New arrows...need advice

rhendrix

WKR
Rather than selling my bow, I figure I'll just change my arrow setup so that I can get a flatter shooting arrow. I already have some arrows in mind, but I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice. Here's my set up:

Fuel Cam and 1/2
28.5" DL16
70# DW

Always shot a .340 spine Easton Axis N-Fused ST at 29", and they weight right in at 430 grains with a 100 grain tip. I wanna find an arrow that weighs around 385-390ish total, my only concern is if that is heavy enough to resist wind drift and get good penetration on elk, I could always use my old arrows for elk, but I'd rather not have to constantly change out sight tapes or adjust pin gaps.

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Your KE is still going to be pushing 80 ft/lbs. I would think you would be fine for elk with that arrow. Maybe try and find something a little smaller diameter to help with wind.

bobhunts

WKR
If you want a little flatter shooting loose enough weight to get right at 400 grains. It changed my shooting alot and got a pass through this year. Heavy enough but not too heavy. Bob.

OR Archer

WKR
Stick with what you have. That's a great set up. The flatter trajectory is going to be very minimal. The heavier arrow is going to penetrate better down range than a lighter arrow.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
OR, You don't think I'd shoot flatter shooting 300 fps vs 270ish? I get the whole momentum argument, I just don't wanna have to severely compensate on steep uphill or downhill shots.

I wish there was a piece of software that would allow you to see flight paths of arrows given certain variables, like you can do with a ballistics sheet.

FWIW I shoot a 390 grain arrow at 318 fps and hit shoulder this year on my bull at 65 yards and the arrow went completely through to the other shoulder. It wasn't full on dead center shoulder, but you can see the entrance here. Was dead in 60 yards and he died hard.

Mike

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358222919779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358222919779.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 40
Maybe I missed it in a later post but which bow are you running the Fuels on?

Based on the info that I saw:

I would look into a Gold Tip Pro 7595 OR Velocity Pro 340 (even the 300 would be ok).

Axis 340 (9.5 gpi) I would be running it at 27.5" (262 grs rounded up), X nock ( 9 gr ), HIT insert ( 16 ), 100 gr head, 4" wrap ( 5 ), 3 2.1" Fusion ( 21 ) = 413 gr

you could drop the wrap and use Blazers instead of Fusion and save 5 grs. That gets us more into the 402-403 gr PLUS a stiffer arrow (because we are shorter) and you might even be able to shave a little more length.

Lukem

WKR
You wouldn't gain 30 fps by only dropping 40 grains, you'd get less than 15. The typical rule is 1fps per 3 grains. It can vary a little. Also, is there a reason that you are cutting the arrows at 29"? At that length and draw weight, I'd think 340's would be a little weak. I shot the GT 7595 out of my AM32 at 62#, with them cut at 28" and that tuned just about right on OT2. I use the same arrows for my Answer. I'd cut your arrows down a little, gain a little stiffness and lose a little weight and call it good. If you're wanting to make a change, the GTs are good tough arrows.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
You wouldn't gain 30 fps by only dropping 40 grains, you'd get less than 15. The typical rule is 1fps per 3 grains. It can vary a little. Also, is there a reason that you are cutting the arrows at 29"? At that length and draw weight, I'd think 340's would be a little weak. I shot the GT 7595 out of my AM32 at 62#, with them cut at 28" and that tuned just about right on OT2. I use the same arrows for my Answer. I'd cut your arrows down a little, gain a little stiffness and lose a little weight and call it good. If you're wanting to make a change, the GTs are good tough arrows.

Exactly. about 1 fps per 3 grains. That will change your POI very little. Maybe an inch at 20 yds and pins will barely move even at the longer distance. I'd stick with what you have. If you really want to increase the speed, add another 3-4" to your DL. ;)

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Evan, I've got a 2011 carbon element. I'm running Easton tracer nocks as well, which are 26 grains.

Thanks for the input. I'll try cutting it down to 28 and taking off the wraps, probably gonna run a regular x nock as well.

OR Archer

WKR
Aren't lighted nocks illegal in Co still? By dumping those you are already shaving 12 grains off your total arrow weight and creating better FOC. Not by much but a little bit is still good.

I wouldn't cut them down quite that short. 1/2" would suffice and drop off another 5 grains of arrow weight and put you in the 415 gr range. I think that arrow weight is a perfect balance of speed and weight for hunting.