New Backcountry Rifle

I stopped into a Scheels today and took long looks at both the Sig Cross and Savage 110 ultralite both in 6.5 creedmoor. Similar pricing although the savage is a bit cheaper and has the Proof carbon barrel which is a plus. The compact Sig looks very enticing. Any thoughts from anybody that has handled either of these guns? Thanks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The savage gets good reviews from folks that have them. Savages are known to usually be pretty accurate and proof barrels are good stuff. It seems sort of strange to me to take a relatively cheap action, slap a top of the line barre on it then install it all i to a cheap plastic stock but if it shoots….

The sig cross looks cool too, I never saw one in person (I’ve seen the savage in person) but I’ve seen a Christensen MPR, a tikka that had a handle and a fix by Q. All of those are cool rifles.

I stopped into a Scheels today and took long looks at both the Sig Cross and Savage 110 ultralite both in 6.5 creedmoor. Similar pricing although the savage is a bit cheaper and has the Proof carbon barrel which is a plus. The compact Sig looks very enticing. Any thoughts from anybody that has handled either of these guns? Thanks
On these pages, we agonize over our equipment. We can be downright dogged in our defense or criticism of any given piece of equipment, bet it rifle, scope, ammo, bullet etc. But when it comes right down to it, our ability to hunt, and even a little luck, determines the outcome much more frequently than equipment.

The ergonomics, pistol grip, magazine sticking out, and the handguard would steer me away from the Cross for a dedicated back country rig. I prefer the K.I.S.S. approach when picking a rifle for that task. The more simple the less issues you will have. For me I would pick the Savage between the two. Otherwise I would pick a Tikka T3X and buy a prefit Proof barrel for it and have the best action and the best barrel out there.

OP
J
On these pages, we agonize over our equipment. We can be downright dogged in our defense or criticism of any given piece of equipment, bet it rifle, scope, ammo, bullet etc. But when it comes right down to it, our ability to hunt, and even a little luck, determines the outcome much more frequently than equipment.
You are definitely right about this, but buying all these cool toys is half the fun! And I do appreciate people's input on these forums whether I agree or not. I just enjoy talking hunting/shooting with others that have the passion as well

gbflyer

WKR
I find it odd that a person has to wait X amount of months for a Proof barrel yet one can buy a new Savage with it ready to go. Guess I just solved my own quandary. Also I don’t get the point of wrapping a pencil skinny barrel with CF to make it fatter. They do look cool though.

Never bought in to the Tikka hype until I got one. Dang. I think that’s as far as a person needs to go. Superlite is beyond good to go for a packing around light rifle. The quality of workmanship between it and any Savage is night and day. And I’ve got a couple Savages I like too.

You are definitely right about this, but buying all these cool toys is half the fun! And I do appreciate people's input on these forums whether I agree or not. I just enjoy talking hunting/shooting with others that have the passion as well
I fully support any justification for new toys! I use them frequently myself. The truth is that these forums would be pretty boring absent BSing about the largely inconsequential.

BjornF16

WKR
Personally, not a fan of lumping a metal stocked rifle in the cold.

The Savage Ultralite is also "Trued" action in addition to having the Proof barrel. Between these two, the Savage would get the nod.

Disclaimer: I have only handled, not owned the Cross. I own two Savages, neither are the Ultralite.

I grabbed a Cross on a whim in .308. I don't know what the hell I'll use it for, but it's neat! I overscoped it with a Nightforce, and it shoots great with 4 out of 5 factory ammo types I tried in the 165-168 grain range. I like that the stock folds, and I ordered a can for it. I may figure out a whitetail hunt with it or something.

Have the Savage Ultralight in 6.5 PRC and it’s a tack driver; both commercial and hand-loads. The Proof barrel does look cool.

I will not be buying another one. It does not shoot better than my other bone stock Savages or Tikkas. It does not make me a more successful hunter. Basically it’s not worth the $400+ price difference to me.

Buy the oft maligned Savage or Tikka, get hand-loads developed for it, and just go hunting.