New Backcountry Hunter- 2 Person Shelter

OP
jppedersen48
Sawtooth man even in solo this thing is awesome.
21174908d23330527b0a70f3e446ccfc.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk
Love the pictures, thanks for sharing! You standing next to it certainly helps show its size!

I'll be a little contrarian here. You've already got some good advice and I won't counter any of it. However, you MAY wish to reconsider this (quote above). One has to decide if one wants to be a true ounce-counter because it is what so many others are. I for one have, as time goes on, become more focused on my comfort. We all have to decide which areas we wish to sacrifice so that we can indulge in others. I have decided I will sacrifice elsewhere to ensure my camp/sleep comfort.

I started backpacking when I moved west in 2011. After reading forums like this to learn, I got caught up in the ounce game. Over the years I realized that some things you get more return from when they weigh a bit more. My sleep system has gone from minimalist to comfort.

My gut is telling me to get the sawtooth for this hunt and go with a more UL option in the future if I do happen to plan something solo. The weight difference to me doesn't seem like much but I'm sure those can be a backpack hunters regrettable last words. Also trying to remember there will be two of us to help split the weight up on this trip. Thank you for the insight.

This guy speaks the truth and honestly, comfort is such a subjective thing. Some guys can sleep on a .5” pad with a rolled up shirt for a pillow and get the best sleep of their life, other guys need a pillow and a cushy mattress(myself). Same thing with shelters - some guys can sleep in a coffin and be alright, others need some room... some like a lot of room.

Worst part about it is - you won’t know what works for you until you try it.

OP
jppedersen48
I started backpacking when I moved west in 2011. After reading forums like this to learn, I got caught up in the ounce game. Over the years I realized that some things you get more return from when they weigh a bit more. My sleep system has gone from minimalist to comfort.
Seems to be a pretty consistent theme among many experienced backpack hunters. Their sleep system seems to be where they don't mind a little extra weight in exchange for comfort. My goal is to just not get to carried away. Outside of the shelter, I'm looking at a Big Agnes Q-Core SLX or Deluxe 78"x25" sleeping pad and I'll most likely need a long-wide sleeping bag as well. Between a larger shelter and those two items I'm trying to justify the weight to myself and figure out where I could potentially cut weight to make up for it.

Seems to be a pretty consistent theme among many experienced backpack hunters. Their sleep system seems to be where they don't mind a little extra weight in exchange for comfort. My goal is to just not get to carried away. Outside of the shelter, I'm looking at a Big Agnes Q-Core SLX or Deluxe 78"x25" sleeping pad and I'll most likely need a long-wide sleeping bag as well. Between a larger shelter and those two items I'm trying to justify the weight to myself and figure out where I could potentially cut weight to make up for it.

Forums like this just create an illusion that you need to meet some magical numbers to hunt out west, whether it be ounces, ft lbs, or whatever. Threads about what a pack should weight and what not. With 2 people in one shelter I wouldn't worry about it a bit. You can share the weight.

Side note, I moved from WI. Baraboo.

OP
jppedersen48
Forums like this just create an illusion that you need to meet some magical numbers to hunt out west, whether it be ounces, ft lbs, or whatever. Threads about what a pack should weight and what not. With 2 people in one shelter I wouldn't worry about it a bit. You can share the weight.

Side note, I moved from WI. Baraboo.
My wife and I explored moving to Salt Lake City from Madison not to long ago. I have friends in Spanish Fork and Ogden. Most recently we were very close to moving to Bend, Oregon. She doesn't hunt but is an ultra trail runner and we both love the mountains. One of these times I'll actually get her in the truck and headed west. Devils Lake is my western hunting training spot so we know Baraboo very well.
With splitting the weight between two guys this trip I think I'm going to get a larger shelter, probably the Sawtooth at this point, but will take a look at some of the SO shelters mentioned.

I used to live just outside Devils lake. I rode my bike through the park almost every day. I miss sitting out there in my canoe catching trout.

I still own a Sawtooth and love it. It is a bit excessive for solos stuff but sure is comfortable.

I had a Megatarp. I really wish they would bring it back. I like it but didn't necessarily love the way the annex attached. I felt the zippred style would be better. But the discontinued it before I could pick one up.

The Sawtooth is pretty hard to beat, especially if you are tall or get stiff laying around when its' raining a ton. Having that stove in their is also a game changer. Keeps the spirits up and you out there longer.