New arrows?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to get new arrows this year and I would like some opinions.

I will be shooting a Ross Cardiac 60# bow. I plan to use fobs and I'll be sticking with Slik Trick broad heads.

What do you guys and girls think about the Easton full metal jacket arrows? What other arrows should I be looking at?

Thank you.

Justin, I just ordered some black eagle deep impact shafts plus nocks, vanes and outserts. .003" straightness and a full dozen cost me like $142 to my door. And they are a micro diameter shaft. Check them out.

Mike

tstowater

WKR
I'm planning on using FMJ's this year. I've been playing with Slick Tricks and G5 Strikers and both shoot quite well. I will be shooting 70lbs.+/-. My guess is that there are "better" arrows out there and really comes down to how much you want to pay. I am not an archery expert at all, but the performance of the FMJ"s does exceed my abilities. As you well know, part of the deal comes down to how much you want your finished arrow to weigh and whether you want to mess with FOC, etc.

Slim Jim

WKR
I shoot gold tip pro hunters with .001 straightness. They shoot very well out of my 62# bow at 283fps. Arrow opinions are going to be like different bow opinions. If the arrows you decide to shoot give you tight groups then your good.

Reviews on the Black Eagle arrows and the testing I have done on a dozen was less than desireable...

Stick with Gold Tip arrows and you will be fine. If you like the FMJ's, try the Gold Tip Kinetics... They are carbon and won't bend if you happen to take a fall. I used FMJ's back east for hunting out of stands and ground blinds, no way I would take them on a backpack style hunt, but that is just me...

Toneloc

FNG
There are a lot of followers for the FMJ's, but I am not a big fan. I found them to bend and take a set at-least as easily a regular aluminum arrow and in my opinion, easier than a regular aluminum arrow. I've found them to much less durable than their straight carbon counterparts.

From my experience, if you miss the target or shoot an animal with a carbon arrow, you have a pretty decent chance at recovering that arrow unharmed. I've had very poor success rate with FMJ's surviving shots into the ground/animals.

Having said that, the positives are that they are straight & accurate, they weigh a little heavier (better KE and quieter at the shot), and I like fletching on aluminum better. IMO the durability tradeoff is too great and I have gone back to straight carbon arrows.

Reviews on the Black Eagle arrows and the testing I have done on a dozen was less than desireable...

Stick with Gold Tip arrows and you will be fine. If you like the FMJ's, try the Gold Tip Kinetics... They are carbon and won't bend if you happen to take a fall. I used FMJ's back east for hunting out of stands and ground blinds, no way I would take them on a backpack style hunt, but that is just me...

Got any more specifics on the negative testing and reviews of the black eagle arrows? Most of what I read was extremely positive...

Mike

Mike, most of what I read and have been reading (in the past day on Facebook--from their page only) has been positive as well. Elsewhere, not so much.

I was given a dozen arrows to try out and after about 100 shots or so I could see cracking in the carbon. I gave them back and haven't tried any more since. Also, I didn't find them to be as accurate as what I am currently shooting but didn't really give them a chance once I saw the cracks. The guy who was going to sell them no longer wants anything to do with them as well.

I just don't understand why people try all these other brands... Not so much try, but actually put their tags and seasons on the line with them when there are such better and proven options on the market... Easton, Gold Tip and CE... That's about all I would trust my hunting/3D on... That's just me though.

Sorry for the rant.

Mike, most of what I read and have been reading (in the past day on Facebook--from their page only) has been positive as well. Elsewhere, not so much.

I was given a dozen arrows to try out and after about 100 shots or so I could see cracking in the carbon. I gave them back and haven't tried any more since. Also, I didn't find them to be as accurate as what I am currently shooting but didn't really give them a chance once I saw the cracks. The guy who was going to sell them no longer wants anything to do with them as well.

I just don't understand why people try all these other brands... Not so much try, but actually put their tags and seasons on the line with them when there are such better and proven options on the market... Easton, Gold Tip and CE... That's about all I would trust my hunting/3D on... That's just me though.

Sorry for the rant.

Not a rant at all Nick I appreciate the info and will keep an eye out for material integrity when I get them setup!

I can understand your concern on trusting a tag to a new arrow brand, but that's why I plan to have a few hundred shots (Usually try to shoot between 25-30 arrows a day from here to Sept 1 during the week) with them before hunting with them. And they provided a way to get into a micro diameter shaft (I was originally looking at the VAP's by Victory) for a non-rediculous amount of $$$. I'll post up my findings on them but I don't blame you for having a bad opinion on them. You had a bad experience personally which is better than 80% of the bad opinions on the internet nowadays...

Mike

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider

Sorry for the rant.

I have a lot more than 100 shots through my Black Eagle Carnivores. Hunting season last year, then fall league, winter league, and currently 3d league as well as local shoots around the area.
I inspect my arrows every time I shoot and have seen zero evidence of any failure. Sorry but I don't buy it, not saying you didn't get a bad batch, I'm sure it could happen but I would need to see the evidence (I'm sure BE would like to see them as well).
I used to shoot FMJ's and have always heard that they take a bend etc, I never saw any evidence of that either when I used them and I shot them for 3 seasons.

So to answer the OP's question. FMJ's are great arrows, you would be very happy with them. If I were to steer you in another direction it would be Black Eagle then Gold Tip.

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm very happy with the Victory VAP so far, they tune and fly great. And with the 92gr SS outserts I was able to get them to weigh in the ball park of what I wanted and increase the FOC...But you can't use FOBs with VAPs as far as I know.

I have shot Black Eagle Arrow for a while now.. I have YET to have any issues.. They have performed flawlessly. I don't plan on shooting any other arrow anytime soon. I personally have shot about all of them. I am a very satisfied!!!

Sunspot

WKR
I always go back to ACC's. What ever happened to the Harvest Time arrows? The spec'd great for an all-carbon when first arriving on the scene.

J-Daddy

WKR
I always go back to ACC's. What ever happened to the Harvest Time arrows? The spec'd great for an all-carbon when first arriving on the scene.

Muddy Treestands bought them out, they are now Bloodsport arrows. I shot the HT-2's back then and they were some dang good shooting arrows. When Muddy bought them they called me about being a dealer for them, then they sent me their price lists and I never called back....Their prices were as high if not higher than Easton & Gold Tip, no way I was selling them as high as they were...Couple months later one of their guys called me again and I told him I wasn't interested until they dropped their prices back down...If a guy is gonna have to pay $120 or more a dozen he's gonna chose a company he's actually heard of before most of the time.

Sunspot

WKR
Muddy Treestands bought them out, they are now Bloodsport arrows. I shot the HT-2's back then and they were some dang good shooting arrows. When Muddy bought them they called me about being a dealer for them, then they sent me their price lists and I never called back....Their prices were as high if not higher than Easton & Gold Tip, no way I was selling them as high as they were...Couple months later one of their guys called me again and I told him I wasn't interested until they dropped their prices back down...If a guy is gonna have to pay $120 or more a dozen he's gonna chose a company he's actually heard of before most of the time.

That's a shame because the were VERY consistent and I liked them for an all-carbon. You could work some nice FOC with them.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be checking out some of the other arrows you guys suggested along with some more research on the FMJ's.

Ozz08

WKR

I'm still shooting harvest time ht2's. when muddy bought them I purchased 4 dozen of the left over original ht2 arrows from south shore archery at a pretty good discount. I won't be looking for a new arrow for a while.