New Arrow Build

Currently shooting Day Six 250 spines with 50gr centric outserts. 100gr broadheads. Total arrow weight is about 565 grains.

Thinking of building an Easton Axis 260 spine. Iron will components. Adding 35 grains up front. Should put me close to 515 if my math is right.

Out of my Carbon Spyder Turbo 30/72lbs should be smoking.. think I will enjoy the smaller pin gaps. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I shot the Axis 260 with 50 grain brass insert 30 grn steel Ethics collar and 100 gran titanium sevr coming out of a Mathews vertix at 75lbs and 29". It did the trick.

This year I'm dropping the to 70 lbs draw and going with axis 300 and 125 sevr.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Out of my Carbon Spyder Turbo 30/72lbs should be smoking.. think I will enjoy the smaller pin gaps. Thoughts?
I like my larger pin gaps. Pins close together are kind of a pain. That's why I always shoot for that 285ish speed range regardless what I'm shooting........that way I don't have to adjust my 7 pins very often even if I switch up bows.

Zac

WKR
This build seems totally unnecessary to me unless you simply want to play around. I've had builds that tuned perfectly then messed them up experimenting with other shafts.

Dennis

WKR
I am going back to a heavier set up this year. Trying Victory VAP TKO 300 spine, 50 grain insert/outsert with 200 grain single bevel broadhead with feathers. Should be close to 550 grains with 21% FOC. Shooting 63 lbs. at 29". Bare shaft testing will begin in the next few weeks.

OP
silasbowhunter
I like my larger pin gaps. Pins close together are kind of a pain. That's why I always shoot for that 285ish speed range regardless what I'm shooting........that way I don't have to adjust my 7 pins very often even if I switch up bows.

Wanna say it was shooting about 276. I just want em a little closer. Might back off my draw weight a touch too to keep around that 285

OP
silasbowhunter
If it tunes , it should be a able to pass through most midsize sedans.

Funny you say that.. with my day six setup, I missed my target that was along the side of an old school bus. Shot all the way through the side and stuck in the other side of the aisle

OP
silasbowhunter
This build seems totally unnecessary to me unless you simply want to play around. I've had builds that tuned perfectly then messed them up experimenting with other shafts.

I do just wanna play around. Go a little lighter, little less gap for spot and stalk, still should be extremely deadly if it hits anything haha

nphunter

WKR
I agree with 5MB, I like to be at or just above 280fps. With my CST at 28" I was shooting a 490gr arrow right at 280fps, I would imagine you would be just under 300fps at 30". If your shooting fixed heads they can get very hard to tune at high speeds and longer distances, not impossible but much harder. If your shooting expandables then speed doesn't matter much and you will be good.

Small pin gaps are great and fun but fighting broadhead flight is a PITA. I loved my flat trajectory for 3D and did notice my scores dropping after slowing down 30fps but my fixed broadheads are much easier to get to fly now.

OP
silasbowhunter
I agree with 5MB, I like to be at or just above 280fps. With my CST at 28" I was shooting a 490gr arrow right at 280fps, I would imagine you would be just under 300fps at 30". If your shooting fixed heads they can get very hard to tune at high speeds and longer distances, not impossible but much harder. If your shooting expandables then speed doesn't matter much and you will be good.

Small pin gaps are great and fun but fighting broadhead flight is a PITA. I loved my flat trajectory for 3D and did notice my scores dropping after slowing down 30fps but my fixed broadheads are much easier to get to fly now.

Yeah when I short a Monster MR6 I had trouble tuning my broadheads at 310fps.. backed it down to about 290 and it was night and day.

Good call on the speed though!

Thoughts on the best 204 arrow? Easton Axis or Black Eagle Rampage?

nphunter

WKR
Yeah when I short a Monster MR6 I had trouble tuning my broadheads at 310fps.. backed it down to about 290 and it was night and day.

Good call on the speed though!

Thoughts on the best 204 arrow? Easton Axis or Black Eagle Rampage?

RIP TKO is the best I’ve used. Way better than the axis, much more durable and lighter gpi. I’m shooting a 300 spine with 125gr IW insert/collar and a 100gr head. Right at 500gr with over 20% FOC.

Last edited:
OP
silasbowhunter
RIP TKO is the best I’ve used. Way better than the axis, much more durable and lighter gpi. I’m shooting a 300 spine with 125gr IW insert/collar and a 100gr head. Right at 500gr with over 20% FOC.

I’ll check em out! Kind of forgot about the victories!

dkime

WKR
I dont think you'll see much of a difference in your pin gaps between either setup. Your 250s are plenty stiff enough based on your bow and DL (Dunno what your arrows were cut at?) But being blessed with a longer DL your bow is gonna be super efficient with any setup you shoot. I just wouldn't put a ton of eggs in the smaller pin gap basket between the two setups. The POI shift between those two setups at your setup probably falls within the margin of group error.

Reactions: Zac

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
How do u guys get speed like that?? Man I wish I had longer arms. 27.5 draw length bowtech reallm x 70 lbs. 465 gr arrow at like 260fps. Thinking of dropping to 445 gr on my next build

MT257

WKR
I’m looking into the RIP TKO this year. Are you able to use standard fp and bh or do you need special heads? I’m currently at 28”dl with 70 vxr 31.5. Would you recommend the 350 or 300? I was possibly looking at using a 50 or 75 gr brass hit insert. I’ve only ever used axis and fmj and know very little about the victory line.

OP
silasbowhunter
I dont think you'll see much of a difference in your pin gaps between either setup. Your 250s are plenty stiff enough based on your bow and DL (Dunno what your arrows were cut at?) But being blessed with a longer DL your bow is gonna be super efficient with any setup you shoot. I just wouldn't put a ton of eggs in the smaller pin gap basket between the two setups. The POI shift between those two setups at your setup probably falls within the margin of group error.

My Day Six’s are like 30.5” overall length. Plenty long, plenty stiff, but tuned amazing.

paxamus

WKR

Where are you getting your RIP TKOs? I am looking to put some together

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
What you are thinking of building is exactly what I have been using and out of a Hoyt Turbo as well. Love the set up and at 29"- 72.5# with the Injexion/Ironwill arrow @515 I was seeing 275fps.

chasewright15

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you getting your RIP TKOs? I am looking to put some together

Great question. I've always wanted to shoot RIP TKO's but no dealer around me and can't find 250's online anywhere. I wish victory had the black eagle model where you can order directly from them any time any arrow.