New Article by Evan Williams

dotman

WKR
Great write-up, I always have a spare and replace yearly :). Just put in my order for strings made by Tom Parkinson for the new Carbon Element :)

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
dotman you won't be disappointed! Tom is a great guy to deal with (as I'm sure you already know this) and his strings are top notch! + he's known as one of the best Hoyt guys out there, I'll for sure be making another trip to see Tom whenever I get my new bow!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good article Evan.

For anyone who followed the "Mule Deer Project and then Game on", do you remember what happened to my bow a few days before the hunt?

Evan is spot-on. It had been at least a few years since I'd replaced my set and it cost me! Never again...

Nice article, Evan. Thanks! Would you recommend putting these strings and cables on a new bow, rather than the factory ones that come with it?

dotman

WKR
Nice article, Evan. Thanks! Would you recommend putting these strings and cables on a new bow, rather than the factory ones that come with it?

I'm not Evan but here is what I do. When I buy a new bow it is always in the fall and a current model just before the new stuff comes out, seem to get smokin deals this way :). I then order up a complete set of strings/cables to have on hand. I shoot the factory strings from the fall to early/mid summer of the next year. I always take care of the factory string as I would my new one since it will then become my spare. I break in the new string and make sure there are zero issues up till season. This way I have a fresh string for every season and a good backup. I continue this routine every year until I decide to upgrade my bow, then I shoot my string the few extra months without putting a new one on before I trade the bow.

Mckinnon

WKR
Good article Evan! Thanks for the info. I am looking for a new set of strings right now and I think I found them!

JasonWi

WKR
Good article, first Ive heard of the 8190x.

After reading it I ordered a new set of WC strings and cables for my 2011 Element. Going to try the new 8190x material.

OR Archer

WKR
I always tell my customers that are wanting to switch strings out on a new bow to shoot the factory set for a month or so and get them broke in then switch them out. That way you have a set that's already broke in and ready to go. Much easier to find a bow press than it is a set of strings when things go south in the field.

J-Daddy

WKR
Yep, custom strings are a great investment...John's Customs "Breathn on ArcheryTalk" does all of my strings these days...I've used strings from a lot of builders over the years "big & small" and John's have been the best I've ever put on a bow. I've been using his strings for about 5 years now and they have been great.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback!

I have had a TON of questions as to whether or not I replace my factory strings and cables and when I do it. So here goes:

Typically I order a custom set within the same week of placing my bow order so I have a custom set waiting when the new bow comes in then I shoot in the factory strings and cables for a week (approximately 500 arrows or so) and then swap.

As you all know I am a fan of my Hoyt bows because they are what works for me and this year Fuse is still building their strings and cables BUT they are using the 8190X materials so I will be putting them through a few thousand arrows. I want to really give them some time probably through May and the Spring Turkey season for sure and let people know what I think.

All the new 2013 Elite bows are coming FACTORY with Winner's Choice 8190X!!!

PSE Pro SERIES are all using Americas Best (I have used them every year since 2010) and love them great guys to work with and they will have their hands on 8190X this year as well!!

Mathews is still making their strings and cables in house as well and I know that they made some improvements for the 2012 Helim and I have to honestly say that I don't know as much about them I should considering.

So on a high end bow I wouldn't JUMP to replace your strings and cables UNLESS you want specific colors but on all mid-lines YES!! I will suggest that you replace them at least a month (or TWO) before hunting season. This is for a few reasons:

1 -- You have a back up set that is shot in and ready to go IF something happens
2 -- You have time to shoot in and build your set-up back up with a new set
3 -- The shop/builders have time to build and get them to you w/o you being in a "RUSH"