Silverback so she has to focus on form and make it hard for her to punch the trigger. However, this takes me back to the "safety" of using a wrist strap because (in my mind) its waaay easier to have an AD with a tension release(for a new bow shooter).

OR Archer

WKR
Hook up a wrist strap with a leash on it. That will at least keep it from being totally let go. It’ll be better than the stock lanyard.

In my opinion, changing the release won't change the problem.

If anything get her one of the wrist straps that you can't punch.

Your body can learn to punch a tension and a hinge pretty quickly as well, so it's not actually fixing the problem.

So i've a bit of a dilemma. My wife wanted to get into archery, so we got her a bow. My first thoughts were that she should start with a wrist strap type release because they're reliable, they're attached to your body; so as long as your finger is off the trigger and she holds her arm back, there wouldn't be an AD.

Well after having her pull back and firing a few arrows, in addition to her body position/form, she's punching the trigger hard. This is just dropping an arrow into a point blank distance target. In addition to this, I let her try using my Nock 2 It, and she feels that release is a little more comfortable for anchor point and hand position.

I want to set her up for best performance and form. So I'm thinking if she likes the Nock 2 It, I should get her the Silverback so she has to focus on form and make it hard for her to punch the trigger. However, this takes me back to the "safety" of using a wrist strap because (in my mind) its waaay easier to have an AD with a tension release(for a new bow shooter).
Do you have any updates? My wife is about to start shooting for the first time and I have no idea what kind of a release would be best for learning, proper habits etc.

OP
D
Do you have any updates? My wife is about to start shooting for the first time and I have no idea what kind of a release would be best for learning, proper habits etc.

Yes actually.. The wife has only destroyed 1 arrow so far HAHA. Had a nice mushroom to it after shooting our Aluminum ramp for a 3rd time

So I let the wife draw with the Nock 2 It and she said it was waaaay more comfortable for her draw BUT even at point blank range, she still punched that trigger like it was 90 days late on a $50 payment..

Soo I shelled out the coin for a Silverback tension release and she's doing AMAZINGLY well. at 15 yards she's stacking arrows and knows exactly what she did wrong on the arrows shots that aren't getting stacked.

wapitibob

WKR
For an absolute beginner....
Barebow and fingers at 5 yards for at least a week. They'll learn how to draw and anchor without sights, which cause target panic.
Next, go to a thumb button, set medium, still no sights,. They'll learn how to draw, anchor, and execute, still without the issue of aiming. Another cpl weeks at this stage, maybe more.
Then, add a sight, 10 yards or less, and a single dot big enough that they are always aiming inside the dot. Another cpl weeks at least at this distance.
Then, gradually work back, and I mean weeks at each incremental distance. Again with a dot that they can hold in all the time. Continue to work back till you get to 20, then gradually reduce the dot size.

Whatever you do, don't stick a new archer at 20 yards, with a new release, and shooting at a vegas target. Their brain will only let them release the arrow when the pin is in the center, and they're moving so much it becomes a drive by and punch. Then they'll start to hold off the center because they're "not ready to shoot".