New backcountry Coffee option

Nice, thanks for sharing. But damn - almost $4 per cup in the field?? I'm a big fan of Dark Timber Coffee Co, high quality pourover packs and relatively inexpensive.

archp625

WKR
Nice, Thanks for sharing but that is one expensive cup of coffee. I'm going to give BRCC instant a try this year. Its a fraction of the cost and gets excellent reviews.

Haha they are 45 min from my house.
If you have ever been to Sisters you'd understand the price.
The entire town is designed as a tourist trap. All the buildings are framed old west style.
The highway goes thru town and they refuse to divert as it would reduce business.
In the summer it takes about 44min to an hour just to get thru the 4 miles of town. It backs to for 20 miles sometimes.
I hate that town. Blood pressure alway goes thru the roof.

Cusa Coffee has a bunch of different instant flavors. I've only tried the Chi so far. It was good. But idk about chi.
They will send a sample pack for the price of shipping.

TomJoad

WKR
Innovative but too much trash (and messy trash) to deal with in the backcountry. I hate Starbucks but nothing comes close to Via in terms of packability, weight and waste along with a reasonably high caliber cup.

If I’m truck camping and being luxurious I’d much rather grind fresh at that point. I use a helor combined with a cheap plastic pour over funnel, with rested beans from my shop down the street. This still leaves grounds and paper filter waste but I’m in a truck with a trash bag.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I hate Starbucks but nothing comes close to Via in terms of packability, weight and waste along with a reasonably high caliber cup.
I used to feel the same. Tried BRCC instant and both my wife and I agree that it it better than starbucks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate Starbucks but nothing comes close to Via in terms of packability, weight and waste along with a reasonably high caliber cup. QUOTE]

The Black Rifle Coffee Company instant rated better from everyone I hunted with and tired it last year. My problem was every time I wanted more it was sold out.

TomJoad

WKR
Question for the BRCC fans and sorry for the thread hijack:

Is BRCC instant brewed + dehydrated ala most instant coffee or is it actual coffee bean than has been so finely ground as to disappear during brew process ala Via? I see no info on their site regarding this.

id_jon

WKR
Only waste are the grounds and you have to use a little water to rinse it off. Makes morning glassing that much more enjoyable.

seww

WKR
Just to bring an old thread back to life, I just discovered a new, cool coffee company: https://cometeer.com/
They'll send you frozen capsules of coffee that you just drop into hot water! Easy, one capsule per cup.
They can thaw too so no big deal.

I just got my first delivery in the door, going to try them out tonight!

Dash

FNG
Once I followed Kent Rollins cowboy coffee directions, I won’t drink it any other way in backcountry. It’s way better than I thought it would be and nothing but grounds to dispose of. I was a skeptic!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I like Via. Can grab at Costco. Lightweight and small so packs easy in backpack. I am after a caffeine boost at high altitude to help with lowering my risk of altitude sickness. I otherwise am not a coffee guy much less a connoisseur.

archp625

WKR
Nice, Thanks for sharing but that is one expensive cup of coffee. I'm going to give BRCC instant a try this year. Its a fraction of the cost and gets excellent reviews.
I'm going to double back on this post since I tried it. The instant BRCC is excellent. I used two packs every morning. Wont go back to anything else.