New Arrow set-up

So I have been shooting the BEA deep impacts for around 2 years or so and taken plenty of game down under with them and were very happy with the results. But, as seems to be a common trend with the skinny shafts, after a while the arrows that I was shooting would simply not hit right. Now I am no professional archer, but I am good enough to be able to call my misses at 40m and further but some arrows I can't put inside a 18" circle at 40m which is crazy. So i checked all my outserts and sure enough a heap of them are bent/misaligned which explains why I am hitting off so I ordered new outserts to put on. However, after having a heap of trouble trying to get outsets aligned on the shafts I am just looking to go back to a .204ID shaft or even a standard size shaft such as a BEA Zombie Slayer or Gold Tip hunter xt. I have been going around in circles for the last few days about what is currently accessible (I have not long moved to Europe so selection is limited) and what is cost effective (You get hammered with taxes on everything here). Firstly bow specs are, Impulse 34, 28"DL, 72lb, 300 spine Deep Impacts C2C 26.125" plus the outsert, 100gr van Dieman, 4" wrap with 4 Max Hunters with 3 degree helical (475gr).

Questions are;
1. Do you notice a significant difference in the straightness of the arrows from a .001 shaft to a .003 shaft? I have been shooting the DI in a .003 straightness but with the BEA The straightness is apparently over the entire length of the shaft not the best 28" like gold tip and the like. I figured once I cut them down to 26" or so all the bad bits are gone. Are BEA legitimately straighter than Gold Tips or is it just a sales pitch?
2. Is there a .204ID shaft out there that isn't going to break the bank and has a good heavy insert system? I don't want to have to screw around with weight systems and what not.
3. Would Gold Tip hunter xt's be capable of shooting 4-5" group at 50m provided I put the work in during the arrow building/tuning process?

I guess I don't want to spend money on 1dz arrows that after all is said and done I get 8 or 9 usable ones that I can hunt with.

[QUOTE="Aussie-bowman, post: 1689001, member: 11115"
Questions are;
1. Do you notice a significant difference in the straightness of the arrows from a .001 shaft to a .003 shaft? I have been shooting the DI in a .003 straightness but with the BEA The straightness is apparently over the entire length of the shaft not the best 28" like gold tip and the like. I figured once I cut them down to 26" or so all the bad bits are gone. Are BEA legitimately straighter than Gold Tips or is it just a sales pitch?
2. Is there a .204ID shaft out there that isn't going to break the bank and has a good heavy insert system? I don't want to have to screw around with weight systems and what not.
3. Would Gold Tip hunter xt's be capable of shooting 4-5" group at 50m provided I put the work in during the arrow building/tuning process?

I guess I don't want to spend money on 1dz arrows that after all is said and done I get 8 or 9 usable ones that I can hunt with.[/QUOTE]

1. I use Gold Tip, but I don’t think you run into much of a quality difference from any of the major companies that are pushing .003 or better straightness at your arrow length. I’ve been shooting a 28-5/8” GT Pro Hunter (.001) and a few XTs mixed in there that I had accumulated over a few years. I switched to the .001 mostly because I didn’t have my own saw at first to cut from both ends. All of my culls were XTs. I think I could build them better now that I have a saw.

2. I’m switching to the GT Airstrike for this year. They offer a stainless insert that runs almost 75 grains. Unless I’m mistaken, there are some 50 grain inserts out there from several companies: Easton, Iron Will, Ethics Archery, etc. I like the option of using FACT weight to make slight adjustments. I added 10 grains on my Pro/XT Hunters.

3. The XT’s I have shoot that type of group with my Pros however, they are .246 ID. I think all .204 are more expensive than the XTs. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot 27” GT Hunter XTs. I’m about to build a set for my cousin at about 27”-28”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, you are seeing the flaw with the skinny shaft system- the outserts. Everyone I know has tried them...and then abandoned them.

I think most of the 5mm and 6mm carbon arrow systems now are pretty darn good. If you can shoot a sub 3" group at 50 yds, consistently...then yes you might see a slight difference between .001 and .003 straightness.

Typically the problems I've seen with carbons isn't straightness...but spine inconsistency. The GT's used to be poor...but now I think they are all pretty good.

Spine inconsistency can be dealt with; number you arrows and when you find one that is bad, rotate the knock until it shoots with the rest.

_____

Zac

WKR
Yes I do believe BE has the straightest shafts around, and yes I have found that with fixed blades you will see a difference between .001 and .003. I shot fixed blades through paper at varying ranges and I found my straightest arrow always produced the best hole. If you shoot a mech this would probably not matter near as much. The only two serviceable component systems in .204 are going to be the BE Focus system and the Iron Will collar and HIT insert system. IF you do not want to mess with this I would totally suggest going to a .246 shaft. GoldTip now makes their Hunter line in a .001 model. Easton also has the 6.5 Bowhunter line up. I believe Sirius also offers a full diameter option. I believe most people will end up settling on a .204, definitely think the micros are going out of style.

OP
Aussie-bowman
Thanks for the feedback guys. So far I have narrowed it down to two shafts that I want to run.

1. BEA ZombieSlayer with 100gr insert. All done up it will come in around 490gr.
2. BEA Spartan with Stainless steel insert and 50gr weight. Total arrow weight will come in around the 470gr.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Zac

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. So far I have narrowed it down to two shafts that I want to run.

1. BEA ZombieSlayer with 100gr insert. All done up it will come in around 490gr.
2. BEA Spartan with Stainless steel insert and 50gr weight. Total arrow weight will come in around the 470gr.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!
The Spartan is a really odd shaft. I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone else using a .224 ID. I guess you'd be stuck with BE inserts in that case.

OP
Aussie-bowman
The Spartan is a really odd shaft. I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone else using a .224 ID. I guess you'd be stuck with BE inserts in that case.
That is true, however and I know I said I didn't want to use weights, I am going to use a 50gr weight on the insert and I should come out pretty close to the weight as my deep impacts that I am using now.