New Bag

Jmort1754

WKR
Hey guys looking for recommendations for sleeping bags. Preferably 0 degree bags and available in tall as I am 6'5.

i'm looking for a 0 degree bag as well. I think i'm gonna try making one myself. I'm gonna use climashield apex 10oz and make a quilt. it seems easy enough and is only gonna cost me $120. if i don't like it i can buy a down bag later but the money for a high end down bag from katabatic or western mountaineering is steep.

AXEL

WKR
I highly recommend a Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF or, my choice, a Sequoia MF.

Buy the 7 ft. size as the extra room is well worth the weight and $$$$.

Nobody makes a "better" bag than WM and it will last longer than you will.

Western Mountaineering makes a seriously nice bag, and their zippers work and don't get jammed up in fabric hardly at all compared to most of the other bags. Feathered Friends makes excellent bags as well. I've used a lot of various bags, but my Western Mountaineering bag is the one that I go for the most.

rlmmarine

WKR
Big agnus park series can't remember the name of the 0 degree bag . Long and wide enough to turn over. Somewhat light, but it has a pocket for your pad so you don't roll off and a pocket to keep you pillow in place. I sleep as good as home every night.

codym

WKR
Just got done with my archery elk hunt, my first with my kifaru slick bag. It was awesome, my tent leaked like crazy but the bag kept me warm and dry. It would dry so quickly when it stopped raining. Great piece of gear, highly recomended!

Hey guys looking for recommendations for sleeping bags. Preferably 0 degree bags and available in tall as I am 6'5.

YouTube

I'd checkout Outdoor Vitals. They just launched their new Loftek insulation which may be the best on the market (at this point).

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
What temp range have you been in with the Sequoia MF? What temp would it be too much bag and you would opt something lighter? I know with the WM bags you can move the down underneath you if desired.

Loco4dux

WKR
I'd be interested in your experiences with the Sequoia as well.... Mine just came in the mail today planning on using it second half of October in Idaho and Utah - hope its warm enough!

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Big agnus park series can't remember the name of the 0 degree bag . Long and wide enough to turn over. Somewhat light, but it has a pocket for your pad so you don't roll off and a pocket to keep you pillow in place. I sleep as good as home every night.

I own this bag, the Whiskey Park 0*

It is very roomy, and the collar seals up nicely. The liner material is a cotton blend, so it feels more like a bed sheet, a plus in my book. If you intend to pack your bag anywhere far, this thing is over six pounds.

For basecamp, it's perfect. Keep in mind, there is ZERO insulation underneath you by design. A good, insulated sleeping pad is especially important with this 'system' style sleeping bag. I use the heavy, yet toasty, exped downmat 9 LW.

I find that thing so cold. There is so much air space since the insulation is pulled to the edges of your pad. Then you move and all your hot farts come out and ya gotta warm the thing up again. The bag wrapping all around you is worth what ever weight you may save with the BA. It is roomy but I have the 15 and when it hits 30 and I put on everything including rain gear on to try bringing up the r value. Also running the silver thermarest so I can't really add any more pad.

Not implying you don't like it, just advocating for the devil a little.

Take a look at Western Mountaineering. Top notch quality and the rated temps are very conservative; other manufacturers tend to me overly optimistic.

I have the Antelope (5*) and absolutely love it.

Don’t even mess around, go straight for a western mountaineering bag and don’t look back.
Have you run that down bag with a bivy? I worry about it getting just a little wet every night and being cold a few days into the hunt. No clue how down works in the real world and you always hear horror stories about it getting wet.

GotDraw?

WKR
@308

Thermarest's Z-lite Sol weighs 14oz but only has an R value of R 2.6, hardly what I would call a winter pad. The fact that it is reflective silver doesn't overrule the low R value.

Thermarest's rectangular Neo Air X-therm, weighs 3 oz more but offers more than 2x the warmth with an R value of R 5.7.

Using a Z lite in cold weather you will continually lose heat to the ground when it's cold, An R-2.6 pad will make your winter bag seem (and be) less effective than it could be.

JL

I find that thing so cold. There is so much air space since the insulation is pulled to the edges of your pad. Then you move and all your hot farts come out and ya gotta warm the thing up again. The bag wrapping all around you is worth what ever weight you may save with the BA. It is roomy but I have the 15 and when it hits 30 and I put on everything including rain gear on to try bringing up the r value. Also running the silver thermarest so I can't really add any more pad.

Not implying you don't like it, just advocating for the devil a little.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have you run that down bag with a bivy? I worry about it getting just a little wet every night and being cold a few days into the hunt. No clue how down works in the real world and you always hear horror stories about it getting wet.

the microfiber she’ll repels most water, a few weeks ago, the shelter I was in leaked all night and I was dry in the bag. I’d imagine a nice bag would solve any potential problems though.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
i'm looking for a 0 degree bag as well. I think i'm gonna try making one myself. I'm gonna use climashield apex 10oz and make a quilt. it seems easy enough and is only gonna cost me $120. if i don't like it i can buy a down bag later but the money for a high end down bag from katabatic or western mountaineering is steep.

If you make one, be sure to document it and tell us how it turned out! I'm really interested!

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider

My brother-in-law spent the first wet/snowy week of deer season up in the Cascades. It was in the 20s and lower at times, super wet, and we were in a single walled pyramid shelter with tons of condensation (I'm talking puddles on your sleeping bag wet), and clouds/mist coming through the tent. My Borah UL bivy wetted out, having to deal with the moisture of me going to bed wet, and the water dumping on it from the tent.

We both have down bags... he has a Kuiu 15* and I have a UGQ quilt. Both have hydrophobic down, his from the factory, me from a wash in Nikwax product. We were both had to sleep ourselves dry a few times, and we were both totally fine over 4 nights.

Now... I can't say if we would be okay over an entire week like that... and I was totally nervous the entire time about our down failing, but it held up great for the time we were there.

@308

Thermarest's Z-lite Sol weighs 14oz but only has an R value of R 2.6, hardly what I would call a winter pad. The fact that it is reflective silver doesn't overrule the low R value.

Thermarest's rectangular Neo Air X-therm, weighs 3 oz more but offers more than 2x the warmth with an R value of R 5.7.

Using a Z lite in cold weather you will continually lose heat to the ground when it's cold, An R-2.6 pad will make your winter bag seem (and be) less effective than it could be.

JL
I didn't realize they made 2 silver pads. I am running the R 5.7 one