New barrel for Ruger????

MAP1

FNG
I have a 10 year old Ruger American 30-06 with a newer Bell & Carlson stock, Timney Trigger and Leupold scope. I’ve bedded the barrel and tried several different ammo still not happy with the groups. Is it possible to put a custom barrel and new action that would fit the existing components? If so what barrel company? I may be better off keeping the scope and selling the components if the cost for a barrel approaches the $1000 I could get a nice new gun with? Any info appreciated.

Wapiti1

WKR
It can be rebarreled and the action squared up. Cost would be in the $500 area for a steel barrel, and closer to $900 for carbon. It may just need to be bedded, though.

Is it worth it? Up to you.

Jeremy

amassi

WKR
I think you answered your own question, sell your American and buy something else. Too many accurate sub $1K rifles to Futz with an American

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
preferred barrel blanks make prefits for ruger americans that us a barrel nut. A basic barrel should be between 4-450.

I have a 10 year old Ruger American 30-06 with a newer Bell & Carlson stock, Timney Trigger and Leupold scope. I’ve bedded the barrel and tried several different ammo still not happy with the groups. Is it possible to put a custom barrel and new action that would fit the existing components? If so what barrel company? I may be better off keeping the scope and selling the components if the cost for a barrel approaches the $1000 I could get a nice new gun with? Any info appreciated.
Its not super hard to find a 1/2 to 3/4 moa factory rifle nowadays. I refuse to build a custom rifle, I am always buying and selling and they will sell for 50 cents on the dollar, so you take a huge bath reselling a custom or even semi custom. If my rifles won’t shoot 1/2 moa groups with premium factory ammo, they kicked down the road. I would just sell it and buy something else. I have shot plenty of 1/2 moa ruger americans, you must have just gotten a bad one.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 10 year old Ruger American 30-06 with a newer Bell & Carlson stock, Timney Trigger and Leupold scope. I’ve bedded the barrel and tried several different ammo still not happy with the groups.
First question, bedded the barrel? Unless you mean action, highly likely there's your issue. Any barrel company will spin a barrel up for that if you love it. As stated above Preferred Barrel Blanks will do a great job on a budget steel replacement, and if you send your barreled action in for an extra $90 they'll yank the current one, shoulder, time, and gauge the new one for you. If you don't love it, time for a fresh start.

Its not super hard to find a 1/2 to 3/4 moa factory rifle nowadays. I refuse to build a custom rifle, I am always buying and selling and they will sell for 50 cents on the dollar, so you take a huge bath reselling a custom or even semi custom.
Show me a rifle in the Ruger American budget that can hold 1/2-3/4 MOA precision out to 800 with factory ammo, and I'll buy it right now. I'm not sure where you're finding these half priced custom rifles but I'd sure love to see the link, everything listed on all the forums I browse is pretty much the cost of everything into the rifle just added up, and if it was built by a reputable smith they don't seem to sit long.

First question, bedded the barrel? Unless you mean action, highly likely there's your issue. Any barrel company will spin a barrel up for that if you love it. As stated above Preferred Barrel Blanks will do a great job on a budget steel replacement, and if you send your barreled action in for an extra $90 they'll yank the current one, shoulder, time, and gauge the new one for you. If you don't love it, time for a fresh start.

Show me a rifle in the Ruger American budget that can hold 1/2-3/4 MOA precision out to 800 with factory ammo, and I'll buy it right now. I'm not sure where you're finding these half priced custom rifles but I'd sure love to see the link, everything listed on all the forums I browse is pretty much the cost of everything into the rifle just added up, and if it was built by a reputable smith they don't seem to sit long.
You must not shoot a lot of different rifles. Ruger American, Tikka, Savage, even the TC compass will print 1/2 moa groups. There is a lot of data over on LRH. You must be one of those custom rifle snobs, spend your money on whatever you want, I am just saying you don’t have to spend a lot of money nowadays to get a shooter. The hard reality is there aren’t many 1/2 moa shooters, so you may never shoot a 1/2 moa group consistently, doesn’t mean the rifle isn’t capable 🤷🏻‍♂️

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
You must not shoot a lot of different rifles. Ruger American, Tikka, Savage, even the TC compass will print 1/2 moa groups. There is a lot of data over on LRH. You must be one of those custom rifle snobs, spend your money on whatever you want, I am just saying you don’t have to spend a lot of money nowadays to get a shooter. The hard reality is there aren’t many 1/2 moa shooters, so you may never shoot a 1/2 moa group consistently, doesn’t mean the rifle isn’t capable 🤷🏻‍♂️
You know nothing about what I have, or what I shoot. Looks like you fall into the "my rifle shot a 1/2" group, so it's a 1/2 MOA rifle" category. Lots of wounded animals from that mentality. Post proof of your factory rifle and ammo holding 1/2 MOA at extended range, we'd all love to see it.

I know things are wild nowadays, but I'm pretty sure 500 yards is still 300 short of the 800 I specified..
Lol - I’ll see if I can find one of my 1000 or 1250 yard targets. For the record you didn’t specify it had to be 800 in your request. I shoot all the time dude. Maybe you can show me a 500 yard target with a .4 moa group. I am guessing you don’t have one. I know several custom rifle shooters that can’t do that. Hell, I would take a target you shot at 100 with a .5 moa group.

I think you were caught off guard that I backed up what I was saying. Not everyone on the internet is a keyboard ninja like you 🥰

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Lol - I’ll see if I can find one of my 1000 or 1250 yard targets. For the record you didn’t specify it had to be 800 in your request. I shoot all the time dude. Maybe you can show me a 500 yard target with a .4 moa group. I am guessing you don’t have one. I know several custom rifle shooters that can’t do that. Hell, I would take a target you shot at 100 with a .5 moa group.

I think you were caught off guard that I backed up what I was saying. Not everyone on the internet is a keyboard ninja like you 🥰
Scroll up and check out my first response. I'm not caught off guard at all, and I never claimed to be able to do anything special, I'm just still calling bs that you have a bunch of factory rifles legitimately holding 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards with factory ammo.

Scroll up and check out my first response. I'm not caught off guard at all, and I never claimed to be able to do anything special, I'm just still calling bs that you have a bunch of factory rifles legitimately holding 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards with factory ammo.
You keep moving the bar man, first it was 800, now it is 1000. I have 4 bolt actions rifles, all are .5 moa rifles or better with factory ammo. If they don’t shoot that good, I sell them.

And everybody knows that custom rifles don’t hold their value…sure threads pop up all the time with guys asking close to what they paid, they never sell for what they are asking. Pennies on the dollar.