New Backcountry Rifle - 6.5 vs 7mm vs .308 monolithics

Looking at picking up a Seekins Havak PH2 and am torn on the cartridge. For context, I'd like to be able to take elk and black bear, which I believe a 6.5 can do, but it's a matter of effective range, and I'd like the option to shoot out to 500, even though I don't feel comfortable shooting past 300-350 yet.

Originally I was thinking the 6.5 PRC as a great hunting round that shoots flat, but I did not really consider ammunition. I am pretty set on solid/mono bullets, the best of which seems to be the 127gr Barnes LRX. Not sure why the .264 LRX bullet is so light, but it is. Running the numbers, that bullet has the same BC as the 168gr TTSX that I shoot right around MOA in my Ruger American Predator.

With that 127gr bullet, neither the 6.5 creed nor the PRC really outperform the 168gr TTSX or 175gr LRX in .308 by a significant margin. And in a more magnum .30 cal, the LRX is offered in weights up to 212gr. In 7mm, it's offered at 168gr. Both of those have great BC and subsequently performance advantages over the 6.5s and the .308, albeit at the cost of recoil. That leaves the 7mm RM, 300 WM, and 300 PRC for available chamberings for the Havak PH2. Is there any disadvantage to belted cartridges? The 300 PRC seems like a great choice, but availability of factory loadings and components seem to be vaporware, even more so than everything else. Ideally, I would love to go 280 AI, but I'm looking for a not crazy expensive factory rifle, and the Seekins is the most appealing to me, with form, fit, and function all taken into account (I like the way it looks). I know some factory rifles are loaded in 280 AI, but none that interest me like the Havak.

To me, I value lower recoil at least a little, so I'm leaning towards 7mm RM, but if we're going big, 300 PRC obviously gives the most energy, and 300 WM offers the ability to pick ammo up off the shelf pretty much anywhere, if needed.

Looking for thoughts. I'm sure I'm missing something. This seems like an area where a 7mm PRC would be desirable. Mostly because I suspect it would catch on, and if so, I'm betting Seekins would chamber the Havak in it.

Thanks,
-Julian

WCB

WKR
I shoot a 7rem mag and a 300wm...7rem is my go to but honestly out to 500 it doesn't make a difference. I also work in the ammunition/shooting industry. If factory ammunition is your go to those two are the best of all your options and I would say even more so the 300WM.

If you settle on one of the PRCs or even 7rem or 300wm. Once you find a load that shoots to your standards...by a bunch of it so you don't have to worry about finding it all the time. Recoil is another story all together...people don't buy large calibers for recoil considerations...proper gun fit, scope mounting, and shooting form will help immensely.

Skee7533

FNG
I shoot a 7rem mag and a 300wm...7rem is my go to but honestly out to 500 it doesn't make a difference. I also work in the ammunition/shooting industry. If factory ammunition is your go to those two are the best of all your options and I would say even more so the 300WM.

If you settle on one of the PRCs or even 7rem or 300wm. Once you find a load that shoots to your standards...by a bunch of it so you don't have to worry about finding it all the time. Recoil is another story all together...people don't buy large calibers for recoil considerations...proper gun fit, scope mounting, and shooting form will help immensely.
Very much agree

fatlander

WKR

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you want a short barrel and suppressor, get a 308 (larger diameter = less velocity loss with shorter barrel).

Otherwise, I think 7mm hits the sweat spot.

In love with 7Mag. I reload so I can play around with it a ton. Muzzle brakes really help tame any of the big calibers. I can't believe what a difference a brake makes.

chris

For a factory guy doing what you're doing the 7 RM makes the most sense.
Once a guy really starts running the numbers he'll realize the 6.5s bring nothing new to the table, I played around with 156 eols in mine and realized I was never going to make it a 7mm..

Great choice with PH2! I love mine in 300 PRC. Shoots very well. I was tempted to go 7mag. I think their 7 mag has a fairly fast twist rate so if you are shooting heavier monos could be a consideration. I didn’t consider the 6.5 PRC as I have a 6.5 and wanted a much bigger jump.

