New Article: Top 10 Glassing Mistakes

TradTony

FNG
10 Glassing mistakes? What happened to number 11? Not having quality optics. I know not all of us can afford Swarovski, Zeiss or Leicas but in my experience buying even $100 optics don't work out by the following year. I am a big fanatic on hunting with my eyes more than my feet. Buying new optics year in and year out adds up. If you're gonna spend $150-$250 on "decent" set of eyes might as well spend $500+/-. Vortex makes some binos that are up there in quality with the top names. From $150-over $1000. If you're gonna spend 1G might as well go with the top dogs. But a cheap pair will have you miss out on a lot features, especially on those wet days, might as well buy a new pair because more often than not they will not be water/ fog proof. Some field glasses are great at a great price that aren't top name brands but I recommend you shop and field test before committing.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Robby, Great write up, full of fundamentals that make complete sense, yet I know I neglect many of them. One thing I'm guilty of is glassing too far when I should be glassing closer. I love to reach out and find stuff on a distant hillside--miles away. I also think you make a great point about staying in practice during the "off season". I'm convinced that effective glassing is as much an acquired skill as learning to hit a fastball.

Love the pic with you and that buck at the end of the article. Again well done.

kcm2

WKR
No. 12. Not starting by glassing close. Once in a while you'll glass at rifle range and beyond, when there's a good buck sitting 50 yards away from where you stopped. And eventually, he's watching you right before he busts out. Look close first, then move out.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
No. 12. Not starting by glassing close. Once in a while you'll glass at rifle range and beyond, when there's a good buck sitting 50 yards away from where you stopped. And eventually, he's watching you right before he busts out. Look close first, then move out.

kcm2, I think I covered that in #8, Glassing to far?