New bag for very large user? who has experience with big guts and heavy loads?

syoungs

FNG
So I am in the market for a new pack system for this year. I told myself that I would drop some money on a nicer pack once I dropped 100#, to help continue my training.
I am getting close to the 100# mark now, and figure its time to start looking.

Ive been rucking around town with my horn hunter full curl frame and daybag, at a total pack weight of 49#, I try to increase the weight and the fight is on keeping the belt from slipping. I am hoping to get into something with a bigger bag and a little higher end.

I am 6'4, somewhere are a 54" belly where I have to wear a pack to catch my hip bones at this point, that is changing somewhat quickly though.

do any of the pack makers stand out for building stuff for bigger guys? I'm looking hard into Seek outside and Kifaru at this point, but am open to any American made manufacturer. My budget is 600-800$ right now, which I realize may put me into a frame so I can continue training hikes, and buying the pack bag at a later date, or buying any accessories later. I love how my horn hunter functions with the breakaway system, and want to continue using something similar to that.

Any advice from the bigger, or former bigger guys would be appreciated!

sram9102

WKR
No experience with that size but I want to commend you on the weight loss. 100# takes some determination. I would call both SO and Kifaru and have the discussion about belt sizes. Your budget should get you into a frame and bag from either. Congrats again.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery ranch makes a xxl belt that you have to order on the website, I am a bigger than i'd like to be guy myself. They have also been super nice about other things like making me an extender for my bino harness. Give them a call and they will let you know what they have in stock and what they can do out of the shop for you.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a commendable journey and 100 pounds is some serious work. I agree with the other posters to give the companies a call to see what they think. I love my Seek Outside pack and your budget could get you something custom from Seek if you wanted to go down that route.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Mystery ranch makes a xxl belt that you have to order on the website, I am a bigger than i'd like to be guy myself. They have also been super nice about other things like making me an extender for my bino harness. Give them a call and they will let you know what they have in stock and what they can do out of the shop for you.
yep. i am not a small individual... and my mystery ranch packs fit me will.

Jbogg

FNG
Congrats on the weight loss. I use my horn hunter full curl combo 2 to 3 days a week year-round for training hikes trying to keep my legs in shape for the mountains. I have thought about getting a lighter pack, but I have gotten so accustomed to the generous pockets on the horn Hunter that I just can’t pull the trigger. I will be interested to hear what you come up with.

OP
S

syoungs

FNG
Congrats on the weight loss. I use my horn hunter full curl combo 2 to 3 days a week year-round for training hikes trying to keep my legs in shape for the mountains. I have thought about getting a lighter pack, but I have gotten so accustomed to the generous pockets on the horn Hunter that I just can’t pull the trigger. I will be interested to hear what you come up with.
I actually really like the horn hunter system, it's served me well for 7 years now. It's starting to have some loose seams, and the belt itself slips like crazy where it didn't before. It's packed a ton of meat and gear through the years.
I just really like the higher end packs, and were going to start actually packing in to camp instead of day hunting from the truck. I used it as motivation, otherwise I'd probably get another horn hunter frame with the new big bag.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Now quite to 100# gone yet, but only 18# away, and figure with lead time I'll be over 100 by the time whatever I get shows up!

Flogger

FNG
Can’t help with your question but just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss! That takes some serious determination and you should be proud of yourself! Keep up the good work, sir!

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the weight loss. I run around with a beer gut myself, and I've got a Kifaru, Seek Outside, and Stone Glacier. You couldn't go wrong with any of these packs having a gut. I don't have bad slippage with any of them, and have packed heavy loads with them all. It's actually the Stone Glacier (X-Curve frame) that rides the best for me, and has zero slippage. It has upper and lower tension straps on the hip belt that you can adjust the contour of the belt to fit the shape of your waist. That made a noticeable difference with me. With that said, the Seek Outside is probably the frame I use the most. I find it the most comfortable with regular hunting and backpacking loads. I've also packed out an elk and a sheep with it and it did great with minimal slippage, I just think the Stone Glacier does slightly better with heavy loads and slippage with my body shape.

