New Badlands packs

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep, I saw the Summit while i was at SHOT. Likely the best pack I've seen Badlands come out with. Not sure how the UL fabric will hold up as I didn't hang onto the Scarfice long enough to find out due to teh frame being so flmsy for hauling. That said the Summits frame is indeed stouter. Would love to test run one for a while. Also they are coming out with a UL version of their 2200 as well. Same frame just UL fabric in places from what I gather. Anyways, glad to see Badlands is coming out with some newer stuff, be interesting to see how well it holds up.

shaun

WKR
Yep, I saw the Summit while i was at SHOT. Likely the best pack I've seen Badlands come out with. Not sure how the UL fabric will hold up as I didn't hang onto the Scarfice long enough to find out due to teh frame being so flmsy for hauling. That said the Summits frame is indeed stouter. Would love to test run one for a while. Also they are coming out with a UL version of their 2200 as well. Same frame just UL fabric in places from what I gather. Anyways, glad to see Badlands is coming out with some newer stuff, be interesting to see how well it holds up.

X2 on summit. Now on the new ul stuff they put out I was talking to Issac and he said they should be about 3lbs off there 4500 but the quality of the UL fabric is no where near as strong as the original. Same frame diff fabric. Now for anyone lookin for a deal on 4500 and other day packs camofire just picked up all there older stuff and it should run this week. Just an FYI

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I also looked at this pack at the shot show. This pack has promise. Like Luke I owned the sacrifice and was not happy with it. So I am taking a wait and see on this one.

Craig4791

WKR
If the stays are the same on the 4500 as they were in the past I wouldn't recommend that pack to anyone!

Here is a pic of my broken stays after bending over with a 100 lb load! Snapped them both in half as they are just molded plastic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359318025.815546.jpg

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I was hauling corn in my 4500 to test it out and feed the deer one day, set it down and broke the stays in my 4500. I was in disbelief that they used PLASTIC for a pack that was supposed to be for hauling meat out of the mountains.

If the stays are the same on the 4500 as they were in the past I wouldn't recommend that pack to anyone!

Here is a pic of my broken stays after bending over with a 100 lb load! Snapped them both in half as they are just molded plastic. View attachment 5573

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Here is a pic of my broken stays after bending over with a 100 lb load! Snapped them both in half as they are just molded plastic. View attachment 5573

Craig, I agree. I'd like to see them use their aluminum stays they use in their other packs. I believe they are using the poly-carb stays in the Summit, so that is something to consider for sure, especially after seeing that pic.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I broke several stays in the years I used it. They always sent new ones for free, but it didn't do me any good when in the back country.

The only Badlands pack I have is for my binos, and I it does a great job. That being said, I think I'll stick with my Kifaru for packing the meat off the mountain.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent my fair share of hours under the 4500 and tested it with 125 lbs on a number occasions. The 4500 is a solid pack and definitely has functional load lifters, but the stays do become a bit too flexible under 100 lb loads (Not Good). The only way the stays will break is from not stuffing enough items beneath the load to keep that load higher on your back. If you simply strap a heavy load to the upper back section with little to nothing below it, it will snap those stays like twigs. Of course you could easily go to a local metal shop or order some aluminum flat bar from a business like online metals for $20 and that price includes shipping.

If you buy a Badlands 4500, it is good idea to replace the polycarbonate stays with some 6061 aircraft aluminum ones. However, if you are breaking the polycarbonate stays, you may end up bending the aluminum ones if your not careful. Load your pack correctly and you will have no problems.

Craig4791

WKR
I broke several stays in the years I used it. They always sent new ones for free, but it didn't do me any good when in the back country.

Lol yeah No fun trying to haul a 100lbs out of the backcountry with a pack that has no support. Warranty doesnt do much good at that point.

when I called to have them ship me new stays this I what the guy said! "Let me check, I'm not sure i have any left right now" right then I knew this was an inherent problem with their design if they can't even keep stays on the shelf from ppl breaking them.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
If it came down to it, you could either hang the meat for later and go get/buy a different pack or whittle some sticks to act as some support. That is about the only resource available. Just replace the polycarbonate stays with some aluminum ones and bend them to your liking, thats your best bet for solving the polycarbonate problem.

hunting1

WKR
I always liked the 2200 and packed a few elk with one, but they need a belt that goes smaller and put some real side pockets. I did send it back for zippers and have moved on, but it could be the ultimate pack with minor mods from Badlands.