New Article on the Zen Ray Primes

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Matt, did you get a chance to run these against the Meopta's?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I did not have them at the same time. I currently have the Meostar HDs, and they are quickly winning me over.

The Zens are about $400 cheaper than the Meoptas, though, and really are tops in their price range, IMO.

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for the review.

I had sent you a PM about them and the Alpen's regarding last light a while back.
How did you go about setting the diopter on the zens? Should you have to re-adjust it at different distances and different lighting (ie daytime and dusk)?

I have mine set by looking at a fruit on a cactus tree about 40 yards from my house. When hunting and glassing it appears to be good, but when I glass long distances things are not as clear and at last light I still cannot get things clear, the image is bright just not clear on the edges of the images.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There is a Real Estate sign with letters about an inch tall about 100 yards from my house. I use the sign to set the diopter. I did not notice any difference in low light or distant glassing and the diopter setting. Once I had it set, I left it.

Additionally, as far as I know, there shouldn't be a difference. What you are seeing could be a problem with your particular binocular, or your visual acuity.

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks BB.

It could be my vision, just not sure. I do wear glasses. I did re-compare the binos with the Alpens and got the same result and used that to elimate my vision being the issue. I will play around with it again and see if I can't get it really dialed in.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying you do not experience the same problems with the Alpens?

If that is the case, then the Zen is likely defective. The Primes I looked at had very high levels of resolution.

One thing that helps get a diopter set is to remove the other variables by putting the binocular on a tripod. Also make sure you aren't looking through a window when setting the diopter.

Another thing to consider if you have a sharp high resolution image on things close, but not far away, is the atmospheric disturbance. Mirage can interfere with an image, and that interference increases with distance. However, both binoculars should be similarly affected.

JNDEER

WKR
Are you saying you do not experience the same problems with the Alpens?

If that is the case, then the Zen is likely defective. The Primes I looked at had very high levels of resolution.

One thing that helps get a diopter set is to remove the other variables by putting the binocular on a tripod. Also make sure you aren't looking through a window when setting the diopter.

Another thing to consider if you have a sharp high resolution image on things close, but not far away, is the atmospheric disturbance. Mirage can interfere with an image, and that interference increases with distance. However, both binoculars should be similarly affected.

That is correct, I did not/do not experience it with the Alpens.

I set it while outside and holding the binos and it was a clear day. I will try and set it while having them mounted on a tripod and see if that makes a difference. The first pair on Zens I had seemed more crisp (but had dust inside the lens and were sent back), the new pair I got and have been useing for a while at first seemed fine, but things lately have seemed less crisp the more I think about it and then comparing them to the Alps is when I noticed the huge difference.

Would there be a way to tell for sure if they are off or defective?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That is correct, I did not/do not experience it with the Alpens.

I set it while outside and holding the binos and it was a clear day. I will try and set it while having them mounted on a tripod and see if that makes a difference. The first pair on Zens I had seemed more crisp (but had dust inside the lens and were sent back), the new pair I got and have been useing for a while at first seemed fine, but things lately have seemed less crisp the more I think about it and then comparing them to the Alps is when I noticed the huge difference.

Would there be a way to tell for sure if they are off or defective?

It sounds like it could be a defect. I would call Zen Ray, and speak to them about it. It would definitely stink if you got two lemons in a row. FWIW, I have heard similar stories involving products from just about every optics company, including the "alphas."

I can assure you, there were no such problems with the unit I evaluated. I am sure some other Prime owners can chime in with their experiences as well.

Zen Ray has the instruments to test the binocular. However, if you are extremely technically minded, you could star test the binocular like an astronomical telescope.

I would just send it in. In the mean time you can just use the Alpens, as you seem to have found a good unit in that model!

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for the advice BB.

I will probably have to send them back after I get back from AZ. The Alpens are my uncles and my backup pair, Razors, were sent back for repair after my latest pig hunt. Soo, I will just have to use them for the time being and give them a call when I get back.

I am not too worried about the "two lemons" part. Stuff happends, but after what both pairs seen with the amount of abuse I put them through and held up fine, I know the quality is there.

Last edited: