New Arrow Build Help

Rodéo

WKR
Currently using gt hunter xt 340 cut at 28.5 inches with 100 grain brass insert and 100 grain bh. Total arrow weight around 485 and about 17% FOC. Arrows grouped really well with bh's out to my MER of 45 but I'm having trouble tightening groups with my set up at 70 lbs.

Been messing with tuning my own set up lately after changing some things and I think I maybe under-spined since boosting my dw from 60 to 70 lb. Bow is a 2017 PSE Stinger at 70 lbs on the dot with 27.5 inch draw.

Looking to get into smaller diameter arrows for the new set up for mostly mulies and blacktails. Thinking 300 spine arrows (should I go lower?) but not sure where to go from there.. what weight should I have up front total to have around 15% FOC and maintain as high of an arrow FPS as I can given my bows IBO of around 315?

Specific arrow suggestions? Easton Axis vs FMJ pro? Do I need special broadheads or adapters if I switch to an easton setup?

Thanks

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Appreciate it.

Suggestions on arrows? Looking to try smaller diameter like 5mm mainly because all the cool kids seem to be doing it. Also looking at FMJ's. Thoughts?

I’ve shot FMJ’s since they first came out and absolutely love them, I have a Mathews switchback (IBO 318) shoot at 70# with a 27.5 inch draw and arrows cut to 28.5 and I shoot the 340 spine with 100 grain broadheads, I think they’re 11.2 gpi and it’s been awhile since I’ve shot through a chronograph but want to say I was around 275-280 FPS with that setup...but they hit hard and hold up well

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Ordered some easton fmj 340's (11.3 gpi) along with 10 gr collars from iron will. Thinking about running them with 50 grain HIT's for around 500 gr total arrow weight. Will experiment with 125 grain BH's up front as well but I'm a little concerned about shooting too slow at 530 total weight. Looking forward building the arrows and tuning this week.

Thanks for the help.

If you went with a 340 spine and want to try the 50 g brass insert, you will have to cut your arrows shorter than before. You should easily be able to cut an inch off , to your draw length 27.5”or even shorter. That will stiffen the shaft for the extra weight up front.

personally I love the axis arrow with the insert. Gets better FOC than the FMJ and doesn’t bend.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
If you went with a 340 spine and want to try the 50 g brass insert, you will have to cut your arrows shorter than before. You should easily be able to cut an inch off , to your draw length 27.5”or even shorter. That will stiffen the shaft for the extra weight up front.

personally I love the axis arrow with the insert. Gets better FOC than the FMJ and doesn’t bend.
Thanks for the input. I ordered them cut at around 28.25 CTC and I'll test the spine with the 50 g inserts to begin with. If these don't tune well I may order a half dozen axis and test them out at 300 with my setup.

I guess you don't have a cut off saw, and fletching jig:). When you start making your own arrows the options are limitless! That's one of the first things I would recommend to all archers. If you don't want to buy the stuff, if there is a local club they may have everything you need.

Ordered some easton fmj 340's (11.3 gpi) along with 10 gr collars from iron will. Thinking about running them with 50 grain HIT's for around 500 gr total arrow weight. Will experiment with 125 grain BH's up front as well but I'm a little concerned about shooting too slow at 530 total weight. Looking forward building the arrows and tuning this week.

Thanks for the help.
i have some velocity xts 300s with 100 grain brass inserts that I would sell for pretty cheap if interested. I think i have 8. they are cut to 28.5 and fletched with fusion 2.1s vanes. I only mention it becuase it sounds like it will be perfect for you if the 340 hunters werent stiff enough.

for dozens of arrows i buy from farmstead outdoors, they have great prices and will cut to size for you if you leave a note in the order comments. they sell on ebay too but cheaper to go straight to them.

also you can order from lancaster by the arrow which is good for sampling. 3 here or 3 there , they will cut to size and you can see what groups best.

arizona ez fletch is a great way to get started on arrow building and pretty idiot proof.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I guess you don't have a cut off saw, and fletching jig:). When you start making your own arrows the options are limitless! That's one of the first things I would recommend to all archers. If you don't want to buy the stuff, if there is a local club they may have everything you need.
I have a bitz and like to fletch my own arrows but I haven't gotten around to building an arrow saw yet. That's upcoming on the project list. For now I'll pay a few bucks to have them cut for me. But I agree, I joined a local club and it comes with bow press perks :)
Working on my own bow has been huge for me in the learning process.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
i have some velocity xts 300s with 100 grain brass inserts that I would sell for pretty cheap if interested. I think i have 8. they are cut to 28.5 and fletched with fusion 2.1s vanes. I only mention it becuase it sounds like it will be perfect for you if the 340 hunters werent stiff enough.

for dozens of arrows i buy from farmstead outdoors, they have great prices and will cut to size for you if you leave a note in the order comments. they sell on ebay too but cheaper to go straight to them.

also you can order from lancaster by the arrow which is good for sampling. 3 here or 3 there , they will cut to size and you can see what groups best.

arizona ez fletch is a great way to get started on arrow building and pretty idiot proof.
Thanks for the offer! I'll send you a pm once I get to tuning these FMJ's and see how they tear through paper. May have some hunter 340's with 100 grain inserts up for sale soon...

Appreciate it.

Suggestions on arrows? Looking to try smaller diameter like 5mm mainly because all the cool kids seem to be doing it. Also looking at FMJ's. Thoughts?
i hate FMJ's, for lots of reasons, but some swear by them.... the 5mm axis match grades are tough to beat, very solid arrow, and versatile. lots of good arrows on the market, but i like axis for .204 shafts. pretty much everyone builds good arrows these days. BE has some good options too. they used to get a bad rep for being fragile, but that has not been my experience at all... they have been solid for me.... still usually circle back to axis. think i'll add some elk river archery footers on them this year to ease my mind on the only thing i don't like about axis, which is the HIT inserts. i have never had one fail with normal shooting, but have had the ends mushroom shooting sage rats in the desert... lots of hard impacts, but still makes me concerned of the potential, which i think is small.

Joe G

FNG
Is the eastern axis 300 with a 50 grain insert and 100 point too much for an arrow I use for 3d and hunting ?

Check out Vector Customs, easy to use arrow builder and quality small diameter arrows that are build like a tank

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
With running 200 grains up front I would lean 250 to 280 spine leaving them that long. Cut 50 grains 300 spine but that’s me. If you want to shave weight on the overall arrow victory and black eagle have a lot of options with lower gpi if you still want to maximize FOC.

JoeDirt

WKR
Check out Vector Customs, easy to use arrow builder and quality small diameter arrows that are build like a tank
Hopefully they got their customer service straightened out. I ordered arrows from them last year and never got them. Multiple emails and calls with no response and when they did respond they were lying. I eventually had to dispute the charges.

JoeDirt

WKR
I shot the Axis 4mm 300's last year, 510 total weight. 28.5" draw 70lbs. I had to cut the arrows as short as possible to tune. Even 300's are pushing it for higher FOC build and being under spined.