New barrel being shipped one week before I leave for my hunt. LOL

Somehow I knew this would happen. When I ordered this new barrel, the wait time said 8-10 weeks. I ordered it the first week of August so I figured I might have a few weeks to screw it on and work up a load before my 3rd season hunt. But knowing my luck I figured it would come close enough to my hunt that I would have just enough time to look at it before I left. LOL

I'll get this new barrel 2 days before I leave. Oh well. Maybe next year. :D

It's probably for the best. My current 7mm-08 barrel is shooting great and it's just a mule deer hunt. That will give me all winter to play with this new .284 Win barrel and have it ready for an elk hunt next year if I don't get drawn for muleys again.

Anyone else had this happen - the new barrel arrives just in time for you to look at it before you leave? ha, ha. sigh.

BigDog00

WKR
I had a similar issue happen last year. I had a custom rifle built that had to be sent back to the smith about 2 weeks before a hunt. Luckily it shot my factory ammo and I was able to use it. I got it back about 3-4 days before the opener. I was at the range verifying everything the few days leading up to the hunt, so I was cutting it very close.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I had a similar issue happen last year. I had a custom rifle built that had to be sent back to the smith about 2 weeks before a hunt. Luckily it shot my factory ammo and I was able to use it. I got it back about 3-4 days before the opener. I was at the range verifying everything the few days leading up to the hunt, so I was cutting it very close.
That is cutting it close. Hope you got to use it on the hunt!

There is a public range I always visit near where I hunt that goes out to 400 yards. It's a great place to check zero at elevation since my home range is at 300 ft. and usually hot and humid. I just don't know if I have the guts to spin one on a couple days before my hunt! LOL

If this was an elk hunt I'd think about it. But since it's just for a mule deer, I think my 7mm-08 will be fine, thankfully.

rayporter

WKR
just in case there are folks not paying attention=========

now is the time to get next years barrels and work done!

i am just a couple weeks away from a new action and a new stock. they have been ordered for a while.

the barrel has been at the smiths for a month.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
just in case there are folks not paying attention=========

now is the time to get next years barrels and work done!

i am just a couple weeks away from a new action and a new stock. they have been ordered for a while.

the barrel has been at the smiths for a month.
Great point!

Just to be clear, I was never counting on this new barrel for this hunt. If it had come a month ago, I would have considered using it, pending load development, but I knew better than to order a barrel that late in the year and expect to use it on a fall hunt.

nksmfamjp

FNG
I know I don’t. I would want a minimum of three months. With components available, maybe 1mo.