New arrows to the market

ElkNut1

WKR
Bruce, the one 420 is a Vap & the other 420 is an Axis. The heavier arrows are the slick skinned FMJ's. The walls vary but not enough to be concerned over. If they are then we'd all best shoot VAP arrow shafts! This is a small example where there were two arrows of the same weight, with one having the heavier FOC. I have other photos where the thicker arrow penetrates the same as the skinnier arrow in two 390 grain arrows. Arrow diameters can vary a little & not effect penetration, if it were obtrusive then I'd understand. I have countless photos when I was testing to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that the heavier FOC arrows are best for penetration value where total arrow weights are the same.

Sorry for the interruption Thread Starter, carry on!

ElkNut/Paul

Elkhntr08

WKR
Forgive me, but I don’t understand why everyone gets so caught up in shaft diameter and penetration. You have a 1”+ broadhead on the end of it. As long as the shaft is smaller, what’s the effect?
Continue the highjack

jaximus

FNG
Forgive me, but I don’t understand why everyone gets so caught up in shaft diameter and penetration. You have a 1”+ broadhead on the end of it. As long as the shaft is smaller, what’s the effect?
Continue the highjack
the 'theory' ashby devised from his testing was that the taper reduced lateral friction from the shaft walls hitting the bones or tissue as it passed through a larger hole that the ferrule created. the tissue/bones natural elasticity closed up some behind the cut if the head. the idea is the taper gives a bit more 'wiggle room' for shaft deflection as it penetrates and flexes, reducing friction.

while the idea has some merits, his testing was done on static animal carcasses which lack the moving aspect of nearly all the critters we shoot. no muscle tension, no body torsion, no extra lateral forces during his test. all of which would quickly erase any tiny 'gains' he saw from the taper and place more emphasis on other aspects of arrow lethality, such as FoC or broadhead MA.