New Ashby reports on broad heads. Iron Will included

I just wish there was more background on these results.

My 500g-525g arrow, 30” draw, 70# bow blows through elk and deer rib cages like butter. If I hit the shoulder, I’m screwed (knuckle, not the scap). Even if I bump up to 600-650 grains, am I going to bust through that knuckle? Maybe…probably not tho.

My arrow FPS is in the mid-high 270s right now, I shoot fixed blades great and still have good trajectory.

What else can you ask for?

Shit happens and sometimes you hit that knuckle, but I’m not sacrificing everything I just mentioned to just be able to POTENTIALLY bust through a knuckle. I’d rather shoot a good mid-weight arrow like a sniper and have better odds and making a great shot.

Everything in moderation.
BS

MattB

WKR
Agree completely. Also, penetrating game is not the ONLY factor to consider. That's just silliness to suggest otherwise.

I want to know why they've never compared an overall heavy arrow out of a compound vs a high foc arrow. Head to head, exact weight vs exact weight.
I'd bet there's not much difference with compounds.
He says arrows staying intact is the number one penetrating factor. I wonder how many people get a lighter shaft to put a bigger head on the end and end up losing overall arrow strength which costs them in the end.
I can point cite experiences of people I know personally or posters on this forum and others who have screwed the pooch by trying to get high FOC while trying to keep total arrow weight down. They went with lighting gpi shafts (~7 going) which failed on mid-sized game. My buddy was able to get a second shot and kill an antelope after his Hexx snapped on the first shot after minimal penetration. The few other situations I am aware of resulted in lost game.

Agree completely. Also, penetrating game is not the ONLY factor to consider. That's just silliness to suggest otherwise.

I want to know why they've never compared an overall heavy arrow out of a compound vs a high foc arrow. Head to head, exact weight vs exact weight.
I'd bet there's not much difference with compounds.
He says arrows staying intact is the number one penetrating factor. I wonder how many people get a lighter shaft to put a bigger head on the end and end up losing overall arrow strength which costs them in the end.

DA-HUR HUR.. you can get full penetration if you shoot them with a field point..

*sarcasm off

yeah there has to be a happy medium somewhere because there is overwhelming evidence that would suggest you don't need high FOC to kill. The single bevel does have a cool looking wound channel though

I've kill LOTS of deer with 505g arrow and rage broadheads. But there was a reason why just about every deer I shot, would pop like a freaking balloon(literally heard pop sounds on just about every deer). I am however moving to a higher FOC arrow setup this year, but not moving to single bevel heads just yet. I'll start with Iron Will Wides first and see if I need something else to improve my odds

The application of this sort of stuff ends up producing some really goofy set ups in the layperson's quiver. I have read some of Ashby's conclusions. He basically says KE is the wrong measure for arrows since the KE equation squares velocity so it is skewed toward speed. He prefers momentum (p=MV) where mass and velocity have the same effect. I don't know, I'm not a physicist other than my semester in college.

A quick google search of momentum versus KE, it seems like momentum would be a better metric for hunters. Here's what I was reading if anyone cares. https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/16160/difference-between-momentum-and-kinetic-energy

You know what though? A lot of these things would work themselves out if people shot more. FOCs effect would become very obvious if people just shot more. We'd see what works and doesn't for our set ups. I personally prefer a fairly fast 70# bow so I can tune a 525 grain arrow well. And a 10% - 12% FOC seems to tune really well.