Good luck and keep up the great work!

lkwoolsey

WKR
So I am in the market for a new pack system for this year. I told myself that I would drop some money on a nicer pack once I dropped 100#, to help continue my training.

Ive been rucking around town with my horn hunter full curl frame and daybag, at a total pack weight of 49#, I try to increase the weight and the fight is on keeping the belt from slipping. I am hoping to get into something with a bigger bag and a little higher end.

I am 6'4, somewhere are a 54" belly where I have to wear a pack to catch my hip bones at this point, that is changing somewhat quickly though.

do any of the pack makers stand out for building stuff for bigger guys? I'm looking hard into Seek outside and Kifaru at this point, but am open to any American made manufacturer. My budget is 600-800$ right now, which I realize may put me into a frame so I can continue training hikes, and buying the pack bag at a later date, or buying any accessories later. I love how my horn hunter functions with the breakaway system, and want to continue using something similar to that.

First off, huge congrats on the progress. Thats awesome! A few people have mentioned MR packs. I have one for sale (MR Marshall plus a bunch of accessories), it's the L/XL belt, but it may fill your needs. I have a 44 inch gut, and I have about 14-15 inches of webbing left of the belt on each side when I put it on and cinch it up (not terribly tight, but enough to stay.) The actual padding of the hipbelt wraps all the way around both hipbones with plenty of overlap. Just a thought, if you were interested. Good luck on your search!

solo06

FNG
Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm a bigger guy, and Kifaru makes their pack belts in size XL for 48"+ waist sizes. I also like some extra strap length for fitting over winter layers. That size isn't always listed on their website (not sure why), so if you don't see it, give them a call.

For me, I couldn't be happier with the Kifaru XL belt fit. For me, it carries heavy loads very comfortably and with zero slipping.

I also think the typical advice for finding the pack that fits you best (which is the ultimate goal) applies here too. Each of us is built a little different, so the pack that works best for one person might not be the perfect fit for you.

When shopping for a quality high-end pack that ends up feeling like it has been practically custom-fit for you, expect and enjoy that the best pack companies will have outstanding customer service as well as accommodating return policies. So, call them directly and talk through your needs. Then, order a couple of your top choices, try them on with some weight loaded, and keep the one that truly fits you personally the best. Happy shopping!

My son is 6'-7" and 315#....the only frame that fits him comfortably is the Kifaru. If you have been on their website then you know that they ask you questions about your size to confirm that you are ordering the right size....have not seen that confirmation on other manufacturers websites.

EdP

WKR
Huntingdog45 said:
yep. i am not a small individual... and my mystery ranch packs fit me well.
Well, I am not a big guy (5'8" and 150 lbs), but for what it's worth, my MR fits me well too. I credit their design and the fact that they offer it in a range of sizes. I got the Beartooth 80 in men's S/M and it is the best fitting frame I have ever had. I can carry more weight now at 67 with the MR than I could at 27. I have never had an internal frame pack that I could get to keep enough load on my hips. The Beartooth 80 is a huge pack on a compact frame. The frame supports the load well but stays out of the way, and with smaller loads the large pack straps down very well.

fatrascal

WKR
I'm only 5'9" but I have a gut. (My wife is a good cook). Usually I go into my hunting season with my gut and after hunting season its gone. Not a good or healthy way to lose weight but backpack hunting melts the pounds. Point is though that I can get my Kifaru pack plenty tight on my hips and I dont experience slippage with a full pack. Granted I'm only packing about 50 pounds and sometimes 60 to 65 pounds depending on how long ill be in the mountains. I admit though that when my gut goes away the pack feels better and I enjoy hiking much more. So I suggest waiting until you get down to your desired weight before buying your pack or get the XL and L belt. That way when you put a little weight back on you can use the bigger belt and when you lose weight you can go to the smaller belt. In my case a medium belt works with and without my gut. You might be able to get by with one belt also. Fatrascal20210828_105137.jpg
Me with my gut at the beginning of last hunting season.

geriggs

WKR
Kifaru can do it I believe. They gave me some extra webbing to cinch the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoop383

FNG

6'3" 310 here, the EXOs fit me well. Have a 4800 and actually have a 6400 on the way. Congrats on the loss!