New arrow setup recommendations.

Jarom974

FNG
I'm wanting to Try some new hunting(elk&muleys) arrows and broadheads this year. Any recommendations? I have been shooting beman w/slick trick broadheads last few yrs and I'm not crazy about em. Looking at going with the g5 montec for a broadhead. Kinda up in the air on arrows so let me know what you think. And also cheapest place to order em. I can fletch and build myself.
Thanks

Bowtech destroyer340 70#
27 5/8 inch arrows

B

bearguide

i have shot the g5 montec for bears, they work great, but herd to sharpen. they are super strong. i am shooting shuttle t b/c they have .040 thick blades and are sharp without sharpening

weaver

WKR
Am shooting gold tip arrows and slick trick bhs. Nothing fancy but it works. What dont you like about the slick tricks?

OR Archer

WKR
Easton Axis is probably the best all around arrow in my opinion. Great consistency from shaft to shaft in both weight and straightness. Accuracy is great and they are also very very durable. For your set up I'd recommend a 340 spined shaft.

For broadheads I'm a fan of the Montec Carbon Steels, NAP Thunderhead Edge, and Shuttle Ts. I've not had any experience with the Slick Tricks. We just started to carry them and have had very positive reviews from our customers on them.

Gold tip kinetic in a 340 spine tipped with any good quality broadhead will do the trick. I shoot the shuttle t lock heads on my kinetic xt 300 spines out of my 80lb athens and they fly like darts.

OP
J

Jarom974

FNG
Easton Axis is probably the best all around arrow in my opinion. Great consistency from shaft to shaft in both weight and straightness. Accuracy is great and they are also very very durable. For your set up I'd recommend a 340 spined shaft.

For broadheads I'm a fan of the Montec Carbon Steels, NAP Thunderhead Edge, and Shuttle Ts. I've not had any experience with the Slick Tricks. We just started to carry them and have had very positive reviews from our customers on them.

I have shot Easton axis in the past and am leaning toward that at the moment. Thanks for your expertise.

OP
J

Jarom974

FNG
Am shooting gold tip arrows and slick trick bhs. Nothing fancy but it works. What dont you like about the slick tricks?

Nothing imperticular about the slick tricks. I would just like to try something different. I haven't had the best blood trails on the last couple animals I've killed although theyve done the job. Blood trail could be as much shot placement as anything.

OP
J

Jarom974

FNG
Wow thanks guys. Where do you find the best deals on arrows and arrow building supplies.

mtbshark

WKR
As of late I have grown real fond of the Black Eagle rampage arrows and the trophy taker T line of heads are a great choise

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm a Gold Tip fan...Hard to beat the good old ProHunters from them but they might not be heavy enough for you if your trying to build a really heavy arrow...I'm shooting the GoldTip Velocity 300's this year and with a 125gr head they finish out at 404grs.
As far as fixed blade heads Shuttle T's are pretty dang hard to beat I think.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Another Gold Tip guy here. Been shooting them for a long time. I would look at the Pro or XT Hunters in 7595. If you are looking at the Montec I suggest you check out the VPA 3 Blade heads. They look similar to the Montec, but are machined out of a solid piece of steel rather than cast like the Montec. I have shot them several years now and had good results. www.vparchery.com

I have been running Axis since they came out. I liked the original ones best (orange and green graphics) but they quit making them and went to the HIT system which lightened them up a tad. I like the weight of the FMJs but they bend, which I don't like. Now I am running carbon Injexions with Big Nasty broadheads and absolutely love them. No kills yet though. Still unkinking my bow. I think it is hard to beat the current carbon Axis arrows though.

All things being equal a narrower diameter shaft will penetrate better than a thicker shaft. For this reason I have shot the Easton Axis. Tough as nails and fly like darts. However I have started looking at Victory Archerys "VAP" (Victory Armor Piercing) line. They have an even narrower shaft and with them you can get a higher FOC while staying within that golden 6.5-6.7 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight ( the ball park at which you will get the most penetration from your bow.).

So for this reason I might start using the VAPs after this year. Smaller diameter with a higher FOC should increase my penetration a bit.

Gold Tip Kinetic fan here. I love the FMJ's for stand hunting back east, but after moving out west I decided that carrying around a quiver full of aluminum arrows was a disaster waiting to happen in that they can bend. The Kinetics are nice and heavy but yet very small diameter shafts.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
FMJ's and G5 strikers! Strikers are supper sharp and durable when shot into big bones. This set up fly's like filed points for me out to 60 yds.

trkyslr

WKR
I'm an axis guy as well!!! They perform great on animals I've shot them with. In shooting the black ops shuttle t's this year as they fly amazing, very sharp and tough. If you're wanting an all one piece head I'd go with a vpa over a montec as it's sharper and tougher imo

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don't switch to Montec... The slick tricks are good. If you want to shoot a G5 broadhead, use the stryker - they are excellent and infinitely sharper than the Montec. I've killed a ton of stuff with strykers and they shoot good.

I would use Easton Axis carbon or Axis FMJs