New Arrow Build

waer0502

FNG
Hi all, I am venturing down the rabbit hole! Exciting stuff and potentially addicting stuff here...

Current bow:
Prime Centergy Hybrid
80# draw weight
29.5 draw length

Any solid recommendations for starting off points? I would like to go heavy and with single bevel, fixed broadheads and arrow brand doesn't really bother me. Currently shooting Victory Xtorsion 300s with 50 gn inserts and 100 gn schwackers.

This will be a go to for elk and deer combo.

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! A quick guess is that you are underspined now, and will be worse with a large fixed blade. I'd be looking at a .250, possibly a .200.

Jimbob

WKR
Easton Axis Match 260 - 28" carbon to carbon - 50 grain brass insert - 125 grain head - 4 fletch AAE max stealth with a wrap - total weight 540 grns - speed ~ 292 - FOC 12.6%.

My software says that arrow is perfectly spined to your set-up. You could lose the extra fletch and wrap tp help your FOC but it weakens your spine a bit and loses weight. If I had your set-up I would use the wrap and 4 fletch to get that total weight and stiffer spine.

Add a 125 grain iron will with a titanium impact collar (10 grains) and you will have the perfect set-up. The impact collar will bump your total weight to 550 and ever so slightly weaken your spine, should be good though.

The only opinions I have heard on GrizzStik have been negative. I have no personal experience or know anyone who has either.

I am a big easton Axis fan. The 50/75 grain brass insert, 100g or 125g broadhead, and the Iron Will 10/25g impact collar will make any combo work with the axis 260!

OP
W

waer0502

FNG
The only opinions I have heard on GrizzStik have been negative. I have no personal experience or know anyone who has either.

I am a big easton Axis fan. The 50/75 grain brass insert, 100g or 125g broadhead, and the Iron Will 10/25g impact collar will make any combo work with the axis 260!
I've seen a lot around the Axis as well. Why is that? Just that they are readily available and can do anything you need them to? They don't appear to be real fancy so there must be to them

MattB

WKR
Any opinions on GrizzlyStik?

Yes, they are reputed to have poor tolerances and to be expensive for what you actually get.

My only other advice would be to not overthink this, and it is my observation that is usually what people do when the refer to buying new arrows as a "build". 😁

rob86jeep

WKR
Easton Axis Match 260 - 28" carbon to carbon - 50 grain brass insert - 125 grain head - 4 fletch AAE max stealth with a wrap - total weight 540 grns - speed ~ 292 - FOC 12.6%.

My software says that arrow is perfectly spined to your set-up. You could lose the extra fletch and wrap tp help your FOC but it weakens your spine a bit and loses weight. If I had your set-up I would use the wrap and 4 fletch to get that total weight and stiffer spine.

Add a 125 grain iron will with a titanium impact collar (10 grains) and you will have the perfect set-up. The impact collar will bump your total weight to 550 and ever so slightly weaken your spine, should be good though.
What are your bow specs to be shooting a 540 grain arrow at 292 fps? I'm shooting VXR 31.5 set at 70lbs and 28" draw with a 530 grain arrow and it's only going 260 fps...

Jimbob

WKR
I've seen a lot around the Axis as well. Why is that? Just that they are readily available and can do anything you need them to? They don't appear to be real fancy so there must be to them

Arrows don’t have to be fancy. The axis have great tolerances and are durable, what else is needed?

Listen to the rokcast with Bill owner of iron will, he talks about arrow setup and discusses Ashby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a similar setup, slightly shorter but heavier draw. I struggled a little with 260 axis. They were slightly underspined with 125 plus 50 brass. I’m shooting gold tip kinetic 200s now. They tune out much better. I wish they were a little straighter, but man are they tough!!!

OP
W

waer0502

FNG
I bit the RanchFairy test kit lure... should arrive tomorrow. I am going to go that route and see what the bow likes :)

Good tolerances, durable, not too heavy or too light, avoid dicking around with outserts or being limited to deep 6 threads, still thinner than a standard diameter arrow, and easton makes em.

OP
W

waer0502

FNG
I have a similar setup, slightly shorter but heavier draw. I struggled a little with 260 axis. They were slightly underspined with 125 plus 50 brass. I’m shooting gold tip kinetic 200s now. They tune out much better. I wish they were a little straighter, but man are they tough!!!
I appreciate it! Thanks for the input!