New Arrows - Questions

goetzc

FNG
I'm building up some new arrows and am looking for some input.

My primary goal is an arrow that I can use for whitetail and elk. Looking for better groups at 40-60yds and higher arrow weight and FOC. My current whitetail only arrows are grouping great out to 40 yards but I'd like to start practicing well beyond that.
I really like the Exodus broadheads and Nockturnal nocks so I'll stick with those. I also want to try the EthicsAchery inserts and FOBs. Hoping the ability to adjust both will help me tune each arrow more easily.
Note on FOBs - Once I get each arrow tuned I intend to put tiny dabs of glue on the FOB as shown by Garrett in this video to allow the nocks to stay in place and FOB fall off during a pass through.
I was told my current arrows are a little weak - likely due to my using the 125g bh instead of 100g.

Current specs-
  • Bow - 2012 Bowtech Invasion 50-60 @56lbs with 29" draw
  • Arrow - Easton Bloodline 400 @28" with 125g exodus, 3 blazers and nockturnal = 402g, FOC of 13.83%
  • Site - BlackGold Pure Driven 75 w/ 273fps site tape
  • Rest - Ripcord CodeRed

Using OnTarget2 I verified my Static spine @ .400 and Dynamic @ .376 = somewhat weak spine originally built for

New arrows specs-
I've bought a dozen bareshaft Easton Bloodline 330s, dozen EthicsArchery 50-175g adjustable inserts, a dozen FOBs, and I'll use my same Nockturnal nocks.

Using OnTarget 2 - I've adjusted and tweaked everything and landed at an arrow length of 28", with 75g insert. That should get to about 490g and 15.86% FOC.
If I up the bow to 61lbs, it'll shoot my new arrows at about 261fps with a Dynamic and Static spine of .330 each.

My questions-
  1. Would you reduce fps/speed even more by increasing TAW and FOC? Why?
  2. How important is getting the static and dynamic spine to match?
  3. What is close enough for spine?
  4. Is it better to be weaker or stiffer spined?
  5. What am I missing?

Last edited:

bignocks

FNG
not sure why your arrows wouldnt be good past 40 yards. Id suggest that you get a scale and all the parts you want and see if its close to the weight you want to shoot. Guys who really dive in on this rabbit hole tend to build multiple arrow setups and test them out. Simple ways to adjust weights is 100 vs 125 gr heads, small vs large fletch and 3 vs 4. These are all easy things you can switch up by ordering 6 arrows and build 2 of each. If you shoot well enough to see a big difference then your doing pretty good. Having a tuned bow and decent shooting ability seemed to go alot further than what Foc someone has. i generally dont see much differences in my arrow setups until Im shooting 50 yds plus as long as my bow is setup well. This is just my experience as Ive switched over from thinking that an arrow setup is going to make me an amazing shot to more wanting a tough decent weight arrow built more for pentration and lots of practice on my shooting form and practicing new releases to make me better.

Marble

WKR
Seems putting 200 up front would push you to a 300 spine.

Don't geek out on FOC, but dont ignore it either. With a 300 spine arrow you can put 175 up front and be in the 500 grain ballpark. I shoot a fairly similar set up as yours and with 200 up front it was hell tuning broadheads.

I would rather have too much spine, than not enough.

Wapiti1

WKR
1. I would see how that setup shoots. Your arrow is plenty heavy, and moving plenty fast.

2. No idea. I just use the charts and go from there.

3. Whatever tunes and shoots broadheads into nice groups. There is a range for bows that have straight nock travel.

4. My experience is stiffer tends to shoot fixed broadheads better since the arrow is bending less. It is also easier to adjust a stiff arrow than a weak arrow. You can add weight, but can only take so much off. That said, I have shot underspined setups and it worked fine.

I do add 1-2 inches to the arrow length over what I want and cut there. Then I can shorten to fine tune the flight.

Jeremy