For a factory guy doing what you're doing the 7 RM makes the most sense.
Once a guy really starts running the numbers he'll realize the 6.5s bring nothing new to the table, I played around with 156 eols in mine and realized I was never going to make it a 7mm..

I love your handle “Ultra MAGA” lol

Heck yeah I’m ultra MAGA too

Looking at picking up a Seekins Havak PH2 and am torn on the cartridge. For context, I'd like to be able to take elk and black bear, which I believe a 6.5 can do, but it's a matter of effective range, and I'd like the option to shoot out to 500, even though I don't feel comfortable shooting past 300-350 yet.

Originally I was thinking the 6.5 PRC as a great hunting round that shoots flat, but I did not really consider ammunition. I am pretty set on solid/mono bullets, the best of which seems to be the 127gr Barnes LRX. Not sure why the .264 LRX bullet is so light, but it is. Running the numbers, that bullet has the same BC as the 168gr TTSX that I shoot right around MOA in my Ruger American Predator.

With that 127gr bullet, neither the 6.5 creed nor the PRC really outperform the 168gr TTSX or 175gr LRX in .308 by a significant margin. And in a more magnum .30 cal, the LRX is offered in weights up to 212gr. In 7mm, it's offered at 168gr. Both of those have great BC and subsequently performance advantages over the 6.5s and the .308, albeit at the cost of recoil. That leaves the 7mm RM, 300 WM, and 300 PRC for available chamberings for the Havak PH2. Is there any disadvantage to belted cartridges? The 300 PRC seems like a great choice, but availability of factory loadings and components seem to be vaporware, even more so than everything else. Ideally, I would love to go 280 AI, but I'm looking for a not crazy expensive factory rifle, and the Seekins is the most appealing to me, with form, fit, and function all taken into account (I like the way it looks). I know some factory rifles are loaded in 280 AI, but none that interest me like the Havak.

To me, I value lower recoil at least a little, so I'm leaning towards 7mm RM, but if we're going big, 300 PRC obviously gives the most energy, and 300 WM offers the ability to pick ammo up off the shelf pretty much anywhere, if needed.

Looking for thoughts. I'm sure I'm missing something. This seems like an area where a 7mm PRC would be desirable. Mostly because I suspect it would catch on, and if so, I'm betting Seekins would chamber the Havak in it.

Thanks,
-Julian
The Havak PH2 is currently available in 7mm PRC.

Jimss

WKR
I probably wouldn't use lighter than a 140ish grain bullet for elk. With that said, have you looked at the drop at 300 to 500 yards with the Creedmore or PRC.? Compare that to the drop on a similar weight 30 cal. I love my 300 WSM. It hardly kicks. I only load one shell in my chamber for all game because I'm that confident it will be dead with 1 shot. I use my 300 WSM for every species antelope, deer, elk, bear, moose, and mtn goat. Not sure I would trust a 6.5 at long range for elk? It obviously will work but very risky! I don't even notice recoil when I shoot my 300 WSM....if that's what you are worried about?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider

Jimss

WKR
I would say a 46" drop at 500 yards is pretty substantial! Also, a drop of over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy. In contrast, a 150 grain bullet in 300 win has around a 27' drop and 1,700 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards.

From looking at a couple tables the creedmore has approximately 19" more drop plus 500 ft/lbs less energy at 500 yards vs close to the same size bullet in 300 win. It's a no brainer which cartridge I'd rather use on a large critter like an elk!

Creedmore table
IMG_0737.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I would say a 46" drop at 500 yards is pretty substantial! Also, a drop of over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy. In contrast, a 150 grain bullet in 300 win has around a 27' drop and 1,700 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards.

From looking at a couple tables the creedmore has approximately 19" more drop plus 500 ft/lbs less energy at 500 yards vs close to the same size bullet in 300 win. It's a no brainer which cartridge I'd rather use on a large critter like an elk!

Creedmore table
View attachment 472722

How many elk have you killed, what cartridges, and what ranges?

z987k

WKR

Creedmore table
View attachment 472722
Drop is pretty irrelevant in the days of rangefinders.