New Archery Hunter - Flat Top Wilderness

BDRam16

WKR
Maybe consider llamas or goats? Seem to be easier to deal with than horses or mules. Doesn’t solve your walking concerns though.

I would also say this...if a horse can get to a spot in the wilderness in a CO OTC unit...there’s probably an outfitted basecamp there.

Thank you for the input. I grew up with horses, mostly trail riding in TN. I also did a bit of back-packing. I guess I need to back up and consider my plan in more detail. I am not in the shape to hike several miles at high altitude each way each day. I appreciate the information. Until I get these items covered, I will continue to consider.

Basic horsemanship is a plus for bringing the horses in and riding. The packing is where accidents happen. I get several calls each year from the USFS, to go “rescue” a hunter who rented horses and had a wreck cause a pack slid and now their gear is spread everywhere and horses are nowhere to be found. Last year we got a call about a mule that was dead tied to a tree in the wilderness, had no idea who’s it was but it was just left there (ya not like they could pack it out) but when we got there you could see where it struggled for a long time and where the lead rope was tied up and it must of tried to roll and basically hung itself. Packing on saddle panniers is way harder than packing with sawbucks or deckers. You have to weigh each piece of gear and match the sides, where sawbuck panniers and deckers you put the gear all together and weigh it to be even then put it on the animal. Proper lashing will help keep loads secure but lashing wrong can cause sores. There’s a reason outfitters charge so much to pack and outfit hunters. It’s a skilled trade,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot goes into to taking horses/mules into the mountains!! I just take my mother in law, plus the bears stay away!!

doakes

FNG
If you have two young guys you should be fine. Steep country but you aren't getting any younger. I say go for it.