New Arrows

johnvan74

FNG
Looking to get some new arrows. I currently have Victory VAP TKO gamers 29.5" 350 spine...

Looking at the new Victory VAP SS, Black Eagle Deep Impact or Day Six. I'm looking to stay at 350 or move to 300 spine. Going Elk hunting this year so looking for good FOC which all three have. Just looking for input.

dkime

WKR
If you List the rest of your specs for your bow we can definitely get you straightened out. I’m running a D6 300 with 175 up front this year at 13% FOC for elk. I could go even higher if I upped my point weight or if I wanted to tune a SS collar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
johnvan74

johnvan74

FNG
If you List the rest of your specs for your bow we can definitely get you straightened out. I’m running a D6 300 with 175 up front this year at 13% FOC for elk. I could go even higher if I upped my point weight or if I wanted to tune a SS collar.

Prime Black 5 30.5" draw 65lbs draw weight.

dkime

WKR
You’ll struggle getting a high FOC on an arrow that is durable and tunes well at that DL. Your arrows are probably going to end up around 28” at the shortest but regardless of what your percentage end up you’ll blow through anything you point that bow at!

I ran your numbers and came up with this

Day Six 250 cut at 29”
100gr Outsert
100gr Head
3 fletch
13.83% FOC
~600gr arrow

You have room to go to a 125 head and it will bump your FOC to 15%

Regardless of either head you’ll have a badass setup and elk will fall

gleitzj

FNG
.166 ID arrows are pretty weak for elk hunting, so are the components whether it's lighted nocks or the inserts. I'd go .204. There is minimal benefit using a micro diameter shaft in my opinion. For spine, I'd always error toward stiffer. Good luck!

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely take a look at your spine. If you can stay at 300, the Deep Impacts are really great arrows. If you are going to drop to 250, take a look at the Rampage.

I am a 28.5" draw and run the Rampage 250 with a 100g collar system (BE makes one and there is the Iron Will SS 25g with a 75g HIT) and a 100g broadhead. I am at 528g on a four fletch arrow, no lighted nock, flying 271 fps.

With your draw length, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about your arrow. Probably best to stay with a .204 and not mess with day six. As DK said, if you want more FOC, you can go to a 125g and still be under 600g with the Rampage.

I personally prefer to shoot the heaviest arrow I can and still be above 260fps and below 280fps. Just have to mess with the math to get there with the bow you have.

RampartLB

FNG
I switched from Rampages to the day six 250s, I shoot a heavy setup because my elk hunting spots are deep and close quarters. The 250 day six is the same outside diameter as a rampage 300 and only a touch smaller than a rampage 250, (didn’t even have to change my tune!) which only means the wall thickness (durability) is that much more on the day six shaft. I load my front end up and shoot the SS outserts and even mess around with 200gr heads. I have never shot anything more durable than this system

Gold Tip Hunter (9.3 gpi) and Bloodsport Hunter (9.1 gpi) shafts don't cost much, and I've found them easy to build out, durable, and accurate enough. Trim to size by cutting off both ends of shaft and they will be much straighter than the specs, and shoot great. ID is .244" - .246" which is standard size for many different insert and screw-in weights. Makes building for high weight and FOC easy and affordable.

Zac

WKR
Those are all great arrows. Another one to look at in .204 is the Sirius arrows. They are supposed to be extremely durable and use Ethics components. The Focus system made by Black Eagle also looks really cool. I'd say if you want to shoot a lighted nock I'd stick with .204, otherwise .166 would work.