New Ballistic rangefinder choices

Rus

FNG
So I’m looking for a rangefinder that is simple to use in hunting situations. Something I can range and it tells me in MILs what to dial then I dial that and shoot. No need for anything extra like kestrels or phones and not interested in ranging 10,000 yards just want to know what to dial and bang! I’m not that familiar with all of the options. I have looked at the sigs and Leica but not sure on what models to get. Any suggestions on certain models that you all have had good luck with. Thanks

bpurtz

WKR
If you are just looking for a compact rangefinder, I'd suggest the Leica 2800.com.

I use Geovids that use the same ABC system and it works great.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
The 2800.com is one I have been looking at also the sig kilo 5k seems like a decent choice but not sure the difference. Also the sig kilo 2200 looks like a good cheaper choice?

ericF

WKR
If you ever think you will upgrade to a Kestrel in future, then I would go sig kilo 2400 bdx. Last time I looked the 2200 wouldn't interface, but the 2400 would and that is what I went with. If you are 100% certain you will never get a kestrel then the 2200 is a great option.

If you ever think you will upgrade to a Kestrel in future, then I would go sig kilo 2400 bdx. Last time I looked the 2200 wouldn't interface, but the 2400 would and that is what I went with. If you are 100% certain you will never get a kestrel then the 2200 is a great option.
Does the 2200bdx tell you what moa/mil you would need on the display or do you have to pair it their app?

I’ve used a friends fury 5k AB several times. Liked them enough that I just ordered a pair. Should be interesting to see how they do this season

I would say it depends on how far you intend to shoot, and how much elevation difference there is between where you practice and where you hunt.

The Leica.com and some of the higher end sigs have on board altimeters etc to factor in the environmental changes. This is not necessary IMO unless you have more extreme swings in atmospheric conditions and/or your shoot past 500 consistently.

The sig bdx without environmentals are nice units, my buddy has one. He is not going to shoot past 500 so it works great. I have the Leica 2800.com and I like it. I do not pair it with a kestrel or app while hunting, but calibrate my dope with the app before hand.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
Thanks. This is good to know as the place I practice and the place I hunt are very different elevations. So might be worth 2800.com

ericF

WKR
Does the 2200bdx tell you what moa/mil you would need on the display or do you have to pair it their app?

I have the 2400bdx paired with the Kestrel so I don't really use the Sig app. That being said you can use the app to get it initially setup for your specific load, ie velocity, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, environment, etc. Once you've done that once the Sig will use the onboard Applied Ballistics UltraLite to provide you a solution on the rangefinder for what you previously entered. You can always update the app if you change something such as altitude, temperature, etc and have it sync back up.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
I’ve used a friends fury 5k AB several times. Liked them enough that I just ordered a pair. Should be interesting to see how they do this season
Yeah the bino RF combo would be ideal. The less things to deal with in the field the better. I would definitely go that route. It just might be difficult to convince my wife I need new $2000 binos!

HuntHigh

FNG
Or you can get the Sig Kilo 8k and it will give you what you want out to about 2000 yards without having it attached to the Kestrel.

HuntHigh

FNG
I dont think the Sig 2200 or 2400 are being made anymore. I'm not positive but I think the Kilo5K and Kilo8k are their upgraded replacements.

Yeah the bino RF combo would be ideal. The less things to deal with in the field the better. I would definitely go that route. It just might be difficult to convince my wife I need new $2000 binos!

I stand by the motto buy once cry once. My fury got here today. So we will see how it performs on some coyotes and abnormal range work. So far the onboard AB interactions have been simple and their come ups match my real world dope out to 1300yrds

OP
R

Rus

FNG
I’ve had Leica 2800.com for a while, super happy with it.
I have heard good things about the 2800.com. The only complaint is that it can be a little tricky to set up initially. Has anyone found this to be true and are the sigs any easier?